PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on Support please

caterwaul
2008-07-15, 18:34
The current status of what Spybot will be supporting is confusing based on the announcement posted.

PepiMK wrote:

With regret, we have to announce that update support for dated versions of Spybot-S&D is going to end....

Users with very old hardware, and users of Windows 95 who could not use Spybot-S&D 1.4, chose to stay with very old versions of the software, and we tried to accomodate them by still offering them the updates....

Makes me think that Versions 1.4.x and newer will be supported... is this correct?

PepiMK wrote:

... We therefore decided to restrict updates to the current software version, and during version switches, as will appear next week, the last version for a short while.

Now I'm not sure what to think? This would make me think this would not include 1.4.x and possibly not even 1.5.x.

What is considered the "current version"? - 1.5 or 1.6?

Second of all are "versions" in this context meaning to say all releases of a specific for example version 1.6.x or the just the current release of the version of 1.6.? (whatever that might be at the time) assuming the current version is considered 1.6.x in the first place?

Thanks

wyrmrider
2008-07-16, 02:24
Makes me think that Versions...
you're thinking way too much :)

I read the post that older version support is under review and an announcement will be made about older version support details
Obviously Safernetwork has to be concerned about the 1.3 problems

1.6 is the current version
If there is a specific micro number that needs to be addressed for a specific
problem it will be

Bottom line is that if you are not running 1.6 or are running older os you are on your own
In fact you are on your own in any case
which os are supported
MS just announced withdrawal of WFW 3.11 !

Yodama
2008-07-16, 08:40
hello,

this is actually not the correct forums for this topic, so this will be moved shortly :police:

wyrmrider is partly right, the current version also includes Spybot S&D 1.5.2 :)

1.5.2 will be considered a current version until Spybot S&D 1.6.x is available through the internal updater. When that happens 1.5.2 will be supported for a couple more weeks, then the only update available for the 1.5.2 will be the upgrade to 1.6.x.

Spybot S&D 1.4 is considered an outdated version but may still get some updates through the internal updater. But this is supposed to cease soon.

Detection updates for outdated versions can be downloaded installed with the manual updater (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html).

However you should always keep in mind that the reason for this is the downward compatibility issue. Over the years we tried to keep the detection rules compatible to old versions of Spybot S&D. But this becomes more difficult (and in some cases impossible) if we go up against modern threats.