PDA

View Full Version : Problems with SpyBoy 6

pcguy
2008-07-13, 09:07
I used to recommend SpyBot Search N Destroy to people but stopped due to it excessive CPU usage, so much so on older machines that there would be no way to stop the scanning process once it started.

I noticed that there was a version 6 released so I decided to give it another try. Well I attempted to install it on two different computers with XP Pro. Both have 2 GB of memory one is a laptop and the other is a AMD64 3500+ CPU. Both of these machines had the prior version of SpyBot installed on them. With the the latop I unistalled the application since the progress bar proceeded to the end of the bar and it appeared that the application hung since it did not appear to do anything. With the second machine I left Spybot install progress bar sit at 100% and lo and behold the installation completed. I then proceeded to perform a scan and again the progress bar went all the way to 100% and again I thought that the app hung, but it apparently was still scanning even though I did not see any hard drive activity.

It would be nice if when using a progress bar that when it reached 100% the installation would finish as soon as possible afterwards rather than have the bar sit on the screen without any indication that the app is doing anything.
The same goes for the scanning process.

Neckername
2008-07-13, 18:24
You should wait until next update, from what I've heard from the high ranking ppl on the forums, most bugs will be fixed in the next update. Another life lesson, never buy or get things as soon as they come out, they always have bugs! (ex: Xbox + Xbox 360 = overheating when they first came out, but now thats fixed).

pcguy
2008-07-13, 18:38
Problem is that I have lost confidence in Spybot Search & Destroy in getting this app under control. As I said previously I stopped recommending the product to people due in part to my experiences as well as reviews that I have read from several sources saying that its detection capabilities have dropped off.

wyrmrider
2008-07-13, 18:38
Necker
There will Always be a next update
1.6 Was the next update from two betas and two release candidates
there will be another next update to 1.6 but for MOST people 1.6 fixes many "features" of 1.5 and is faster
there may be something else going on here

1 incomplete removal of previous versions being a major cause, especially when several versions have been updated over the years
2 interference with Zone Alarm
3 T-Timer interfering with other anit-spyware software (or vice versa :)

so
OP
turn off T-timer (advanced mode) and report back
OS, version, other software, etc

WE recommend that everyone update ESPECIALLY 1.3 users who continue to use 1.3 as their own technical support if they delete critical system files
Quarantine- do not delete any hits

PC GUY
Spybot scans differently than other Anti-spyware programs
See the Sticky by MD_USA_SPybot_fan above
essentially it looks where each specific malware hides rather than scanning every file on your system
for this it is very valuable
Spybot hits the main baddies but will not look good against those systems that count each part of each infection multiple times and also usually inflate the count of minor problems and tracking cookies as an inducement to purchase

You are welcome to purchase Sunbelt Counterspy, Webroot Spysweeper, or Spyware Doctor and for trojans -trojan hunter
all will give you excellent service but each has their own "quirks"

the rest are not in this league but you could try free for individual use SuperANtiSpy (SAS) or Spyware Terminator or for trojans A-Squared
Cavet Emptor
however watch for False Positives with ANY of these programs (and spybot)

now let's get your problem FIXED
there is a REASON
and whatever it is will most likely affect other systems in a similar way

pcguy
2008-07-24, 23:36
I can not even get SpyBot 6 GUI to load. I had foolishly configured it to automatically update the definitions when it is started and all I am is is the progress bar with it all the way to the right. CPU in this old AM64 3500+ is being pegged at 97% by SpyBot.