PDA

View Full Version : S&d 1.5.20

tiger2
2008-07-24, 00:57
I just installed Spybot S&D 1.5.20 on my VistaHPsp1 and notice when I look in the languages, all languages are listed. Is there any way I can only have English (USA) listed (and remove all the others)?

Thanks.
Alice

(I notice ver 1.6 is now available, but think I will wait a while to get that. When I decide to download it, will it over-write the current version I have 1.5.20?)

drragostea
2008-07-24, 01:42
Where are the 'languages' located? Is it in Advanced Mode?

FYI: Spybot-SD 1.6.0.30 can safely overwrite Spybot-SD 1.5.2.20.

tiger2
2008-07-24, 02:22
Where are the 'languages' located? Is it in Advanced Mode?

FYI: Spybot-SD 1.6.0.30 can safely overwrite Spybot-SD 1.5.2.20.

Sorry, yes in Advaned/Settings/Languages

(I'm a bit new at this. My husban is the one who installed S&D on our other notebook.)

drragostea
2008-07-24, 02:33
It looks like it's located in 'Settings' > 'Languages'. I only have English. What other languages are listed on your Spybot?

The problem is that I can't seem to remove them, as English is the only entry that is listed. When I clicked on it, it redirects me to the main window.

Can you try upgrading, as it doesn't hurt to see if the languages are gone :cowboy:. However, if you take the extra step tiger2 I would suggest you uninstall version 1.5.2.20 and go with a fresh install (1.6.0.30; to see if this resolves the problem).

I would suggest you follow these steps for a clean install to avoid any possible problems/errors:

Run Spybot-SD in Advanced Mode.
Disable TeaTimer and SDHELPER.
Undo the immunization.
Uninstall Spybot-SD.
Reboot.
Download the small fix directly to the desktop and right click 'Merge'.

Download Spybot-SD 1.6.0.30 and install it.

tiger2
2008-07-24, 02:57
I did a search for "languages" on this board and saw something similar at:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=6815&highlight=delete+languages

I followed the directions about deleting the un-needed language files and now when I look I see only the languages I didn't delete.

drragostea
2008-07-24, 03:03
Oh alright. Thanks for bringing that up :cowboy:, I didn't realize that.

I would suggest you upgrade if you have the time. However, that is entirely up to you.

Safe surfing.

tiger2
2008-07-24, 16:12
It looks like it's located in 'Settings' > 'Languages'. I only have English. What other languages are listed on your Spybot?

The problem is that I can't seem to remove them, as English is the only entry that is listed. When I clicked on it, it redirects me to the main window.

Can you try upgrading, as it doesn't hurt to see if the languages are gone :cowboy:. However, if you take the extra step tiger2 I would suggest you uninstall version 1.5.2.20 and go with a fresh install (1.6.0.30; to see if this resolves the problem).

I would suggest you follow these steps for a clean install to avoid any possible problems/errors:

Undo the immunization.
Uninstall Spybot-SD.
Reboot.

==========================

Was just re-reading your (above) post again and was a bit confused about the sentence - "Download the small fix directly to the desktop and right click '[U]Merge"
What does that mean? What is it? Must it be done?

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-24, 16:42
tiger2:

For future reference.

During the installation of Spybot there are two (2) places where languages are involved. The first is where you are asked to select a language:

Select Setup Language

Select the language to use during the installation:

English

The second is when you are selecting the components to be installed:

Setup - Spybot - Search & Destroy

Select Components
Which components should be installed?

Select the components you want to install; clear the components you do not want to install. Click Next when you are ready to continue.
The following options is checked by default and should be unchecked if you do not want other languages besides the defaults installed:
Additional languages

drragostea
2008-07-24, 20:30
==========================

Was just re-reading your (above) post again and was a bit confused about the sentence - "Download the small fix directly to the desktop and right click '[U]Merge"
What does that mean? What is it? Must it be done?

What I meant by that is when you click on the 'small fix' you'll see a bunch of text. Then download it, in other words 'Save' it to the desktop (Ctrl+S). Right click on the registry file and click 'Merge'. This would be done after you reboot.

2008-07-24, 20:52
just wanted to add drragostea that that only needs to be done when using a different browser. If she uses internet explorer she can download the fix no problem. Do the process above but use internet explorer to download the small fix.

see: http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html
use internet explorer to go to that page, then after following all directions and restarting your computer, download and install the latest version. :)

tiger2
2008-07-25, 00:31
just wanted to add drragostea that that only needs to be done when using a different browser. If she uses internet explorer she can download the fix no problem. Do the process above but use internet explorer to download the small fix.

see: http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html
use internet explorer to go to that page, then after following all directions and restarting your computer, download and install the latest version. :)

Thanks
When I delete I am doing:

un-immunize
go into mode>advanced> >tools>resident (top left)
and uncheck SDhelper and t-timer if checked
go to add remove programs and remove spybot
install 1.6 > update>immunize

Do I ALSO have to download that "fix" from the SpyBot site? When it downloads, what do I have to do then? Do I have to do that "merge" thing? As I said, I am complete a novice at all of this. This is very, very confusing for me.
I am using VistaPremium sp1 / IE7.
Alice

drragostea
2008-07-25, 00:54
What I meant by that is when you click on the 'small fix' you'll see a bunch of text. Then download it, in other words 'Save' it to the desktop (Ctrl+S). Right click on the registry file and click 'Merge'. This would be done after you reboot.

Read above.

tiger2
2008-07-25, 01:23
Read above.

I went to the SpyBot page (while in IE7) and ran the "small fix"
but I didn't see a Merge mention anywhere. It just announced that files were added to the Registry.

I then downloaded the file and clicked on the file (remove-spybotsd-settings.reg) in the download folder and then it said the same thing, something like - the files were ADDED to Registry.

Did I do something wrong?

2008-07-25, 02:41
if you downloaded the file and opened it. :) drragostea was telling you to do a merge, but that is only needed if another internet browser is used such as firefox. Internet explorer will download the file fine, which is why i told you to use that. Your fine, you did everything correctly. :) now restart and download the newest version of spybot and install it. After the install, if you experience any issues, do the uninstall like you did before, following all the directions on the link provided. Download and run the fix using internet explorer. Then restart and try to install again. Also, since you have vista, you must right click the spybot icon and choose run as administrator when you run the program. :)

By the way, the reason it is being added to the registry is because it is adding what is needed to be done, the tool is being added to the registry which clears the remains of spybot from your system.

drragostea
2008-07-25, 03:39
This may be unnecessary, but good job 129260! I apologize if I wasn't making it clear tiger2.

tiger2
2008-07-25, 05:40
if you downloaded the file and opened it. :) drragostea was telling you to do a merge, but that is only needed if another internet browser is used such as firefox. Internet explorer will download the file fine, which is why i told you to use that. Your fine, you did everything correctly. :) now restart and download the newest version of spybot and install it. After the install, if you experience any issues, do the uninstall like you did before, following all the directions on the link provided. Download and run the fix using internet explorer. Then restart and try to install again. Also, since you have vista, you must right click the spybot icon and choose run as administrator when you run the program. :)

By the way, the reason it is being added to the registry is because it is adding what is needed to be done, the tool is being added to the registry which clears the remains of spybot from your system.

Thank you 129260
I am glad I didn't hurt the machine (my husband would have been mad when he arrived home from visiting relatives if new Vista notebook was broken because of something I did).

I did the download/install of 1.6 but just at the end of the instalation, there was small pop-up window reading:
"Unable to execute file: c:\program files\spy bot-search & destroy\SD Win Sec.exe..
Create process failed; code 740. The requested operation requires elevation."

As far as I could see, the 1.6 downloaded and loaded completely, except for that small pop-up window about the "unable to execute..."
I got scared that it didn't load properly/completely; so I un-installed the 1.6 the same way I uninstalled the 1.5 and I also used the "fix" again. I hope that was okay to do even though this was an uninstall of the 1.6 (and not the 1.5). I thought maybe the "fix" might be only for the 1.5 version.

#1- Was it okay to use the "fix" also in the un-install of the 1.6? I don't want to 'hurt' the Vista notebook (with Registry changes, etc.).
#2- What should I do now? Should I reinstall the 1.6 again? And if I do, what should I do if I get that same pop-up about the "unable to excute...?"
Is that something critical that the SD Win Sec.exe must be executed?
Do you have any thoughts?
I am really confused, but thank you for all your help. (As I said, I am not at all familiar with this and as a senior, computers 'scare' me.)
Alice

2008-07-25, 20:24
:) Your fine. It is ok to use the fix again, but I don't think you need to. you can again, if you want. it won't hurt anything. Try downloading 1.6 again, and when you go to install it, make sure you run the setup as an administrator. Your not going to break your husbands laptop, not on my watch haha. :) Your fine, try downloading 1.6 again. Then try installing it again, if you continue to get that error, i hope a team member will be able to shed more light on this, because i have never seen that error before. Like i said, make sure you run the setup as an administrator. Right click the install file and run as administrator. Let me know if you need further help or you are unable to install the new version.

tiger2
2008-07-25, 23:12
:) Your fine. It is ok to use the fix again, but I don't think you need to. you can again, if you want. it won't hurt anything. Try downloading 1.6 again, and when you go to install it, make sure you run the setup as an administrator. Your not going to break your husbands laptop, not on my watch haha. :) Your fine, try downloading 1.6 again. Then try installing it again, if you continue to get that error, i hope a team member will be able to shed more light on this, because i have never seen that error before. Like i said, make sure you run the setup as an administrator. Right click the install file and run as administrator. Let me know if you need further help or you are unable to install the new version.

Thanks again for your kind assitance.
I will try to download the 1.6 again tomorrow, but I just wanted to mention that the small "pop-up" box I received that read:

""Unable to execute file: C:\Program Files\Spy Bot - Search and Destroy\SD Win Sec.exe.
Create Process failed; code 740. The requested operation requires elevation.""

was received DURING the download/insallation. It WASN'T received AFTER the installation was completed and I clicked on the SpyBot icon.
I know about doing a right-click on the SpyBot icon and then choosing Run As Administrator.
The "pop-up" box that I received was DURING the download/installation process and there was no way to right-click on that.
I don't know if not executing that file (SD Win Sec.exe) during the download/installation is a BIG problem or that it will create serious repercussions!
During the download/installation there were two boxes checked, and they were:
"Install Security Center Integration" and
"Activate Security Center Integration."
I think the 2nd one is the one relating to the pop-up (SD Win Sec.exe).
I hope I am explaining this properly and it is not confusing.

Most of the replies have told me to right-click on icon and choose Run As Administrator. I knowI can do that AFTER the download and install. But my question deals with the pop-up message that is received DURING the INSTALLATION.
By the way, I should mention that I usually choose "RUN" (so it is downloaded and installed while I am online) rather than the "SAVE" (which will download and SAVE the program to my download folder) when downloading the 1.6. I read some posts that said it is better to use "RUN" (rather than "SAVE) as the "RUN" will install all needed fills right away.
#1- Which do you recommend?
#2- And where do you download from?

Thanks Alice

P.S. I didn't see anywhere where I could mention that I was Administrator during the download/installation, when I performed the "RUN."

(I did send email to the SpyBot Support site when I originally got the 'pop-up" and they too told me to right click on the SpyBot icon. But as I said, I get the "pop-up" DURING the download/installation.)

tiger2
2008-07-26, 00:42

Just an add-on...
I read what you said about running setup file as administrator. Just then I also got message from zenobia saying the same thing - "right click on setup file." I didn't know what that meant and then I realized that downloading the 1.6 as INSTALL will not allow a right click on any file. I was doing the wrong thing. I think Vista owners should be told to SAVE the file rather than use INSTALL.
This time I ran SAVE and went to my download folder and did a right-click on the setup.exe file, and used 'Run as Administrator.' Lo and behold - it loaded with no "pop-up" about the error code 740. I did a download of latest updates; did immunize and then ran scan. Nothing found!

I did notice that when I went back into SpyBot and clicked on something (think it was immunize) it stated the "requested operation requires elevation." But when the box disappeared, the immunization began. I didn't have to close the program and then right-click on the 1.6 icon. Don't know what that is all about. Even though I did the "run as aministrator" when installing, maybe I will still have to right click on 1.6 icon and run ad admin. (Just a bit confusing.)
Also, something minor - when I first entered program, it had "tip of the day." Is that a constant, or can I get rid of it?
I thought the 1.6 would be shown in the Control Panel/Security, but it isn't there, just my AVG.

Sorry to have been such a bother and to have taken up so much of your time. I can't thank you enough for all your kind help.
Alice

2008-07-26, 01:39
be on as administrator privileges, To make the "Run As Administrator" command Permanent right Click the Desktop Shortcut and go to: Properties => Application Compatibility => "Run As Administrator"

That way spybot will always run as administrator. :)

I am glad you were able to download and install it correctly. You are not a bother, asking questions helps you to learn!

tiger2
2008-07-26, 01:56
be on as administrator privileges, To make the "Run As Administrator" command Permanent right Click the Desktop Shortcut and go to: Properties => Application Compatibility => "Run As Administrator"

That way spybot will always run as administrator. :)

I am glad you were able to download and install it correctly. You are not a bother, asking questions helps you to learn!

Thanks.
When you say "Click the Desktop Shortcut," do you mean click on the SpyBot icon (on the desktop)?
I right-clicked on the SpyBot 1.6 icon and then clicked Properties. I clicked on Compatibility and then saw at the bottom: "Privelege Level" and "Run this program as an administratr."
Is that the box I should check?
(Just don't want to foul anything up.)
Thanks
Alice

drragostea
2008-07-26, 03:22
If Spybot-Search&Destory was successfully installed, then yes to answer your question. Also to clarify, the setup file for Spybot is the .exe file itself, the one you downloaded from one of the mirrors.

I hope 129260's step-by-step instructions cleared your doubt.

2008-07-26, 03:43
that is correct :)

tiger2
2008-08-19, 22:52

Undo the immunization.
Uninstall Spybot-SD.
Reboot.

Was just re-reading this posting and looking at my S&D. I can see where to UNDO the Immunization. But, can't see where to "Disable Tea Timer (don't believe I activated this on install)" and "Disable "SDHELPER."
Where might I find those two?
Also, still a bit confused about the "small fix" file and the MERGE. Is that absolutely necessary when/if S&D needs to be uninstalled?
Thanks for all your kind help.

Alice

drragostea
2008-08-19, 23:03
It is not absolutely necessary to use the "small fix" but it "reduces" the chance of you encountering when you upgrade, not really necessary in my eyes. It would be more like a fresh install.

To "disable" Spybot's Resident Shields run it in Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident. You can untick them both. Reboot>run the small fix and upgrade.

Zenobia
2008-08-19, 23:09
For Vista,you can rightclick the Spybot icon,select Run As Administrator,then click Mode->Advanced Mode(please click Yes to the prompt)->Tools->Resident to see Resident "SDHelper" and Resident "Teatimer".

No,the very small fix .reg file is not necessarily essential when/if Spybot needs to be uninstalled,unless you're having problems uninstalling.If no problems uninstalling,using the very small fix is up to you.

Sneaking up on me again,eh,drragostea? :D:

drragostea
2008-08-19, 23:16
It is not absolutely necessary to use the "small fix" but it "reduces" the chance of you encountering when you upgrade, not really necessary in my eyes. It would be more like a fresh install.

No,the very small fix .reg file is not necessarily essential when/if Spybot needs to be uninstalled,unless you're having problems uninstalling.If no problems uninstalling,using the very small fix is up to you.

Exactly the same definition, but just worded differently. And a 6 minute difference. No, Zenobia I wouldn't be sneaking up on you unless I was on the "Who's Online" page too :laugh:.

tiger2
2008-08-19, 23:17

To "disable" Spybot's Resident Shields run it in Advanced Mode>Tools>Resident. You can untick them both. Reboot>run the small fix and upgrade.

Thank you. I do see the SDHelper is the only thing checked; therefore, that would have to be UNchecked when/if I uninstalled S&D.

#1- Regarding the small fix (remore-spybotsd-settings.reg) file. After it is downloaded, I would only have to "click" on it (while in IE7) and it would remove S&D entries from Registry. (Click on it just as though it was an .exe file?) No right click and then MERGE if I am using IE7. Correct?

Thanks again, Alice

(I know we went over this before but it was still a bit unclear to me and I just want to make sure I have it memorized correctly. Will now add it to my write-up on S&D that I'll keep for future reference.)

Zenobia
2008-08-19, 23:54
:laugh: :laugh:

If the very small fix is saved to your desktop,you can either doubleclick it,or rightclick it and select Merge,it shouldn't make a difference.

Yes,you'd uncheck Resident "SDHelper" when/if you plan to uninstall Spybot.

drragostea
2008-08-19, 23:57
I'm not a fan of IE, but I only use it if something requires Active X or if I am using Microsoft/Windows Update.

I am not sure if double-clicking it as if it was a .exe will suffice, but you might as well take the extra step and do it on your desktop. IE offers a 'Save' and a 'Run' option following the download, so you can experiment ; ) and see if 'Run' works.

I thought about it and yes, double-clicking or 'Run' will suffice. Notice how the first option (in a .exe file; right click) is Open and it is bold. Now if you think about it... the .reg file is similar. Double clicking will execute the file (.exe) and should do so for the .reg file.

I hope I cleared your doubts.

--drragostea

tiger2
2008-08-20, 00:23
Thanks all.
I downloaded the "remove-spybotsd-settings.reg" file and saved it to my DOWNLOAD folder. That is why I was questioning how to 'run/execute' it.

I saw in previous post "Download and run the fix using internet explorer."

As usual, I got a bit confused about that, but then after thinking about it awhile I thought it just meant to download the 'reg' file while using IE. After downloading it (to my download folder), I could simply click on it to 'execute/run' it.

I've just heard so many stories about making changes to the REGISTRY and how it might ruin the compuer. I just bought this computer and would not want to ruin it with a wrong REGISTRY adjustment.

(I'm really a novice at all of this. Sorry!)

Alice

drragostea
2008-08-20, 00:54
Don't worry about it.

I ran it and it didn't cause the problem.

How about this. As a precaution, create a Restore Point and then run it.

Tell me how it goes.

tiger2
2008-08-20, 15:43
My thanks again.

I will place a "completed" on my file on how to uninstall Spybot safely.

Would anyone know a very simple and easy to use (free) firewall? I am removing NIS from my old notebook (WinXPsp3). When the NIS is uninstalled, the NIS firewall be also be removed.

I was told Sygate was easy to use (even though it hasn't changed since 2005) and is still being used by many people. As you know, I am completely new to computers and the firewall would have to be very easy to install and execute/configure. Others have said that Comodo is good, but quite complicated and large (20MB).
Thanks
Alice

drragostea
2008-08-20, 21:20
Alice, my suggestion to you is that...

This is how I see it: I don't category or specifically pick software/programs based on how "big" or "small" they are. I rely on their functions and how they "operate" :laugh:.

If I'm correct, Sygate firewall by now is a "dead" (unsupported/discontinued) firewall.

Comodo is a decent, robust firewall however it's Defense + may be a bit trouble for some users.

You can try ZoneAlarm or Kerio Personal Firewall (Sunbelt) if you do not wish to use Comodo Pro.
--
Safe surfing.

FYI: A "firewall" thread discussion is available in the Tavern.