PDA

View Full Version : Spybot/AVG Free 8.0 Problems?

Nyssa23
2008-07-27, 06:51
I recently installed Spybot on my computer and am already running AVG Free 8.0. I saw from an earlier thread that Spybot is supposed to be compatible with AVG but after I installed Spybot yesterday, my IE slowed down so much it crashed every time I tried to open more than one or two windows and I would have to restart my computer. :hair: I finally just uninstalled Spybot to get some relief and now my IE is back to normal speed.

Could this be a conflict between AVG and Spybot, or is it a problem with my system? I have Earthlink DSL online connection. I really want to be able to run Spybot so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! :)

My system info (sorry but I have no idea what some of this stuff means, I just copied it from my System Info menu):

Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~930 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. A11, 6/11/2002
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Total Physical Memory 256.00 MB

I run IE 7.0.

Tom.K
2008-07-27, 19:48
I think that there is no incompatibility with AVG 8.

Have you maybe enabled checkbox "SDHelper (Bad Download Blocker) active.") in Spybot-S&D setup?

Nyssa23
2008-07-28, 07:21
I don't know if I did or not. Would that have made such a difference in the speed of loading web pages?

Could this be something related to the TeaTimer?

blues
2008-07-28, 08:26
i couldnt use avg because of the linkscanner or what it is called, it slowed down surfing to much, especially on google. but it is just to turn linkscanner off if you want. it is better things out there that does some of the same that linkscanner does. the "Bad Download Blocker" uses some resources i think, because as of i know it runs all the time when "internet explorer" does.

drragostea
2008-07-29, 00:00
Currently, there are no problems with Spybot-Search&Destroy coexisting with AVG 8.0. However, in the past there were false positives detected by AVG 8.0 in the immunization of Spybot and SpywareBlaster. I'm not sure if this is resolved, as I do not use AVG anymore.

As for SDHelper, it is merely more like a add-on, a second layer of protection in Spyboy-SD. Here are some relevant links:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=8389
How Spybot-SD protections against the installation of Spyware/Malware (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281)
I wouldn't call it "passive" protection like the Immunize feature, as SDHelper actively protects the user in a IE session.
--
Nyssa23, I came to a conclusion that there may be inadequate/insufficient RAM (memory) in your computer. The recommended amount of memory for the Windows XP Operating System is 512MB, however your OS has half that amount. What I can suggest is that you upgrade the amount of memory or you can switch to another anti-virus program to lower the chances of slowdowns and "insufficient" memory problems. AVG 8.0's memory usage is intensive (50MB for avgrsx.exe on average 1-2 hour use) plus another 3 or 4 of AVG's processes.

As I said before you can upgrade the amount of RAM on the computer or you can switch to another anti-virus program.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=16242

I personally use avast! because of it's minimal memory usage (small 'footprints'), however scanning will use more memory.