PDA

View Full Version : I feel very stupid but I can't find the answer

sly stone
2008-07-15, 22:27
I've had spybot for years, however until the end of last year I used it in the default mode. I now use it in the advanced mode and everything is fine,but.....The only way that I can keep spybot because of it's not very good at finding adware, spyware, etc, is to use some of it's unique featues. So today i immunized and ran sd helper. I never used them only because I like to use two differerent browsers and one would not be covered. Ok bottom line spybot takes up no memory when closed. I thought it must be because there is not icon on the task bar. When looking there is no setting to start it on the task bar. Or is it me? I have it desk top icon,advanced mode, quick launch, advanced mode, and start menu item, advanced mode. When I need to check if immunizing is on I have to hit immunize and it seems like its only starting then and must not have been running. To activate it I hit immunize and then hit the immunize cross. Why is it not working, it can't be if it's not drawing memory when closed. So how stupid am I? :oops: I went on the web and to the site, there is nothing on what I'm asking, they make sound like you turn it on and that's that. :snorkle: I'm sure it's something so minor Ill cry when i see it. :oops:

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-15, 23:08
sly stone:

Spybot does not have to be running for immunization to work. Immunization for Internet Explorer adds entries to the system's Registry that help protect you. Starting with Spybot 1.5, immunization for other browsers such as Firefox, Opera, SeaMonkey are added to files within those browsers to help protect you. In addition if you immunize the Global (HOSTS) profile, entries are added to the system's HOSTS file which will add protection no matter what browser you use.

In other words immunization is a passive type of protection that works from within the browsers and the system. In most cases you would not recognize the resources it is using, but it is still effective in protecting you without something noticeable running.

After updates you should go into Spybot » Immunize » and if any items are unprotected, click the "Immunize" button at the top of the right hand pane to add any new protection from the update.