PDA

View Full Version : [Issue 062] Warning Message after Immunization

oh no
2006-03-19, 18:25
Does anyone know why a warning message like this appears after immunization?

"8268 bad products already blocked, 971 additional protections possible. Please immunize."

I'm using the integrated update function to search and download updates after selecting a download site.

Also, it used to take about 20 minutes to search approximately 36000 files. Now it takes about 2-3 hours.

Any assistance or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-19, 19:55
There are new updates (2006-03-19) and your counts after those updates should total 9428.

The problem with not being able to fully immunizing usually is because of other products running in your system. Some third party Internet Explorer tools and anti-spyware products affect Spybot’s immunization:
Cookie Pal removes cookie blocking registry entries put in place by Spybot.
Webroot’s Spy Sweeper IE Security Shield blocks some of the restricted zone entries that Spybot attempts to add to the registry.
Every once and a while immunizing with Spybot, Microsoft AntiSpyware reports that something is being added to the Trusted Sites Zone in Internet explorer. The report from Microsoft AntiSpyware is a false positive.
If you use other products such as SpywareBlaster, IE-Spyad, etc. that also add the same type of registry entries that Spybot uses and then remove those products, it can remove some of Spybot’s immunization.

Please list other software that you run.

oh no
2006-03-19, 23:54
Thanks for the speedy response md usa.

I am running:

Win NT SP1.0
IE 6
Spyware Blaster v3.5.1 (this had been highly recommended by S7D)
Spybot S&D 1.4, Update 2006-3-10

When I use the integrated update to check for any further updates, I get an entry for detection rules with a red question mark (2006-03-19). The S&D download page says only users who will not use the integrated update need to download these detection rules. What about other fixes in 2006-3-19?:confused:

Question: When using the integrated update function, does the user get the very latest update or just one update later than the update they have previously downloaded?:scratch:

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-20, 05:59
When you update you get the latest updates.

Go into Spybot > Immunize.
What message do you get?
Click on the "Immunize button" at the top of the screen.
What is the message in the "Permanent Internet Explorer immunity" section next to the big green check mark?
Click on the Check again button.
What message do you get?

oh no
2006-03-20, 06:36
Go into Spybot > Immunize.

What message do you get?
All known bad products are already blocked.

Click on the "Immunize button" at the top of the screen.
9239 bad products are blocked.

What is the message in the "Permanent Internet Explorer immunity" section next to the big green check mark?
Browser helper to block bad downloads is installed.

Click on the Check again button.

What message do you get?
All known bad products are already blocked.

:bigthumb:

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-20, 13:22
Now get the lastes updates (2006-03-19) and immunize again and you should be all set.

oh no
2006-03-20, 14:15
Yes, all is ok now - 9428 bad products blocked as of 2006-3-19.:)

At first, the immunize button on the left side reported additional fixes possible. Then it changed to all bad products blocked after I used the immunize button on top.

I assume the update level noted on the S&D info page doesn't change until a reboot is done. Right?

Thank you for the great assistance! Hopefully, a fix for the scan time will be forthcoming. Then we'll have the Spybot I have always known.

When you get a few minutes, sure would appreciate a brief explanation for the problem I had.

I was hesitant to post my problem at first. There appear to be many "gurus" here and I was intimated. I hope others at my newbie level will take note of my great experience here.

Thanks again. You are :crowned:

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-20, 14:54
At first, the immunize button on the left side reported additional fixes possible. Then it changed to all bad products blocked after I used the immunize button on top.
The Immunize button in the left pane when you first start Spybot only puts you into the Immunize screen, it does not immunize. When you go into Immunize screen, immunization is checked but the actual immunization is not done until you click the "Immunize" button (big green plus sign) at the top of the right pane.

I assume the update level noted on the S&D info page doesn't change until a reboot is done. Right?
Although I have never personally tested it, it has been reported that if you use the manual update that "Latest detection update" date does not change.

After updates using the integrated update facility, I always exit Spybot and restart it to make sure that the latest update are loaded and recognized and I have never had a problem with the date

When you get a few minutes, sure would appreciate a brief explanation for the problem I had.
I think that you may have assumed that by going into the Immunize screen that you were immunizing and had not actually clicked the "Immunize" button. The items that you were seeing already immunize were the entries either from a previous Spybot immunization and/or from the registry entries added by SpywareBlaster.

oh no
2006-03-22, 06:18
Hi md usa,

Just to let you know, the Spybot info page now shows the correct update, 2006-03-19, since exiting and returning.

I ran another scan and it seemed somewhat faster - about 1 1/2 hours vs. the 2-3 it had been taking. Spybot is now hustling through 36xxx-38xxx "files"! I particularly noted that while it was on Zwax rather long, the numbers continued to increment quickly and I didn't notice a complete halt. I had "fixed" the Pipas.A previously and it showed up again in this latest scan.

I've been having a sporadic problem with my system hanging on startup that appears to be gone now. Don't know what caused that or what took it away, but it's interesting that I just loaded SypwareBlaster's latest updates also.

Lastly, you're absolutely right about my thinking I was immunizing using the button in the left pane. Won't do that again! :rolleyes: