PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 didn't work any better than 1.5

caterwaul
2008-07-25, 10:28
I went from 1.3 to 1.5.2 and installed 3x's a few weeks ago and found each time the OS would crash on shutdown with Teatimer running my WIN98SE system. With Teatimer not running no problem however.

So I've now tried 1.6.3 and found that if I don't start the SB1.6 application interface then I can shutdown w/ Teatimer running (it may have been the case w/ 1.5 as well actually) but if I use the main program application interface at any time after which when I shutdown my OS will crash on shutdown w/ Teatimer running. However if I stop Teatimer then again no problem.

I've also found that 1.6.3 will crash if I attempt to update from the main application program but if I use the context menu "Search for updates..." by right clicking on the Teatimer icon the update will work with no problems.

So it would seem that if I use the main application interface at all I will crash on shutdown and if I use the "Search for Updates" in the main application interface executable program the Updater crashes trying to update even though the updater will work w/ the Teatimer context menu.

This would mean that the Updater executable is not the problem but instead I would presume that some combination of using the main application interface and the updater executable causes a problem as well as just using the main interface at all causes a shutdown problem unless I "exit" Teatimer.

Otherwise no other issues that I can see.

My impression is that anything from SB1.5 and up has become to "bloated" for my system.

I have increase the Minimum Stack Pages (MinSPs) by as much as 4x's what it was and what happens is that the OS no longer crashes on shutdown but instead "hangs" which I presume is because Teatimer will sometimes by using up to 80% of my CPU at times. Even with the 4x's MinSPs the Update will still crash trying to use it from the main application interface in any case.

The Application error message when the updater crashes is:
Exception EInvalid Cast in module SDUPDATE.EXE at 0000730EB invalid type cast.

As I said however the SDUPDATE.EXE works just fine when launching it using the context menu of the Teatimer.

The SB program error is as follows (the register dump isn't much help however):
This Program performed an illegal operation and will be shutdown;

Error Detail:

SDUPDATE caused an exception eedfadeH in module <unknown> at 0000:00000000.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=0000 EIP=00000000 EFLGS=00000000
EBX=00000000 SS=0000 ESP=00000000 EBP=00000000
ECX=00000000 DS=0000 ESI=00000000 FS=0000
EDX=00000000 ES=0000 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:

Stack dump:

I have enjoyed and appreciated SpyBot S&D through the years but it seems to have outgrown my system. :sad:

I would sure like to suggest a "lite" Spybot be offered for those who still want to keep their low resource computers safe.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

PepiMK
2008-07-25, 11:39
Could you use a bit less of formatting? It makes it difficult to follow the text if you constantly switch between plain, bold and italic.

I think I saw another report about an invalid typecast by SDUpdate.exe in the beta forum: see this thread.
That one is Vista vs. your 98SE. I did already check for details on what happens at memory address of that exception - it's something that happens in the runtime library part of the code (in easier terms: in a part that isn't in our code, but in the prepared generic code from the software development environment) regarding the graphics used in the user interface of the updater. The usual problem there would be some "downgrade" of system libraries (some old silly VB-created installers do install required system libraries even if the installed ones are newer, which, getting quite rare now, would overwrite e.g. standard 98, 2000, XP, ... libraries with old 95 ones).

As for lower resource usage, this might be of interest, there's a test version of TeaTimer addressing the memory problem.

caterwaul
2008-07-25, 18:52
Could you use a bit less of formatting? It makes it difficult to follow the text if you constantly switch between plain, bold and italic.

I think I saw another report about an invalid typecast by SDUpdate.exe in the beta forum: see this thread.
That one is Vista vs. your 98SE. I did already check for details on what happens at memory address of that exception - it's something that happens in the runtime library part of the code (in easier terms: in a part that isn't in our code, but in the prepared generic code from the software development environment) regarding the graphics used in the user interface of the updater. The usual problem there would be some "downgrade" of system libraries (some old silly VB-created installers do install required system libraries even if the installed ones are newer, which, getting quite rare now, would overwrite e.g. standard 98, 2000, XP, ... libraries with old 95 ones).

As for lower resource usage, this might be of interest, there's a test version of TeaTimer addressing the memory problem.

Thanks for the reply... :D:

As far as the first thread you supplied regarding the Update executable... I left a post there in the thread pointing out that while the Updater has problems if accessed through the main Spybot application interface there is not problem (at least for me) using the context menu of Teatimer (right click menu for Teatimer) to do Updates.

I kind of find that odd that the Updater executable works w/out any issues by launching the Updater via the Teatimer context menu but Updates fail w/ errors when used via the Spybot application interface (using the Spybot application executable). Presumably much of the reason for this would be resource issues as far as this oddity is concerned I guess but not sure why since the Spybot application interface should not be doing anything other than acting as a vehicle to launch the Updater executable.

As far as the second thread regarding the Teatimer using to much resources. My impression is that this is an issue that is exclusive to version 1.6. In my case Teatimer causes crashes on shutdown in either version 1.5 or 1.6.

Am I wrong here and are there issues in both versions 1.5 and 1.6 regarding Teatimer resource usage?

One last thought as I stated in the second thread you provided. I would presume that the Spybot developers bench test each version upgrade on an older resource starved system i.e 386, 50-100 mhz computer w/ WIN95 and 32-64 RAM. If the Spybot version upgrade works on a "clean" platform such as this then I think it would be safe to say that Spybot would work on any Windows environment as far as resource needs were concerned.

Oh and one very important point I would like to make as far as my computer crashing w/ Teatimer running.

This only happens not only w/ ONLY teatimer running but in the case of v 1.6 (and probably 1.5 actually as well) when I have USED the Spybot main interface. As long as I do not use the Spybot program for anything then I can shutdown w/ v 1.6 w/ no problem.

So it seems that in my case like something is left behind "so to speak" or something is not closed out properly when ever the main Spybot application interface is launched which ultimately impacts the OS system closing the Teatimer process on shutdown.

caterwaul
2008-07-25, 19:14
Deleted.

spybotsandra
2008-07-30, 13:14
Hello,

There should be a TeaTimer update today or next week that should solve this problem. So i would suggest to upgrade to version 1.6. :)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot