PDA

View Full Version : No internet after registry denial

blubblub
2008-07-13, 11:39
Yesterday I switched off my computer and this morning I restarted it. I forgot there were some windows updates and denied a registry entry. After that my internet did not work anymore (am using a friends computer now).

I went over the log from SpyBot and found the registry denial entry:
"KernelFaultCheck" (new data: "%systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k" ) added in System Startup global entry!

How can I 'undo' this denial and allow it?

Thanks already for your respond.

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-13, 13:59
blubblub:

That startup entry is not the cause of your inability to log onto the internet. There must be another cause.

Dumprep is used in connection with memory dumps. If a serious error occurs, Dumprep.exe writes the error details to a text file. The Dumprep.exe tool then prompts you to send the error information to Microsoft.

The following startup entry us a normal startup entry that is created the first time that Dumprep.exe runs, but it is optional (in other words it really doesn't matter if the startup entry exists or not):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"KernelFaultCheck"="%systemroot%\\system32\\dumprep 0 -k"
The startup entry is optional because the program will load when required if it is not loaded at system startup. Besides, if not loaded at system startup it will not use up any system resources until it is required.