PDA

View Full Version : Major bug in 1.60...

Sephiroth
2008-07-25, 21:53
I can no longer immunize Firefox. I have 2.0.0.16 and it just refuses to immunize it. It shows the unprotected stuff, but clicking immunize does nothing. Any fix for this?

wyrmrider
2008-07-26, 00:04
was 1.6 a new install
or upgrade?
If upgrade did you overwrite 1.5 or remove first?
has 1.3 or 1.4 ever been installed on this machine?

If not a new install I'd do a complete removal
un-immunize
go to Mode>advanced>tools> internet
and turn off t-timer and sd-helper
then add remove programs and uninstall all copies of Spybot
reboot
then run the "small fix"
http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html
re-install 1.6

if it was a first time spybot installation - somebody else please
ps what os, AV other anti malware products if any
If Zone alarm do you have the Host file protection checked?
etc

Sephiroth
2008-07-26, 04:52
This was a system-wide format and reinstall from scratch. FF was clean, as was Spybot. Nothing was upgraded.

Windows XP Pro 32bit SP3
Spybot 1.60 Clean Install
Firefox 2.0.0.16 Clean Install
Symantec Corporate Edition (This is *NOT* the same as Norton)

Zone Alarm is 100% useless now that Windows has a built-in firewall, so I don't use it. Prior to that, I always had either a router with a good hardware firewall (NAT+SPI minimum) or I routed via a Linux box using IPChains. There is no file protection on this system beyond the stuff Windows does for the system32 folder and other critical files.

Zenobia
2008-07-26, 05:13
Please have a look at this post,and see if it helps:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30693

Sephiroth
2008-07-26, 05:17
Before I view that post, I must place you under arrest for using my 1280x800 background for a tiny avatar!! :P

Alright, I already tried that. In fact I figured that I simply needed to create the file so I did EXACTLY that before I posted here.

Zenobia
2008-07-26, 05:22
:laugh:

Zenobia
2008-07-26, 05:25
That's odd.I'll have a look around tomorrow,and see if I can find anything else. :)

Sephiroth
2008-07-26, 05:44
I also just added a single site that I know is used for ads by Microsoft to the blocked list (a.as-us.falkag.net) and closed FF, then attempted an immunization. Still won't immunize.

*EDIT*

Just figured out what the issue is. I went in and deleted the hostperm.1 file and the permissions.sqlite file, and then immunized. Spybot is creating the second file for some reason. However, after seeing this I simply went in and deleted both files, started FF, added a single blocked site, closed FF, restarted Spybot, and it decided to work. All seems to be good now.

wyrmrider
2008-07-26, 06:39
I guess the only thing to do till some wizard comes along is to see if a small set would work
wonder what could be blocking
actually I typed this before dinner gut did not post
good luck

Zenobia
2008-07-26, 08:43
Good,glad FF immunization is working now. :)

qbert_444
2008-07-26, 20:22
I too think there is something going on with Spybot 1.6 Immunization. I spent close to half an hour trying to make it work with FF 2.0.0.14 & 3.0.1 on a brand new formated disk that I installed Win XP SP3. Spybot was the second program I installed after Norton.

I un-installed FF and Spybot 2 times each with lots of reboot in between but I could never get it to immunize the FF part. I could not even find the hostperm.1 file...

Then by magic (I swear) I saw the FF part had been immunized. I do not know what I did differently.

I know I'm not giving you much to troubleshoot but maybe you can test out stuff anyways.