PDA

View Full Version : Silent Install

kkilby
2008-07-22, 17:48
Hello All,
I am trying to do a silent install of Spybot 1.6x. From reading the documentation I see you can put a switch on the end of the exe (/verysilent) which cause's spybot to be installed without any on screen prompts. This is where I'm getting stuck. When I right click on the exe or
the installer and go to properties there is no where that I can find to edit the exe with /verysilent switch. Once spybot is installed I am able to edit the shortcut it places on your desktop with the various switchs. Such as /taskbarhide, /autoupdate, /autoclose etc. I thought maybe you needed to create a shortcut to the installer and modify it there. I tried that with the /verysilent switch and when I ran it it still displayed the install progress on screen. Where am I going wrong here? Please advise and thanks

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-22, 19:59
kkilby:

Most people seeking information on silent installs are asking because they are installing Spybot on multiple systems. The need for information on how to install on multiple systems in many cases implies that you may be installing in a commercial environment.

I trust that you are aware that the license not free for corporate users of Spybot - Search & Destroy.
License - The home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/license/index.html
There is a special product for corporate use of Spybot - Search & Destroy called the Spybot S&D Intranet Server:
Home - Spybot S&D for non private use
http://safer-networking.ie/en/

To install Spybot 1.6 using the installation parameter "/verysilent", here are suggestions:
Download the installation program (spybotsd160.exe) to a known location. Example:
C:\Downloads\Anti-Spyware programs
Then instead of just double clicking on the spybotsd160.exe installation program to install Spybot, you either:
Execute the following via a command prompt:
"C:\Downloads\Anti-Spyware programs\spybotsd160.exe" /verysilent
--- or ---
Execute that same command in a DOS Batch Program (.bat file).

… When I right click on the exe or
the installer and go to properties there is no where that I can find to edit the exe with /verysilent switch. …
If you right click on the spybotsd160.exe installation program, select "Create Shortcut", then right click on the "Shortcut" that was created and select "Properties", you can modify the "Target" information by adding the "/verysilent" parameter so that the "Target" information looks like command prompt that I posted above. Then the "Shortcut" should execute the spybotsd160.exe using the parameter "/verysilent".

CharlesF
2008-07-22, 22:49
kkilby:

Most people seeking information on silent installs are asking because they are installing Spybot on multiple systems. The need for information on how to install on multiple systems in many cases implies that you may be installing in a commercial environment.

I don't agree with your implication. Many people have multiple systems, some of which are used by family members who are very inexperienced computer uses.

I usually place a silent install shortcut on a network share and instruct inexperienced family members use it to isntall a new version of Spybot.

This cuts down on both my bandwidth use and newbie questions.

Regards,
Charles

tashi
2008-07-22, 22:59
kkilby will no doubt clarify. ;)