PDA

View Full Version : Resident SDHelper slow in 1.6

Geraud
2008-07-14, 07:17
I've just installed the Spybot 1.6.0.30 and notice that Resident SDHelper is slowing down my computer a lot. This only applies to SDHelper, and not TeaTimer. TeaTimer works fine for me. It is definitely SDHelper in version 1.6 that is slowing my machine down. It did not do this in version 1.5.

I think it is affecting Explorer and IE. All I have to do is click on "My Computer" and it takes about two seconds to open the folder for viewing. If I just disable SDHelper, the folder opens instantly. I've tried toggling SDHelper on and off several times and the difference is consistent and very noticeable. I've also noticed a huge slowdown in internet browsing with the new SDHelper enabled. I think the problem is the same on my other machine as well. Is anyone else noticing this?

meftmeft
2008-07-22, 00:11
I've exactly the same problem : SDhelper slows down Explorer & IExplorer with Spybot 1.6.0.30 (was not the case with 1.5)
Disabling SDhelper option resolves the problem (but not safely I guess...)
My configuration: Windows XP Pro SP2, ZoneAlarm, Global (Hosts) vaccination OFF.

I go back to Spybot 1.5 for now...:sad:

DougCuk
2008-08-01, 00:04
After upgrading to v1.6 of Spybot I am seeing a 3 second delay when opening either Windows Explorer or My Computer - and this repeats on every change of folder - so flipping between folders becomes very annoying as each change has this 3 second pause. The right-hand file window remains blank during the delay.

I have tracked this delay to the SDHelper (aka Resident IE) component of Spybot - switching off the SDHelper eliminates the delay. Activating SDHelper turns the delay back on - but only for any new Windows Explorer windows - any pre-existing windows remain ok and function without the delay.

Both the computers showing this problem are using XP-Pro on a 3Ghz P4 with 1Gb Ram - so normally folders open almost instantly. I run a very lean XP setup with only 26 resident processes - the only extras being AVG Free v8 without the LinkScanner or Office plugin loaded. Normally I would see 600-700k of free RAM. The problem exists under both SP2 and SP3 and with both IE6 and IE7.

I have recently installed on two computers running XP Home without any problem.

I have already tried a full undo of all protections, uninstall and reinstall of Spybot v1.6 without any change. TeaTimer has no effect on this delay problem - but the new Beta version is a great improvement over the standard version.

Guingion
2008-08-03, 12:32
I didn't link my slowed-down-explorer to SD-Helper until I stumbled on this topic. So, yes I'm suffering of the same problem. When I open explorer it needs much time to search for the files in the right window or it doesn't seem to open at all for a minute or so. Never had this before. Stopping SD-Helper makes the opening quick and easy again. I have also version 1.6 installed recently.
I have Windows XP Home SP3 and IE 6.

DougCuk
2008-08-04, 09:11
Join the club Guingion.
Glad you found the cause - took me a while and like you I just stumbled on it in the forums.

jmj713
2008-08-06, 18:07
I've posted this thread a few weeks back: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30975 (look especially at this post: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=217835&postcount=13)

Seems the issue is becoming larger, so maybe something will be done to fix this bug soon.

rogerfgay
2008-08-06, 18:22
I think it is affecting Explorer and IE. All I have to do is click on "My Computer" and it takes about two seconds to open the folder for viewing. If I just disable SDHelper, the folder opens instantly. I've tried toggling SDHelper on and off several times and the difference is consistent and very noticeable. I've also noticed a huge slowdown in internet browsing with the new SDHelper enabled. I think the problem is the same on my other machine as well. Is anyone else noticing this?

OK ... my computer has slowed down to a snail's pace as well after installing 1.6. Turned this expensive piece of hardware into a joke, it did.

I don't know what happens when SDHelper is disabled (does that disable Spybot?) ... or how to disable it.

How can I get my hands on a copy of v 1.5 now that I've installed 1.6? I don't have a 1.5 backup on my system.

shortwave
2008-08-06, 19:26
You can get all the older versions at "FileHippo"

jmj713
2008-08-06, 20:52
I don't know what happens when SDHelper is disabled (does that disable Spybot?) ... or how to disable it.

In IE7 go to Tools > Manage Add-Ons > Enable or Disable Add-Ons and disable the "Spybot-SD IE Protection (SDHelper.dll)". This will let you keep the new Spybot.

rogerfgay
2008-08-06, 21:14
In IE7 go to Tools > Manage Add-Ons > Enable or Disable Add-Ons and disable the "Spybot-SD IE Protection (SDHelper.dll)". This will let you keep the new Spybot.

Wow. What a difference. Thanks.

d4l3d
2008-08-06, 21:56
Just tried 1.6 again today and I'm also having the before-mentioned bog down problems in IE and Windows.

I want understand what I'm reading. If I untick SDHelper in Spybot will that help the Windows problem as well as the IE problem? If not, do I need to untick TeaTimer too?

And, if I untick SDHelper, what am I sacrificing? Wouldn't it be more secure to stay with 1.5.2 for the time being?

DougCuk
2008-08-07, 01:03
For me unticking SDHelper removed the 3 second delay in opening folders in Windows Explorer/My Computer. I was not experiencing a slowdown in IE7 but others have stated it can also cure the slowdown seen in Internet Explorer.

As I understand it you are loosing a certain degree of first line protection provided as a Browser Helper Object. The Help file describes SDHelper as follows: A browser helper for Internet Explorer that will block download of files known as malicious (spyware installers for example).

Until this problem is fixed I am trusting that the spyware protection in AVG v8 and TeaTimer can protect me - but I do feel a tad exposed with an integral part of Spybot disabled. So far I have been unable to isolate what added factors trigger this problem - I have two computers with the problem and two that do not - all with almost identical configurations. I am seriously considering doing a clean install of XP on one of the pc's that currently shows the fault and trying to isolate at what stage the problem appears.

d4l3d
2008-08-07, 03:58
DougCuk, I echo your equivocation.

Unless I disable SDHelper and take my chances I, like you, am not sure how much I rely on it in relation to my other security apps. This is my only machine so I'm not willing to experiment.
Looks like I'll be staying with 1.5.2 until we get a definitive fix.

BTW, I was aware of the manual entry. I thought if I expressed my question that way, I might get a little more "real world" info.

You gave me exactly what I needed. Thanks

MikeMcD
2008-08-08, 01:17
I did the same automatic upgrade (as d&ss1) to 1.6.0.31 last night and now my system is so slow it's unusable (it's my work PC), so now I'm in a panic. The worst is my email client software, Sea-Monkey, it now takes forever just to move from email to email.

1) What can I do to get the original speed back? Are there adjustments or tweaks I can do to stop the slowdown?
2) Or should I uninstall 1.6 and reinstall 1.5? Would this be the safest choice?
3) Should I have uninstalled 1.5 before I installed 1.6? (The automatic process did not present this as a choice)

Thanks!!!

Above is my post in another thread, posted before I saw this...
Is v 1.6 a beta version?
So Guingion, how do you turn off SD-Helper?
Will this fix all the "slow" problems, including my SeaMonkey email?
Or would it just be better to go back to v1.5?

Thanks!
Mike

DougCuk
2008-08-08, 07:48
I have yet to establish what changes were made in this new update 1.6.0.31 as I can find nothing documented anywhere - my system is still on v1.6.0.30. There may be some new slowdown problem in this update or it may be the same problem others have seen before. At this point in time it is unclear to me.

If you wish to try disabling SDHelper to test if it is the cause here are the options.

You can disable the SDHelper (aka Resident IE Browser Helper Object) from several places.
1. Inside the Spybot program from the Advanced menu via Tools->Resident - SDHelper tickbox.
2. From the TeaTimer/SD Resident system tray icon - via the right click menu - open the Resident IE section and untick the "Use Resident in IE Sessions" option.
3. Inside IE use the Tools->Manage Addons menu and disable the Spybot-SD IE Protection item.

Reboot and check if the problem disappears - If it makes no difference turn it back on again.

MikeMcD
2008-08-08, 07:49
1.6 has apparently slowed down my PC too.
I use SeaMonkey (Mozilla) browser and email client, which is unusable
Disabling SDHelper, under advanced mode, makes no difference
There does not appear to be a solution to this,
Looks like I need to uninstall 1.6 and reinstall 1.5
Anyone have a better idea?

I blame this, ultimately, on the internet, and all the sickos that put out all this nasty s_it out there. My former rocket ship P4 had been reduced to a piece of crap. I had the same experience going from AVG v7.5 to v8, it turned my PC into a rock.

RolaPL
2008-08-08, 10:08
Hello everybody, I've just registered here in order to report the same problem.

I confirm that it is SD-Helper that slows things down (that is: if you disable it as described above things get back to normal) - my browser has 8-10 second delays - not only when launching, but also when browsing to next page (often with "not responding" on title bar). Another thing I observed is that when the page features ads (banners, flash thingies) the delays probably multiply with each object (i.e. as if it was scanning it or something). Browsing is slow just like in my modem days - this is unbearable.

For the time being - until the problem is resolved - I'm switching back to 1.5.2 and suggest the same for others. Disabling SD-Helper makes you more vulnerable - Spybot removes bad software, but it's better not getting infected in the first place, right? I'd rather stick to outdated protection than no protection at all (or a very slow system).

System: WinXP Pro SP2
Browser: IE6
Hardware: P4@2.6GHz, 512MB RAM

blues
2008-08-08, 10:18
is the SD-Helper really needed when the sites it blocks already are placed in the restricted zone and some of them in the hostsfile? i have it turned on right now.

jdgonko
2008-08-09, 00:53
I installed the new SB version, noticed IE became horribly slow, disabled the SDHelper via the SB window, and IE started to run as fast as before (when I used the previous SB version with its SDHelper).

This is a dual 3.2ghz Xeon system (4 logical processors) with 12GB of mem and 12-disk RAID5 array. IE was pegging frequently at 25-31% (meaning a bit more than one logical processor fully used) when loading web pages and with the new version's SDHelper active. Turing off the new SDHelper has eliminated all of the 'wait times.'

Is there a bit of messed-up code in the SDHelper part of the software?

Thanks!
Joe

jermie1
2008-08-09, 01:54
I just upgraded two days ago and thought nothing of it. All of a sudden my browser was utilizing 50% CPU and I thought I had some sort of malware infection. Turns out it is indeed the new version of the resident shield. I had to disable the plugin as has been suggested here This is the first time in 3 years that I ever had an issue with one of these guy's releases. I am sure they will come up with a solution fast! At least I hope so...

6ixed
2008-08-09, 01:59
You know, all these posts remind me of the time earlier in the month when I decided to finally take the plunge to AVG 8, because AVG 7.5 was no more being updated. Both AVG 7.5 and Spybot 1.5.2 were awesome software, and they were probably the best free security softwares out there, along with Comodo or Zone Alarm Firewall. But with many users reporting bitterly about the Linkscanner issue grinding their system to a halt, and new features in AVG 8, which few people wanted, like the toolbar and such ... it's like taking perfectly good pieces of software and deliberately sabotaging them.

Now if you don't pay attention during the install of Spybot 1.6, it installs an Explorer extension (see this thread http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30678 ) and the SDHelper thingy makes your browsing experience extremely frustrating. And those Info Balloons, which keeps popping up every 5 secs...well nevermind. You can disable them atleast. Alright so anyhoo, I just went back to Spybot 1.5.2. And I got rid of AVG 8 completely and installed NOD32.

Charlotte Goebel
2008-08-09, 02:57
DougCuk, thanks for the info about disabling the SDHelper/Resident IE module. Fixed me right up. I might also try to switch over to 1.5 from FileHippo.

jdgonko
2008-08-09, 04:39
A while ago, I remember an SB version that was released and its problem was when the user started-up the SB console window. The well-known progress bar, that shows before the SB console window, wouldn't display on the monitor for like 15 to 20 seconds. Then, it would show, do the progress bar motion, and the app would run fine after that.

The SB people fixed that 'slow startup' problem rather quickly so I'm very hopeful that the problem with the new SDHelper.dll slowing IE surfing to a crawl will soon be fixed too.

DougCuk
2008-08-09, 10:34
This thread is now on its third page with 11 different members reporting a slowdown problem caused by SDHelper in the new v1.6 program. I just wish someone from the Spybot Team would at least let us know that this problem is being investigated.

There have been at least 4 different threads about slowdowns in IE and/or Windows Explorer that have been tracked to the SDHelper resident protection module in v1.6 - but not one official response from the Spybot Team.

The main threads are:
Resident SDHelper slow in 1.6 (this thread)
Windows Explorer not Working with Spybot http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31800
Delay Opening Folders caused by IE Resident http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31559

I have two pc's showing the problem and have access to several more that do not - I have 20 years experience as a computer support tech but so far I can't work out what is triggering the slowdown problem - we need some input from the programmers here - please.

Rob N
2008-08-09, 10:50
I'm running Vista 32bit and have also noticed a very slight slowing down of window explorer and a more noticable slowing of IE7 but only on certain websites,some load at as quickly as before but some are alot slower,after disabling SD IE Protection they load as normal

blues
2008-08-09, 11:20
what does the sd-helper do that the restricted zone sites and hostsfile doesnt do? what does it really block? the same as the two others block? is the sd-helper really necessary when using the two others?

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-09, 13:41
blues:

You should already know the answer to that question based on the experience that you encountered in this thread:
Search and Destroy (warning)
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31561
The restricted zone entries do not block URLs. They restricts what those sites can do. The HOSTS file blocks certain URLs. SDHelper goes one step farther. It blocks URLs that even contain bad URLs such as the one you encountered:

Blocked HTTP://WWW.SITEADVISOR.COM/SITES/CASALEMEDIA.COM/POSTID?P=1040343: CasaleMedia (Blacklisted URL)

blues
2008-08-09, 13:59
It blocks URLs that even contain bad URLs such as the one you encountered:

i understand:) it is confusing sometimes.

so you say that the sd-helper only blocks urls, and not a file that contains a rogue that i download from for example www. download.com

then i dont understand why it is called bad download blocker, if it does block only urls that hosts bad downloads but not bad downloads hosted on sites that is not blocked by the sd-helper.

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-09, 17:24
blues:

... so you say that the sd-helper only blocks urls, ...
I never said that.

Originally the primary function of SDHelper appeared to be the blocking of tracking cookies. Since tracking cookies are in fact downloaded files, I assume that it is possible that is where it got the designation "Internet Explorer bad download blocker". I don't know what other files, if any, it blocks from being downloaded and I certainly would not count on it to block the indiscriminant manual downloading of files.

To see what SDHelper has blocked on your system, look in the SDHelper.log file.

blues
2008-08-09, 17:46
thanks for your clarifying, my sd-helper log was deleted some days ago so i dont have them, but i remember that it was only names of sites it has blocked that was in the log and nothing else.

Bunni
2008-08-11, 20:33
Running Vista Ultimate 32 bit, IE7, Avast! (AVG 8 has printer issues in IE7), just upgraded to Spybot 1.6, and also determined when I shut off SD Helper the slowdown goes away.

I'd like to see this fixed, as I never had this issue with 1.52, and I like using the SD Helper. It's so slow it's like being on dial up now, and that just isn't acceptable. I don't want to simply shut it off.

I too registered to report this issue today, and made a seperate post prior to reading this thread..sorry 'bout that.

braves2007
2008-08-11, 21:00
im having the same problem as everybody else, there is about 8 second delay on ie after updating to 1.6, can anybody tell me how i can install 1.5 again, and how to safely uninstall 1.6? thanks

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-11, 23:32
Bunni:
braves2007:

Besides the "SDHelper" BHO (Browser Helper Object) are you running any other BHOs?

Please note:

im having the same problem as everybody else, ...
Not "... everybody else ...". I have a two second delay when I open new windows or tabs in Ienternet Explorer (running IE7). But I have traced it down to the interaction with my Firewall.

That is why I am trying to determine exactly the set of circumstances that causes the problem.

Bunni
2008-08-11, 23:56
Nothing I haven't run before, using google toolbar, none of it creates an issue except for SD Helper. I disabled them all, and SD Helper all by itself creates the issue.

I'm Using the firewall that comes with Vista. I never had this issue at all with 1.52.

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-12, 00:19
Bunni:

... using google toolbar, ..
Running "google toolbar" with the "SDHelper" BHO has caused problems in the past.

... I disabled them all, and SD Helper all by itself creates the issue. ...

If you would, please uninstall the "google toolbar" again to make sure that it is "SDHelper" BHO alone that is causing the problem (even after a re-boot), just to make sure it is not the combination of running the "google toolbar" and "SDHelper" together that is actually causing the problem.

rubybear
2008-08-12, 01:31
Spybot 1.6.0.31 not only messes with IE browser speed, but it totally hung many of my applications. Every time I would go to IE Tools, Internet Options, Delete History, the Deleting History window would hang and I could watch the little green progress bar go on for hours. Also, if I tried IE Tools, Internet Options, Browsing History Settings (in order to delete the cookies from my recent browsing activity), it would take a minimum of 10 minutes to never, trying to load the Temporary Internet Files page where the cookies are listed. The only way out of these, and also many explorer files, was to open Task Manager and End Task. A few times, when Microsoft said “do you want to report the File Not Responding Error?”, even that little popup window would hang indefinitely.
I thought for sure I had a virus, or someone was remotely manipulating my computer. After coming to these forums and reading about the Resident SDhelper problem, I turned off that part of Spybot, and wow, my computer is mine again! I had no idea that Spybot could screw up my computer so badly.
I sure hope they fix this in the next update.

Bunni
2008-08-12, 01:36
Disabled all except SD Helper, restarted IE7, still same thing. Again, I've been using google toolbar probably since it came out, and have been using spybot forever as well. I've never had this from Spybot SD Helper.

I also disabled Acrobat PDF reader, and Sun Java, all of which were also running prior to this new version.

The delay is there only with SD Helper present. When I disable SD Helper, everything is rosy again.

DougCuk
2008-08-12, 02:03
md usa spybot fan - You keep implying that this problem must be caused by an interaction with another IE BHO or Addon.
I have already disabled ALL my IE addons and the delay opening folders in Windows Explorer remains.
I have also tried uninstalling all the addons that integrate with Windows Explorer and the delay remains.
The only thing that switches off the delay is disabling Spybots resident SDHelper module.

I am getting really frustrated here - I have posted several times over the last two weeks requesting that we get some comment from a Team Spybot member but without ANY response - in desperation I have PM'd PepiMK asking him to look at this thread - again without any response.

To summarise several of my previous posts:
I am seeing a 3 second delay when opening either Windows Explorer or My Computer - and this repeats on every change of folder - so flipping between folders becomes very annoying as each change has this 3 second pause. The right-hand file window remains blank during the delay. The delay only started after installing Spybot v1.6 - this delay did not exist when using Spybot v1.5.2.

Switching off the SDHelper eliminates the delay. Activating SDHelper turns the delay back on - but only for any new Windows Explorer windows - any pre-existing windows remain ok and functions without the delay.

I have two computers showing this problem both are using XP-Pro on a 3Ghz P4 with 1Gb Ram showing around 600-700k of free RAM. I run a very lean XP setup with only 22 resident processes in the Task Manager display.
The only extras being AVG Free v8 without the LinkScanner/Toolbar or Office plugin loaded.
The problem exists under both SP2 and SP3 and with both IE6 and IE7.
I use the XP Firewall and have SpywareBlaster v4.1 installed.
Disabling TeaTimer has no effect on this delay problem.
I do not run any addon IE toolbars.

Applications installed with IE addons:
NOTE: The delay remains even when all these addons are disabled.
Java JRE 1.5.0_15
Acrobat Reader v5.0.5
Adobe Flash v9
Apple Quicktime QTPlugin v7.1.3

Applications installed with Windows Explorer integration:
NOTE: The delay remaims even with all these uninstalled.
Spybot v1.6 context menu scanner
Treesize v1.72
Agent Ransack Search v1.73
Winzip v6.3

Can we please get some input from the developers - I would be very happy to test any theories or fixes for this problem.

Bunni
2008-08-12, 19:00
Anything else to try? If not then the only thing I can do is uninstall 1.6 and revert to 1.52 or use Firefox exclusively, which has no problem at all.

Using it as is, is very frustrating.

Bunni
2008-08-13, 22:52
Could this issue please be added to the tracker so some resolution can possibly be made?

julian81
2008-08-14, 00:23
Hello,

I would like to remark that I have the same problem with Spybot 1.6, more specifically Resident IE/SDHelper. I am using Windows XP Home SP3 and Internet Explorer 7. With Resident IE activated, browsing is extremely slow.

Regards, Julian

BigVDawgy
2008-08-14, 03:20
I downloaded Spybot 1.6 and it killed my Internet Explorer. It was running so slow I had to finally download Firefox just to make it through the day.

It wasn't just the web browsing (images loading, etc) that slowed to a painful crawl, the whole Internet Explorer interface would freeze, preventing me from selecting toolbar items, tabs, even the url.

After reading these threads I disabled SD Helper and Internet Explorer is back to normal.

I noticed Windows Explorer was effected as well.

Interesting observation was when doing a Ctrl-Alt-Del and going to the Task Manager and viewing Processes iexplore.exe had a Mem Usage of around 125,000K, something I've never seen from any program. Upon disabling SD Helper it's back to a more reasonable 28,384K.

I'm running Windows XP Service Pack 3, IE7 and had no issues with Spybot 1.5

DougCuk
2008-08-14, 10:14
Can we please have a Team Spybot menber review this thread with a view to adding this SDHelper bug to the Bug Tracker.

Surely we have enough reports now to show this is not some random interaction with other other software.

spybotsandra
2008-08-14, 15:01
Hello,

Those problems could probably be refered to the domains which are too much for the browser to handle when Spybot's resident feature is turned on. But we will delete the inactive domains soon and only deal with the ones that are really online. So the browser should work quicker then. We hope that we will solve this problem very soon.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

DougCuk
2008-08-14, 17:09
Thanks for the input spybotsandra.

But I have a question - would your theory about the large number of domains now in the protection list also explain the slowdown/delay seen when opening folders in My Computer? I can understand how this idea could explain a slowdown in IE Browser response but am unclear how it could affect the opening of folders in Windows Explorer.

The opening post in this thread stated:

I think it is affecting Explorer and IE. All I have to do is click on "My Computer" and it takes about two seconds to open the folder for viewing. If I just disable SDHelper, the folder opens instantly.

The majority of posts in this thead relate to delay in opening folders in My Computer/Windows Explorer - with another set of people also reporting a dramatic slowdown in IE7 response times. Only a few people seem to report suffering both problems - I only have the Windows Explorer delay myself - IE7 is fine.

George69
2008-08-15, 00:37
Upgraded automatically a few days ago the the new 1.6 engine and immediately opening folders in windows explorer slowed down to a 3 second delay. My browser also seemed much much slower. Since the only thing I had done was upgrade Spybot I just uninstalled it and my system seems normal again.

If I re-installing 1.5 and hoping for the best.

gamebroo
2008-08-15, 00:40
Those problems could probably be refered to the domains which are too much for the browser to handle when Spybot's resident feature is turned on.

Are there that many more domains protected through Spybot 1.6 compared to an updated version of Spybot 1.5.2 ? Because there is ABSOLUTELY NO slowdown in 1.5.2.

Also, as DougCuk brings up in his important question, I also experienced severe slowdowns just navigating folders in 1.6. -not so when I downgraded back to 1.5.2.

George69: you'll probably find going back to version 1.5.2 will be fine.

DougCuk
2008-08-15, 10:53
Greyfox made some interesting observations in this parallel thread
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30975&page=3

I just tested his suggestion about disabling SDHelper totally or just in the IE Manage Addons - and observed an interesting result. My problem is purely a 3 second delay opening folders in Windows Explorer - however both methods of disabling SDHelper remove this 3 second delay. I have tested this with two configs - XP-Pro_SP3 + IE7 and XP-Pro_SP2 + IE6 both react the same.

I know several other members have reported curing the IE slowdown via either route - but I was suprised the Manage Addons route cured my Windows Explorer delay - although I suppose they are functionally the same. But how a BHO that is only supposed to load when you start IE can affect the operation of Windows Explorer/My Computer - when IE is not running - is puzzling and the reason I feel we need some more technical input from the developers.

Terminator
2008-08-15, 11:38
I thought I had cured my slowdown/crash problems by resetting IE but it didn't work:sad: so now back to disabling The SD helper untill it is fixed.

DougCuk
2008-08-15, 18:08
Greyfox - has again made an interesting suggestion in this parallel thread
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30975&page=3

He suggested running a test by renaming the Domains.sbs file which contains the bulk of the protection list used by SDHelper. The idea being if it only has a few items to protect it might speed up dramatically. And prove or disprove Spybot Sandras suggestion that the size of the list is the cause of problems with SDHelper. It nomally shows 18,879 entries but this reduces to 627 if it can't find the Domains.sbs file.

I tried renaming Domains.sbs and rebooted to ensure the change was active - but it had no effect on the 3 second delay seen in Windows Explorer. I then extended the idea to ALL immunisations - and it had no effect at all - the 3 second delay remained. But disable SDHelper and the delay is instantly gone.

Watching in Task Manager the CPU usage of Explorer jumps to 50% and stays there during the 3 second delay - but only shows a momentary spike when SDHelper is disabled. Without SDHelper the CPU usage in Task Manger (Performance graph tab) appears to reduce when you revisit the same folder again (caching?). You see the spikes on the graph get smaller - but with SDHelper running the CPU usage always rises to exactly 50% stays there for 3 seconds and then falls back to zero.

It would appear SDHelper is causing Explorer to get stuck - doing what I have no idea - any suggestions as to how to track this down? I have various utilities including Sysinternals Process Explorer but am not sure what to look for. Just had a first look and Sysinternals Process Explorer v11.04 does actually allow you to see that it is the BROWSEUI.DLL thread that accounts for all the CPU usage of Explorer during the 3 second delay. That might be an important clue to the right person?

jldet5
2008-08-15, 23:42
Add me to the list of SDhelper slows IE7 to a crawl.

Reverting back to 1.5.2

Bunni
2008-08-16, 00:16
I too have reverted back. IE7 is just fine now with SD Helper loaded.

DougCuk
2008-08-16, 18:35
Well it doesn't look like this one is going to get solved anytime soon. :sad:

I prefer the faster scan times of Spybot v1.6 and the new Teatimer functions.
So I am just going to leave SDHelper switched off for now.

DougCuk
2008-08-18, 01:02
This problem was really bugging me so I got serious.

I downloaded the Microsoft Sysinternals Process Monitor utility and tracked down what Windows Explorer was doing during the 3 second delay when opening a folder. This utility allows you to see in real time what your computer is doing - Registry operations - File-system operations - Processes and Thread operations. Not that I understand most of what it show - but what I found was unmistakable.

To cut a long story short - with SDHelper running Windows Explorer/My Computer spent several seconds checking the Cookies folder and did so for every change of folder. Clearing the Cookies folder removed the delay.

I am not in the habit of clearing my Cookies folder - I remove the ones flagged as Spyware but leave the rest - and it was never a problem under Spybot v1.4 or v1.5 - but Spybot v1.6 obviously reacts badly to excessive numbers of cookies. Not sure how many cookies it takes to cause a noticeable delay but I had around 2,300 cookies on one pc and 3,100 on the other and was seeing approximately a 3 second delay on both computers.

Process Monitor showed that each time you Open a folder in Windows Explorer (with SDHelper running) you see thousands of requests called "Query_Standard_Information_File" which was accessing the file "C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Cookies\index.dat". The log revealed that my system made just over 6,500 identical requests to access the Index.dat file during the 3 second delay - which stopped anything else from happening. Disable SDHelper and these requests do not happen - and the folder contents displays instantly.

Something has changed in the way SDHelper interacts with Windows Explorer in the current version of Spybot.
Spybot v1.5.2 did not suffer this problem - this is new to Spybot v1.6

I first suspected it was the size of the Index.dat file (700KB) that was causing the problem - as this Index file never gets trimmed back when you delete cookies. But it is actually the number of cookies that causes the delay in Windows Explorer - just using the Delete Cookies option works even though the Index.dat file remains the same size.

So clear your Cookies folder and hopefully you too can use Spybot v1.6 with SDHelper enabled.

Sysinternals Process Monitor Links:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/default.aspx
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx
Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry and process/thread activity.

Greyfox
2008-08-18, 02:09
Good find Doug,

Your findings also probably answer why I have never experienced this problem. All my computers are set to clear out the temporary internet files folder at the end of each session (IE7->Tools->Advanced->Security section->Empty temporary Internet files folder when browser is closed). In addition they also use 3rd party cookie control software to restrict cookies to a very small "allowed" list. (after exit from the browser index.dat is around 32K)

I also keep Spybot's normal file set so it "scans for usage track checks only" and after any on line session involving internet banking or other secure transactions run a quick scan and delete all tracking entries found (except for those items I have specifically excluded). I generally only do one full (all available checks) scan per week after updating.

Hopefully your find will solve the problem for many users.

DougCuk
2008-08-18, 02:46
Thanks Greyfox - it took some persistance to find.

I too keep my Internet Cache files under strict control but have never encountered an issue with the Cookies folder before - this is a new problem with Spybot v1.6 that didn't occur under v1.5

The other conclusion from this solution is that we did indeed have two seperate SDHelper issues.
The slowdown of the IE7 browser caused by SDHelper - that others have reported - must be due to a different as yet unknown quirk of Spybot v1.6 - as I have never observed this problem on my system. Does make me wonder if SDHelper is bogging down on some other folder somewhere that some users do not clear.

The large Domains List theory suggested by Spybot Sandra appears to be looking unlikely as a cause but we could do with some more testers - see here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30975&page=4

6ixed
2008-08-18, 03:28
I also have to say, excellent research and analysis into the source of the sdhelper hiccups, Doug.

DougCuk
2008-08-18, 03:45
Now we just need someone suffering the IE7 slowdown to do the same analysis and we will have SDHelper back under control again!

julian81
2008-08-18, 12:13
Hello Doug,

clearing the cookies folder solved my IE slowdown problem. But in my opinion this workaround should only be a temporary solution.

Regards, Julian

DougCuk
2008-08-18, 12:45
Thanks for that Julian81 - interesting result.
Now we need a few more to try this fix for the IE7 slowdown problerm.

meftmeft
2008-09-03, 02:16
No news ?
No correction of SDHelper planned ?

DougCuk
2008-09-03, 09:59
I have tried my best to get this issue reviewed by Team Spybot - but with very limited result.
Spybot Sandra is the only Team Member to have responded at all - with post #44 in this thread - where she suggests the problem is due to the large Domains List currently used by SDHelper. A reduction in the size of the list is being worked on.

Greyfox suggested a test (renaming Domains.sbs (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=223639&postcount=27)) to prove or disprove this Domains List theory, for anyone suffering a slowdown problem. As far as I can see this is a valid test and proved for myself and one other that the size of the Domains list was not a factor in our cases. Far more people have now confirmed that clearing the Cookies folder does work. A number of others have found that uninstalling the Google Toolbar works if your issue is an IE7 slowdown.

I did finally get a response via email - but it just re-iterated the Domains List theory and ignored all my evidence showing the Cookies folder was the cause. I did point out that we had tested and disproved this theory over two weeks ago - see post #50 in this thread - but so far no response.

Several Senior Members on the forum have commended me for my persistence but I must admit I am getting to the end of my patience on this one. A Sticky warning people to clear the Cookies folder might be nice - a fix in the SDHelper code would be even better.

PepiMK
2008-09-03, 12:18
I haven't read about it before, but added a feature request here (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php) now.

For bugs like this, I would usually recommend posting a suggestion for the project tools section in the beta forum. Written in the same style as the existing bug reports / feature requests, listing all three parts: situation, experienced and expected. I read that subforum more often than the main one ;)

DougCuk
2008-09-04, 04:38
Seeing as this is a problem with the current version of the program it never occurred to me that posting in the Beta Forum was appropriate. I thought the Beta forum was for problems with Beta and RC versions only.

However thank you for picking up this issue and creating a Bug listing.

meftmeft
2008-09-04, 09:10
Thanks for your responses.
I confirm on my side that clearing the Cookie folder suppress the problem(temporary I guess...). I use IE6 without google toolbar.
I will follow the Beta forum.

DougCuk
2008-09-18, 18:53
A new version of SDHelper (Resident IE) is available in Beta testing.
It is designed to fix slowdown problems caused by a large cache of Cookies (500+).

Anyone wanting to test and give feedback on the new Beta version please check this Bug Tracker thread:
http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=282

Geraud
2008-10-07, 16:50
I've downloaded the latest updates and now I finally don't have the problem anymore.

DougCuk
2008-10-08, 02:29
Just a note to confirm that the new version of SDHelper (aka Resident IE / Spybot SD BHO) is now on full release and will install if you run the standard update of Spybot v1.6

This version fixes the slowdown problem in Windows Explorer and IE caused by excessive numbers of cookies.

meftmeft
2008-10-08, 08:58
Thanks !

pincho07
2010-09-04, 01:23
im also having this problam and its driving me mad! i was wondering why everything was going so slow and i couldent understand why! my internet is driving me nuts....not responding all the time...then it takes forever to load...then im not getting piks displayed right....come on this is a joke.!! what has happend!!?? please fix it!!!

spybotsandra
2010-09-06, 12:55
Hello,

At first I would recommend to open a new thread than to post in a two year old thread. This thread is about Spybot 1.6. But there is already Spybot 1.6.2 out. So which version do you use?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

war59312
2011-03-28, 20:50
IE 9 now warns you about, because it adds 0.21 seconds to every tab. This is with Spybot 1.6.2 of course.

Should be fixed ASAP!!