PDA

View Full Version : Spybot: Global settings,admin privileges.

dfh44us
2008-07-24, 08:03
xp pro

Question 1.
I ran across the information i needed ,but lost the link and can not find it again,please tolerate possible redundancy

According to "Experts" there is a common problem with Spybot blocking access to internet options related to the "setting of homepage".

I have not been able to find references to internet options that dont discuss IE, I have attempted to uninstall IE, i had uninstalled IE on W98SE and it caused no problems,

I had to upgrade with this problem to IE7 to get some features working however still no access to internet options.

The article i ran across , that explained in detail every aspect of my problem mentioned that internet options will for an instant flash /open normaly. but then close. this happens every time i try to open internet options.

I am still unable to open internet options. Under control panel the icon for inernet options is visible however the script indicating its internet options is missing.
I attempted to use various techniques to open internet options. shift-right click- run as- i have tried numerous combinations of former and current passwords, I get a message that i "lack administrative privilege" to access internet options.

Question 2.
I added this as i am sure its a commonly understood solution:
I am unable to use spybot without being logged in as administrator. I was warned not to use the internet while logged on as administrator.
My spybot says i am not able to "immunize" because i don't have admin. privileges. I am also regularly shown a diolgoue box that says 'dangerous entrys' are not able to be deleated , please log on as admin.
How do i inable global use of spybot to avoid these problems?

dfh44us

md usa spybot fan
2008-07-24, 14:13
dfh44us:

re: Question 1.

There is an option within Spybot that can restrict access to Internet Options within Internet explorer. However that restriction normally results in the following message:

Restrictions

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.

[OK]
To see is this option is set, go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode » Tools » IE Tweaks. There are three "Miscellaneous locks" on Spybot's IE tweaks page:
Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers
Lock IE start page setting against user changes (current user)
Lock IE control panel against opening from within IE (current user)
The following is the option to restrict access to Internet Options:
If that option is checked, uncheck it. If not, I don’t know what is causing the problem with Internet Options.

wyrmrider
2008-07-24, 18:14
Internet options

CAn you get to Internet Options from Control PAnel?

Back when there was a lot of home page hacking I checked the
box
now- how to get to internet options without the bad guys being able to do it as they can from within Internet Explorer?
I go to Control panel
right click on internet options
and create a shortcut on the desktop
then when I see the contact admin message I go DUH
and go to my shortcut

works for me