PDA

View Full Version : spybot crashes system after removing errors

cherithsravens
2008-07-17, 02:30
I have spent the last month gradually reformatting and reinstalling windows media on a toshiba laptop to give my sister - have been learning for the last year to use a mac as all I did in the years before with different windows was format, program, crash. Spybot was always my favorite thing to use for many obvious reasons.
This time my system crashes every time I am removing the errors after running the program - I have always removed everything spybot lists and as this is an almost new install it should be fine. I shut off the avg during scans.
I have isolated it to the logs, especially the first category of logs on the error page. If I remove everything but the logs, then reboot, rerun everything again and then remove the first category of logs last, sometimes computer will not crash. I am not sure but think I installed spybot first to make sure it worked as like it best but then got carried away installing the avg, avira and adaware - had always used for different reasons at different times. Because spybot crashed system the first time I used it, I thought there might be something corrupt in the windows media but tried uninstalling avira.
Today when running an adaware scan after deactivating teatimer and avg the scan quit twice with fatal errors. But I have always had trouble with the adaware program.
I am in a time crunch now and will have to return to your site again to research further but couldn't find anything today on my problem. I am grateful for and appreciate your product and hope you will be developing something for mac users as it is uncomfortable not knowing what is in the mac I am using now especially after reading your itunes information. I did install itunes, adobe media and realplayer but that's about all other than ISP. Sorry about the length. Thanks for any help, cherithsravens

wyrmrider
2008-07-17, 02:51
Hi
first of all having both AVG and AVRIA is a big problem
did you save the installers?
did you ever have Panda, Norton, Mcafee AV or suite installed or pre-installed on this laptop

I take it this is a fresh download of AVG- if so got to the AVG uninstall FAQ and remove according to instructions
Remove Avria through add remove programs then navigate to the AVria siite and run the Avira removal tool
they have 3!
one is for spyware removal

you want this one
http://dl.antivir.de/down/windows/registrycleaner.zip
you can see examples on the web here is one
http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallantivir.shtml

now you can install ONE AV
I recommend AVAST

now uninstall ad-aware for now
turn of t-timer _ I think you said it was off, sd helper unimmunize,
remove ALL old spybot in Add remove programs
see
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

run the "very small fix"

install spybot 1.6, update, immunize
reboot into safe mode and run a scan

write back
results of spybot scan
what AV you chose- AVG can possibly interfere with spybot and Antivir has issues also- I recommend AVAST
firewall OS etc
browser
after you're clean run windows update but do not update- just post where you're at

install and update Spywareblaster

then- you most likely do not need both realplayer and windows media player

2008-07-17, 06:10
what AV you chose- AVG can possibly interfere with spybot and Antivir has issues also- I recommend AVAST....

They (alone) do not have compatibility problems with spybot. I have seen many users that have antivir or avg and have no compatibility issues with spybot. However, having both installed is a problem. remember, only 1 antiviruis.

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-17, 06:53
wyrmrider:

I use Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus and I have never run into any "... issues ..." using it.