PDA

View Full Version : banker.abj spy bot crashes?

painofthepc
2008-07-23, 22:04
Hello everyone,

firstly:
the contact page (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/contact/bugs.html), enter the word DOES field not work.

Ok so I'm hoping that some of you guys will be able to help me out.

I did a scan with spybot version 1.5 and it found a win32 trojan called banker.abj. Then Spybot hung after producing a mass of errors. Too fast to for me to read them.

So I updated to 1.6 and did the scan again. Right at the end of the scan same thing only faster and CRASH!! the whole PC went down.

I rebooted and here I am.

Any suggestions folks?

windows XP, avast antivius.

painofthepc
2008-07-23, 23:15
did the scan in safe mode...nothing found no crash.
restarted: switched off my antivirus ( avast ) and once more spybot scanned
and found nothing, and did not crash.

restarted: antivirus on: bingo large list of error quickly scrolling past and the PC crashes.

So do I have and infection?
Who knows?
Is this a bug?
Is it a compatability problem?

answers on a postcard please

Terminator
2008-07-23, 23:42
What version Of Avast! Are you using? The Latest is 4.8.1227.

drragostea
2008-07-24, 01:40
There doesn't seem to be any incompatibility issues with avast! and Spybot-SD. :sad:

Describe the list of "errors" that were rolling past the screen. Was it on Spybot's window? What is your OS?

painofthepc
2008-07-24, 12:16
As mentioned above my OS is windows XP.
avast is 4.8 version.

I'm gonna uninstall spybot 1.6 and see if I can get a screenshot of the errors
with 1.5.

I'll post the error image here if I can catch it in time.

painofthepc
2008-07-24, 12:45
ok, I did an Avast program update and run spybot 1.6 again.
This time it found zero problems and completed the scan without crashing or hanging.

I can only assume that;
when I installed 1.6 and immunized my system this got rid of the trojan, is this possible?

and by the look of some of the error messages that I was able to glance at
there were invalid pointer errors and some .dll errors.

maybe Avast program or .dll files had gotten corrupted?

anyone have any ideas?...Anyway If I can trust Spybot 1
.6 & I think I can because I've been using it for a few years now, my system is clean...??

thanks for the input folks.

drragostea
2008-07-24, 20:23
Sorry painofthepc, I forgot to take a look at your OS. Thanks for reminding me :laugh:.

Technically, I can't be sure how upgrading may have removed the "trojan"... It could be a possible false positive.

Well, I compared your most recent post to the your first post in this thread:
-I'm assuming everything is well, because Spybot-SD 1.6.0.30 does not crash during a scan anymore (assuming you ran a scan with avast! on).
-The 'banker.abj' trojan could be a false positive.
-Can you run a scan if you have the time with avast! to see if it detects anything?
-For the .dll and pointer errors, it is beyond my knowledge of what is happening :sad:, however is it gone?

You can trust Spybot-Search&Destroy : ).

Any other questions?

painofthepc
2008-08-10, 11:54
thanks, just did my weekly scan and it's definitely gone..who knows how? ;-).. updating Avast seemed to do the trick.

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-10, 15:47
painofthepc:

... the contact page (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/contact/bugs.html), enter the word DOES field not work.
This was just written a few days ago:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=219675#post219675

DougCuk
2008-08-10, 15:52
painofthepc - the invalid pointer errors and .dll errors would indeed indicate a corrupted program was causing your problem. So seeing as a reinstall of Avast cured the fault the best bet would be that it was Avast that was behind the OS errors you were getting.