PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to manually download updates?

antdude
2008-07-20, 20:49
Hi.

Since I will be on crappy dial-up modem during a temporary house eviction, I do not want to download Spybot updates via it (3 KB/sec). Does SpyBot have a place to download updates manually. I'd love to download them at work (have v1.6 on a PC), copy to an USB Flash stick/drive and copy to my home PC for now. I can do this with AdAware's zipped def.ref and NAV definitions.

Thank you in advance. :)

drragostea
2008-07-20, 20:52
Hi, antdud.

You can download the latest updates manually at:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html
--

antdude
2008-07-20, 21:11
Hi, antdud.

You can download the latest updates manually at:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html
--Thanks. How about the remaining updates I still see via updater like English updates, fixes, etc.?

drragostea
2008-07-20, 21:29
Those I would suggest you download. The F/P fixes resolve false positives and the English description update is just simply what it says, to update the descriptions of the spyware.

My suggestion is to take the extra step and download it to avoid any chances of possible false positives. For the description update, it is optional, as you can download it or not.

antdude
2008-07-20, 21:31
Those I would suggest you download. The F/P fixes resolve false positives and the English description update is just simply what it says, to update the descriptions of the spyware.

My suggestion is to take the extra step and download it to avoid any chances of possible false positives. For the description update, it is optional, as you can download it or not.It would be nice if I could download all of them at once or as another file for optional ones. I already have all the updates on my PC. However, there will be more on Wed. ;)

drragostea
2008-07-20, 21:37
You mean download the 'optional' updates manually?

I think there use to be the updates prior to the release of Spybot-SD 1.6.0.30, however as far as I'm aware, it's not on the main site yet. Perhaps, you can give Spybot-SD 5-10 minutes to download the optional updates? It's not released often (optional updates) :santa:.

antdude
2008-07-20, 21:50
You mean download the 'optional' updates manually?

I think there use to be the updates prior to the release of Spybot-SD 1.6.0.30, however as far as I'm aware, it's not on the main site yet. Perhaps, you can give Spybot-SD 5-10 minutes to download the optional updates? It's not released often (optional updates) :santa:.Yeah. Oh well, I just hope optional updates get released the next two weeks or so then! ;) 3 KB/sec just suck!

drragostea
2008-07-20, 23:44
Really, antdude? Even at peak speeds?

Can you upgrade the plan though? Is it at least 56kbps? Which would be around 6.0kB per second.

antdude
2008-07-21, 00:40
Really, antdude? Even at peak speeds?

Can you upgrade the plan though? Is it at least 56kbps? Which would be around 6.0kB per second.Yes, 56k modems and other notebooks and PCs. The problem GTE/Verizon's phone systems here sucks. This problem has been like this since I first got a 33.6k modem about a decade ago. :( At my earlier home, I can't even get DSL (20K ft. from CO). It's awful. At least cable modem service exists (used to suck a lot too until a few years ago with a infrastructure upgrade), but I am going to be evicted for a week or two starting tomorrow.

I am trying this neighbor's unencrypted wifi, but it is unstable and slow:
--- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
115 packets transmitted, 73 packets received, 36% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 4.601/21.345/195.29 ms

Too many packet losses! And I am in a garage behind the door. Man, it's hot in here.

I am going to bring my desktop with a strong USB wifi adapter and see how this goes.

drragostea
2008-07-21, 02:08
20,000 ft from CO... Can you explain to me what this 'CO' is? I don't quite understand.

33.3kbps seems prehistoric :laugh:. I've seen others who are stuck with 24.4kbps :sad:.

It looks like you are only receiving about 64% of the Wi-Fi strength.

Evicted? Is there another place you are going to stay?

antdude
2008-07-21, 02:31
20,000 ft from CO... Can you explain to me what this 'CO' is? I don't quite understand.

33.3kbps seems prehistoric :laugh:. I've seen others who are stuck with 24.4kbps :sad:.

It looks like you are only receiving about 64% of the Wi-Fi strength.

Evicted? Is there another place you are going to stay?CO = Central Office. Yep, I used to get 24000 speeds too. Highest is 31200, but very rare but still 3 KB/sec. However, numbers change all the time so whatever connect number you see is just the initial connection. It changes depending on line quality.

As for wifi, I found a better spot: In the old lady friend's hot garage behind the garage door, but I still get over 10% packet losses. Still better than dialup for speeds, but not stability. I am at home to pack the rest of my stuff. :>

drragostea
2008-07-21, 04:10
For 24,000 do you mean 24kbps?

Wow :P, it's just patience you need :laugh:. I was once a dial-up user and it was a pain to download large files, as the dial service would disconnect every 4 hours. So it would be impossible to download 70Mb files.

Is it possible to upgrade to at least a 128kbps DSL?

I'm not a WiFi user, so I'm unfamiliar with the settings and all that.

antdude
2008-07-21, 04:17
For 24,000 do you mean 24kbps?

Wow :P, it's just patience you need :laugh:. I was once a dial-up user and it was a pain to download large files, as the dial service would disconnect every 4 hours. So it would be impossible to download 70Mb files.

Is it possible to upgrade to at least a 128kbps DSL?

I'm not a WiFi user, so I'm unfamiliar with the settings and all that.Dude, I can't get ANY DSL. I can go IDSL but that is like 144Kb/sec both ways for 115 bucks a month. I think NOT. Same for satellite service. Slow, expensive, capped, high pings, etc. :( Cable FTW in my home pad. But nothing in the old lady's place. Remember, she doesn't even have a PC.

drragostea
2008-07-21, 05:17
Wow, that sucks. If you're not a active Internet user, except at work, then I wouldn't suggest purchasing IDSL.

antdude
2008-07-21, 08:52
Wow, that sucks. If you're not a active Internet user, except at work, then I wouldn't suggest purchasing IDSL.Yeah. Oh well, the slowness begins.

drragostea
2008-07-21, 19:43
I was a dial-up user too... except in my area they also offer DSL. However, I had to be persuasive to get High-speed Internet. More like begging my parents.

Well, if you have a USB flash drive it would be more than adequate to download the stuff you want at home at work. That's just my opinion.

antdude
2008-07-21, 19:53
I was a dial-up user too... except in my area they also offer DSL. However, I had to be persuasive to get High-speed Internet. More like begging my parents.

Well, if you have a USB flash drive it would be more than adequate to download the stuff you want at home at work. That's just my opinion.That is what I am doing. I brought my 1 GB USB Flash Drive to use (6 MB used for its security software). The whole thread was about getting every updates. :)

drragostea
2008-07-21, 21:12
Nice to hear. I usually have around 200MB worth of .exe files in mine :P.

Safe surfing antdude.