PDA

View Full Version : Spybot Entry in Recycle Bin Menu

rjemery
2008-07-12, 02:23
I am running Spybot S&D 1.6.0.30 on an XP Pro SP3 system. After installing 1.6.0.30, I noticed that when I right-click on the Recycle bin, an entry appears as follows: "Scan using Spybot-Search&Destroy".

How do I eliminate that entry?

drragostea
2008-07-12, 02:47
Technically, the only way to remove it is to uncheck it during installation (for now). Read the thread.
--
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30716

rjemery
2008-07-12, 04:27
Technically, the only way to remove it is to uncheck it during installation (for now).

Okay. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the package opting to forgo the right-click clutter. Thanks for the resolution.

drragostea
2008-07-12, 04:36
Glad to be of help.

:welcome: to SaferNetworking Forums.

Greyfox
2008-07-12, 12:06
Okay. I've uninstalled/reinstalled the package opting to forgo the right-click clutter. Thanks for the resolution.

rjemery,

I'm curious. Why go to that bother to remove the feature from all right click menus. I agree it is most unlikely to be used from a right click on the recycle bin, but it might come in handy at some stage from file Explorer. Why not leave it there and just not use it?

rjemery
2008-07-12, 12:42
I'm curious. Why go to that bother to remove the feature from all right click menus. I agree it is most unlikely to be used from a right click on the recycle bin, but it might come in handy at some stage from file Explorer. Why not leave it there and just not use it?
I have no pressing need for that option. Too many applications automatically put too much into such right-click menus, and those menus rapidly become cluttered with choices I rarely if ever use. I like to keep things clean and simple. Besides, if I really did need that option, I'm sure there are other ways of invoking it.

Greyfox
2008-07-12, 16:09
rjemery,

OK thanks for the answer, as I said, I was just curious.

You might be interested in this:-

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=210998&postcount=9

normanishmael
2008-07-12, 16:24
If the thread is still active,I would like to have the right-click option but I do not.
I also downloaded spybot without teatimer.
Is that why its not in my right-click context menu?
thanks

rjemery
2008-07-12, 17:14
If the thread is still active,I would like to have the right-click option but I do not.
Play it safe. First uninstall Spybot 1.6. Then re-install 1.6. Choose Custom Installation. Enable "Separate Secure Shredder Application" and/or "Explorer file scan plugin (in the context menu)".

I also downloaded spybot without teatimer.
Is that why its not in my right-click context menu?
thanks
Not very likely. I normally download with Tea Timer but disable that option along with SDHelper during the install. I would suggest you download anew with Tea Timer, and use that new install file for your re-install, enabling or disabling Tea Timer/SDHelper as you see fit. That way you would have the all the bells and whistles at your disposal.

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-12, 17:55
rjemery:

During the installation of Spybot when you "Select Additional Tasks", even if you uncheck these items:
Use Internet Explorer protection (SDHelper)
Use system settings protection (TeaTimer)
You can activate them later by going into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident and then under the heading "Resident protection status" checking one or both of these items:
Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.

rjemery
2008-07-12, 18:29
During the installation of Spybot when you "Select Additional Tasks", even if you uncheck these items:
Use Internet Explorer protection (SDHelper)
Use system settings protection (TeaTimer)
You can activate them later by going into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident and then under the heading "Resident protection status" checking one or both of these items:
Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.
Excellent! Good to know.

normanishmael
2008-07-12, 18:34
Thanks folks,that was what I needed.
Cant compute without SpyBot!