PDA

View Full Version : ikitek key logger

lepet
2005-11-10, 21:39
A certain spyware killer program identified the "ikitek key logger", however, Spybot S&D does not detect it. Anyone else had any luck with removing ikitek key logger? thx - lepet

LonnyRJones
2005-11-11, 18:19
Welcome to the forum lepet

What program is "A certain spyware killer program"

Mind posting a SSD report ?
Open SpyBot 1.4, check for and get any updates available, close all browsers, check for problems and fix everything found. Then on the toolbar menu select mode and switch to advanced mode, on the left lower down select tools,and view report, ensure all the options are select near the bottom except
Uncheck[ ] do not report disabled or known legitimate Items,
uncheck[ ] Include a list of services in report.
Uncheck[ ] Include uninstall list in report.
Now select (near the top) view report, Press export, in the save in box choose a place such as your my documents folder, then in your next post near the bottom select the "browse" button , navigate to and attach or post that report please.

md usa spybot fan
2005-11-11, 20:59
Note: ikitek.com Auto Keylogger is a commercial keylogger.
http://keylogger.ikitek.com/

lepet
2005-11-19, 03:21
Dear forum,

the last repl;y to the original posting on the ikitek key logger states that "ikitek keylogger is a commercial keylogger."

My original question was essentially: is the ikitek key logger detected and removed by SSD?

thx

tashi
2005-11-19, 04:08
Dear forum,

My original question was essentially: is the ikitek key logger detected and removed by SSD?

thx
Hello.
You asked:

A certain spyware killer program identified the "ikitek key logger", however, Spybot S&D does not detect it. Anyone else had any luck with removing ikitek key logger? thx - lepet

LonnyRJones asked:

What program is "A certain spyware killer program"
He also asked to see a log. :)

Spybot does not detect ikitek key logger; as md usa spybot fan noted it is a commercial keylogger.

You can see Spybot's detections via Mode>Advanced>Settings>Ignore Products.

lepet
2005-11-19, 17:08
Thanks SSD forum, here are the responses:

1. I apologize for not naming the other spyware algorithm. The "certain" spyware program was Spyware Doctor, and it seems to state that ikitek key logger is on one of my machines at work. As a programmer, I did not want to name another software product because I did not want to compare SSD with any other program. However, we do have to "benchmark" our codes against other algorithms, and our algorithms are not accepted by peers unless results are the same or better than commercial algorithms that have been in development for, say, 30 years by large groups of scientists.

2. At any rate, I am trying to understand why "commercial" key loggers fall in a special category. Doesn't a commercial key logger spy on the user?

3. If a commerical key logger is truly found one of my systems at work, does it mean that it had to be manually installed by someone else, or could it be done silently by e.g. phishing, or installed as an add on to another program, etc.?

4. What shareware-freeware do you recommend I use if I have to detect commerical spyware? (a sys admin told me once that 90% of hacking at work is done by the employer).

Thanks, lepet

tashi
2005-11-19, 18:44
Hello lepet.

A commerical key logger is not usually stealth installed, probably someone with access to the computer installed it.

Therein lies the dilemma.

If your employer feels the need to watch his/her property then it is something to address with the employer.

As Spyware Doctor detected the program you could ask them about their includes.
Perhaps they have information on this particular keylogger showing it is not always self installed by the owner of the computer?

Best regards. :)

bitman
2005-11-19, 19:56
Found this explanation:

Spyware Doctor 3.2’s Keylogger Guard detects active threats based on behaviour rather than signatures.
This is an excerpt from an article about the technology at CastleCops:
http://castlecops.com/article-5889-nested-0-0.html

This would result in Spyware Doctor theoretically finding all keyloggers, regardless of whether they're new or unknown by signatures.

Whether this is good or bad depends on your point of view.

tashi
2005-11-19, 20:14
This would result in Spyware Doctor theoretically finding all keyloggers, regardless of whether they're new or unknown by signatures.
Thank you bitman.

Whether this is good or bad depends on your point of view.
Especially if one is an employer and owns the system. Tricky stuff. :D

lepet
2005-11-20, 00:19
Thanks for the helpful comments.

Mythis
2010-03-18, 10:54
Sorry to dig up this ancient thread, but one of my network PCs has somehow become infected by the Ititek keylogger. It has not been installed intentionally by the PCs owner.

I've been happily using Spybot S&D nor Malwarebytes for months with no detection of the Ititek keylogger occuring. It was through personal recommendation that I tried PCTools Spyware Doctor, which subsequently found the Ititek keylogger.

My point is this: While I understand the grey area in which commercial keyloggers ply their trade, by omitting to detect them both Spybot S&D and Malwarebytes are leaving a gap for unauthorised keylogging (i.e. installed without the knowledge of either the PC's owner or user) and providing a false sense of security.

Surely it makes sense to provide the option for a PC's owner to detect and remove commercial keyloggers, perhaps by placing the option to detect them in one of the advanced settings, with appropriate warnings about removing commercial keyloggers from unowned PCs.

Any thoughts ?

Mythis
2010-03-18, 11:13
Sorry, I mean Ikitek key logger.

spybotsandra
2010-03-22, 17:12
Hello,

It is not possible for any anti-spyware-tool to detect every threat because the spyware sector is growing and developing too fast.
So it might happen that one anti-spyware-tool detects something that the other misses.
Therefore it is recommendable to run more than one security software.

But if you are infected the next time we can locate the threat also in your bug report, although nothing is present after a scan. That would help to improve our database. :)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot