Processor AMD Athlon (tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.3Ghz
Memory 1,00 GB
System type 32-bit Operating System

Spybot - Seach & Destroy 1.6.0.0

Additional anti-malware
AVG Version: 8.0.138
Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1600.0

Problem description:
The installer fails to start the security center integration (SDWinSec.exe), showing an warning message. When the installation is complete and SDWinSec is started manually the Windows security center reports that the status of Spybot - Search and Destroy is out of date (even when fully updated). Also it isn't possible to start the updater from the security center.

wazigster
2008-07-20, 20:22
System
OS Windows Vista Home Premium [Version 6.0.6001]
Service Pack 1
Processor AMD Athlon (tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.3Ghz
Memory 1,00 GB
System type 32-bit Operating System

Spybot - Seach & Destroy 1.6.0.0

Additional anti-malware
AVG Version: 8.0.138
Windows Defender Version: 1.1.1600.0

Problem description:
The installer fails to start the security center integration (SDWinSec.exe), showing an warning message (see "Setup error.png"). When the installation is complete and SDWinSec is started manually the Windows security center reports that the status of Spybot - Search and Destroy is out of date (even when fully updated, see "Security Center 2.jpg"). Also it isn't possible to start the updater from the security center. When uninstalling the application it also shows an error that it isn't possible to remove the "SBSD Security Center Service" (see "Error uninstall.jpg")

Zenobia
2008-07-20, 21:42
I had that problem also when installing Spybot 1.6 on Vista.As I recall,I uninstalled Spybot 1.6,then went back and ran spybotsd160.exe(the installer file)as Administrator,and didn't run into that problem the second time.

wazigster
2008-07-20, 22:11
Thanks, that fixed the problem.

I did a fast google, apparently Windows Vista handles the administrator account a little different from the previous Windows versions. As in that the first (default) account created isn't really an administrator account. It can however be "unlocked" by running "net user administrator /active:yes" from the DOS-console. Then when you log off it'll be available as choice, and you'll be able to login without password. So it's NOT recommended.

Strange thing is that I didn't run the install of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.x as described in the previous post, and I didn't experience the security center integration problem on the system that did with version 1.6 (on the other hand that was a lot of Windows Vista updates ago)

Zenobia
2008-07-20, 22:44
Strange thing is that I didn't run the install of Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.x as described in the previous post, and I didn't experience the security center integration problem on the system that did with version 1.6 (on the other hand that was a lot of Windows Vista updates ago)

I still have the spybotsd152.exe setup file,and that has the security shield on it,so perhaps that is why.You'd get the UAC prompt when doubleclicking it.

The spybotsd160.exe setup file doesn't have the shield on it,so that's why it didn't give me the UAC prompt to run as Admin.

I did a fast google, apparently Windows Vista handles the administrator account a little different from the previous Windows versions. As in that the first (default) account created isn't really an administrator account. It can however be "unlocked" by running "net user administrator /active:yes" from the DOS-console. Then when you log off it'll be available as choice, and you'll be able to login without password. So it's NOT recommended.

Sorry,hope you didn't show the hidden super administrator account just to run the setup file as admin.
To run the spybotsd160.exe setup file as Admin,you can just rightclick it and select Run As Administrator from the account you were logged into originally.You probably already know that,but thought I'd tell you just in case.

If you would rather disable the hidden administrator account now,click Start,type cmd,rightclick cmd and select Run As Administrator,then type Net user administrator /active:no and press enter.

wazigster
2008-07-21, 01:08
I still have the spybotsd152.exe setup file,and that has the security shield on it,so perhaps that is why.You'd get the UAC prompt when doubleclicking it.

The spybotsd160.exe setup file doesn't have the shield on it,so that's why it didn't give me the UAC prompt to run as Admin.

Mmm, now that you mentioned it... I took a look and indeed spybotsd152.exe has a shield and spybotsd160.exe doesn't. But if you look into the manifest of both files only spybotsd152.exe carries "<requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false"/>". I.e. a its a bug. spybotsd160.exe manifest shows "<requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"/>", probably someone forgot a checkbox while building the installer.

Sorry,hope you didn't show the hidden super administrator account just to run the setup file as admin.
To run the spybotsd160.exe setup file as Admin,you can just rightclick it and select Run As Administrator from the account you were logged into originally.You probably already know that,but thought I'd tell you just in case.

Yup, I already knew about the context menu item "Run as administrator", thanks anyway. I was merely stating the small investigation I did into the mechanism underlying the "Run as administrator" feature , concerning the difference between Windows Vista and previous NT versions.

Zenobia
2008-07-21, 16:42
On a second look,when doubleclicking the spybotsd160.exe install file just to check,I was prompted by User Account Control.doh!

I'm pretty certain I wasn't prompted by UAC when installing Spybot 1.6 the first time,though.I remember running spybotsd160.exe as Admin the second time.

You would think "<requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"/>" would cause spybotsd160.exe to be launched as a standard user,not as Admin.However,my understanding of such things are limited.So,I'll see if anyone will add their input here. :)