PDA

View Full Version : MS Firewall disabled

Xendar
2006-03-20, 22:52
Hi Guys,

I've been getting the windows security centre.antivirusdisablenotify messages in Spybot. I've seen the posting about the message so I'm not too worried by it.

What does worry me though is that since I got my system infected with Spyware (which I think I've managed to remove) MS firewall is permanently disabled! If I try enabling it Security CEntre tells me it can't turn it on and I should try doing it in the Windows Firewall in Control Panel. The problem is trying to open it gives me a message saying that due to an unidentified problem the firewall can't open. How can I get around this?

Cheers

Mark

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-20, 23:36
I believe that you may have two issues.

The Spybot detection Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify has nothing to do with your firewall protection. That detection is indicating that you or something else has disable alerts for problems with your anti-virus protection.

If that is the detection that you are getting, go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > Resources (on the left hand side of the window – expand if necessary) > click "Change the way Security Center alerts me". This brings up an "Alert Setting" window.

There are three possible alerts:
Firewall
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my firewall settings
Automatic Updates
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my Automatic Updates settings
Virus Protection
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my virus protection software settings

I believe that you will find that following alert is unchecked:
Virus Protection
Alert me if my computer might be at risk because of my virus protection software settings

With that alert turned off you will not receive alerts from Windows Security Center about your virus protection status and will not get alerts if it is turned off or is out of date.

As far as the problem you are having with Micorsoft's Firewall:
Have you tried to use the Microsoft.com search facility to research the specific error message that you ar getting?
http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US