PDA

View Full Version : Error code 740

tiger2
2008-07-24, 17:49
I deleted SpyBot 1.5.2 and tried to install 1.6, however, near end of install I got the message:

"Unable to execute file: C:\Program Files\Spy Bot - Search and Destroy\SD Win Sec.exe.
Create Process failed; code 740. The requested operation requires elevation."

What does this mean? Should I now uninstall 1.6 and re-install 1.5.2 which was working fine?

Please advise soonest.

Alice
(Vista HPsp1)

Zenobia
2008-07-25, 06:12
I'm not sure if this causes the problem or not(long story),but when installing Spybot 1.6 on Vista,do you remember if you got a prompt from User Account Control to run as administrator?

tiger2
2008-07-25, 16:03
I'm not sure if this causes the problem or not(long story),but when installing Spybot 1.6 on Vista,do you remember if you got a prompt from User Account Control to run as administrator?

Not sure!
I wonder if someone else who installed 1.6 on their Vista will remember and see this thread and post their reply.

I wonder if it would be "better" just to uncheck the two boxes which ask the questions:

"Install Security Centr Integration"
"Activate Security Center Integration"

when installing the 1.6.

I don't know if un-checking them would cause any problems. Once again, maybe someone who installed 1.6 on their Vista computer and had the same "experience" and will post a reply to this thread.

Zenobia
2008-07-25, 23:47
Actually,I got that error code the first time I installed Spybot 1.6.Uninstalling Spybot 1.6 and then running the installer as admin fixed it.
If you'd like to try that,you could uninstall Spybot from add/remove programs.
Then,go here and select a mirror to download from:
http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html
After you click the Download here button,choose Save,and save the installer file to your desktop.
Rightclick spybotsd160.exe and Run As Administrator,and see if it installs without the error message then.

tiger2
2008-07-26, 00:10
Actually,I got that error code the first time I installed Spybot 1.6.Uninstalling Spybot 1.6 and then running the installer as admin fixed it.
If you'd like to try that,you could uninstall Spybot from add/remove programs.
Then,go here and select a mirror to download from:
http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html
After you click the Download here button,choose Save,and save the installer file to your desktop.
Rightclick spybotsd160.exe and Run As Administrator,and see if it installs without the error message then.

Great! Thanks very much. I did delete the 1.6 I previously downloaded (I did a RUN (which downloaded/installed while I was online), rather than a SAVE which would have put the setup.exe file in my download folder. I did a SAVE this time and right clicked on the setup.exe file and chose Run as Administrator. NO ERROR CODE 740 this time.
I am now doing a Scan and will see what that produces.
Thank you kindly for solving this problem (So far, so good).
Alice
(People who use Vista should be advised to SAVE file rather choosing RUN.)

Zenobia
2008-07-26, 00:16
You're welcome.Glad it worked. :)

david coffin
2010-01-14, 16:05
You're welcome.Glad it worked. :)

What if i don't have spybot and i still get this code?

drragostea
2010-01-16, 02:08
david,

"Unable to execute file: C:\Program Files\Spy Bot - Search and Destroy\SD Win Sec.exe.
Create Process failed; code 740. The requested operation requires elevation."
Which portion of this code?