PDA

View Full Version : When will we see a 64bit Spybot?

incogneato
2008-07-11, 23:18
I would love to see a native 64bit Spybot. It would be hella faster and I love using as many 64bit apps as possible. Help bring on the future! :)

(Yes, I know that it's 64bit compatible so don't bring it up).

Thanks for a great product!:euro:

drragostea
2008-07-12, 01:42
You are aware that Spybot-SD is supported... by 32-bit and 64-bit Windows OS's correct?
--
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html
--

2008-07-12, 02:41
(Yes, I know that it's 64bit compatible so don't bring it up).

:euro:

He already knew that. :laugh:

drragostea
2008-07-12, 03:33
Then why bring it up in the first place?

2008-07-12, 05:59
haha, I am not sure why/what he was asking....... :red: I just wanted to point out he said that......and i was going to edit and add and say honestly i don't know why, but spybot forum logged me out.....so i could not edit it ha.

drragostea
2008-07-12, 06:04
Yea, Spybot Forums has a habit of logging users out in 20 minutes of no activity. Seems like a security measure.

129260, just forget what I said. No worries.

Just await a response from the user.

incogneato
2008-07-13, 08:31
i guess ill have to explain:

NATIVE 64bit programs mean the program is written in 64bit which takes advantage of the extra speed of 64bit processors, operating systems, extra RAM, etc. Spybot right now is 64bit compatible. Meaning it just works on 64bit Operating Systems.

I love using 64bit software. It is the future of computing and if you have Vista I highly recommend installing the 64bit version (you gain many benefits and NO negatives).

So I am wondering if Spybot developers ever plan to make a true 64bit version of Spybot. It would be much faster and you would be helping bringing forth the future of computers!

wyrmrider
2008-07-13, 18:57
Actually for the memory use spybot needs and the type of code using 64 bit code might increase code size but would offer no extra benefits except for 64 bit moves and string operations if they could be used
not worth supporting two different versions
If there were a couple of key areas they could be included
However
in general for the scientific stuff we run 64 bit is a godsend
good thoughts
thanks

Neckername
2008-07-13, 19:12
Actually 64-bit OSes are built and run differently, so different viruses (very few are different) may appear, but however more processor cores and power, up to 8GB DDR3, and all kinds of other stuff like said before don't matter if the application is not processor power/memory use intensive.

incogneato
2008-07-15, 02:50
so any developers out here that can answer if theres any 64bit native plans for spybot?

PepiMK
2008-07-15, 10:25
64 bit applications are not really faster if they're not moving around huge chunks of data ;) (which we partly do, admitted; a lot of hash algorithms might have to be optimized for 64 bit ;) )

Just remember the whole Windows 3.1 to Windows 32 / Windows 95 story (if you remember): everyone talked about how much faster 32 bit would be, but most software was actually slower.

As for plans and the "when": that's mostly a compiler question. 2.0 should be modularized enough to make an easier switch to FreePascal (http://freepascal.org/), which already has 64 support. Our currently used compiler and IDE (which would allow a quicker 64 bit recompile of existing versions), Delphi, had promised 64 bit support for versions that are already out, but they've been postponing that (http://qc.codegear.com/wc/qcmain.aspx?d=7324). Now that Embarcadero has bought CodeGear, there might be hope on the horizont since Embarcadero as a database-centered company might see the advantages and needs for 64 bit support. In January, at least the severity of the issue has been pushed to the highest priority.

incogneato
2008-07-17, 22:18
^thanks very much for a great and informative reply

mcclausky
2009-04-22, 00:19
Hello,

Sorry for resuscitating this post after some time.

I love Spybot and installed it on my x64 machine. It runs and works fine, expect for one detail: System Startup. The list shows only 32 bit programs that will load on startup! 64 bit programs are not shown.

Do we need a 64 bit Spybot version for this feature to work correctly?

Thanks.

Mc

PepiMK
2009-04-22, 13:49
See RunAlyzer: both 32 and 64 bit entries can be shown at the same time. RunAlyzer will (under a different name) be the Tools section replacement part of Spybot 2.0.