PDA

View Full Version : Screen resolution

DavidBus
2008-07-20, 00:07
hello;

i had been running the ancient spybot 1.3 for a long time on various pcs, including this one (HP Pavilion dv6000 w/Vista) and decided yesterday to upgrade. I had not ever had any difficulties during any installations or executions. Whilst installing, a warning window appeared which said that a particular file could not be created in the "program data" folder. the installation seemed to have aborted; yet, it did finish with the suggestion to re-start the laptop. After re-starting the laptop, a previously unknown window appeared which asked about multiple displays; and, after my response, the screen resolution changed from high to low. I tried to change the resolution but without success. As a last resort, I rebuilt the hard drive (with re-formatting); however, the cursed "multiple display" window appeared again and, after responding to it, the resolution shifted from high to low. I have not installed spybot. The screen seems to be stuck in this mode. how can i return the laptop to its previous condition? How can such a default survive a re-build? does spybot install itself within a protected region on the disk or a non-primary partition.

also, I have noticed that a rather lengthy blank screen now appears before and after a request for permission occurs.

davidbus

wyrmrider
2008-07-20, 05:50
I can't help you with the screen resolution however I can warn you that fixing hellslittlespy while running 1.3 can ruin your day
It's a known false positive and there are plenty of threads about hellslittlespy
so use 1.3 and 1.4 at your own risk
If your hardware will not support newer versions then just BVVC
otherwise install 1.6

neowin website
http://www.neowin.net/
register and go to forums
you can find help on hardware and software issues
there are other good sites

you might also post at a laptop vendor specific forum

Greyfox
2008-07-21, 15:46
DavidBus,

As far as I am aware, the HP DV6000 was often supplied with a Nvidia GeForce Go 7200 graphics adaptor. Your problem may have been as simple as a glitch with the software drivers for this card.

You could perhaps check what video adaptor the system now sees (I'm not sure where this is in Vista, in XP it would show in control panel/display settings.

You say your reformatted your hard drive - did you do this and reinstall all of the software manually, or did you use a product recovery disk. If a recovery disk was used, it may not automatically install the drivers for the add on Nvidia card.

Hope this helps.

DavidBus
2008-07-25, 04:22
thank you wyrmrider for the tips: i will attempt an install tomorrow. fortunately, i figured the solution for the shifting screen resolution later on the day of the post with a bit of indirect help from microsoft support. it seems that the transient multi-monitor manager service (tmm) can be fickle and it needed to be turned off. i have written the procedure at the end of this e-mail to aid any others who might suffer the same problem. the key was the "cursed" multiple display message.

thank you greyfox for your input. you are correct: i rebuilt the hard drive using a restore disk and the graphics/tmm code is probably not re-installed. i will investigate re-formatting the entire hard drive some other time. the nvidia graphics adapter is geforce go 6200 and, since turning off the tmm, seems to work well.

to turn off the tmm:

1. Click Start Start button , type Task Scheduler in the Start Search box, and then click Task Scheduler in the Programs list.
2. Expand Task Scheduler Library, expand Microsoft, expand Windows, and then click MobilePC.
3. Right-click TMM, and then click Disable.

Notes
• If the TMM task is not displayed, right-click MobilePC, point to View, and then click Show Hidden Tasks.
• This fix does not disable any of the docking features on the portable computer. The docking features of the portable computer are disabled only when you use an external monitor or a projector, and the portable computer is not docked. If you find that an external monitor does not work correctly, you can re-enable the TMM task or you can press F5 function key to enable the external monitor.

davidbus

wyrmrider
2008-07-25, 05:33
since you are upgrading from 1.3-1.4 do a complete uninstall
turn off immunization, sd helper t-timer
remove from add remove programs
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

DavidBus
2008-07-30, 23:02
i was able to install spybot 1.60 successfully and all other functions seem to be normal ... with tmm service off.

thank you for the help

davidbus

wyrmrider
2008-07-30, 23:15
great news- and thanks for the tip