PDA

View Full Version : Spybot not really working

sweetlildevil45
2008-07-27, 23:23
Spybot starts, scans and it finds all the problems, but every time I click "Fix selected problems", there is an error message that says "out of memory" and after a while, it does not respond and Spybot shuts down.

I was wondering if anyone else have this problem? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

2008-07-28, 02:35
scanning in safe mode? Also do you have the latest version of spybot?

instructions can be found in the stickys in the spybot forum above.

Zenobia
2008-07-28, 02:42
Along with that,could you let me know what version of Spybot you have?If you're not sure,you can open Spybot,click help,then About.

caterwaul
2008-07-28, 03:27
Besides the version of Spybot also what Operating System do you have and what is your RAM (go to Control Panel > System to get this info).

Greyfox
2008-07-28, 15:34
sweetlildevil45,

I seem to recall this being attributed to a situation where there was an excessive amount of errors present at the end of a scan, but I can't find the post - I think it may have been in an answer from Spybot Sandra.

Anyhow, if you have a large amount of errors present at the end of the scan, untick them so you are only fixing 20 or so at a time and see how that goes.

Zenobia
2008-07-28, 23:25
I seem to recall this being attributed to a situation where there was an excessive amount of errors present at the end of a scan, but I can't find the post - I think it may have been in an answer from Spybot Sandra.

Would the post be one of the ones with the "Failed to load C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search _Destroy\DelZip179.dll" error messages?I noticed that in some posts with people who had that error,they were also getting out of memory errors,too,when they had Spybot 1.5.2 and were fixing a large amount of entries.

sweetlildevil45
2008-08-05, 03:59
Would the post be one of the ones with the "Failed to load C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search _Destroy\DelZip179.dll" error messages?I noticed that in some posts with people who had that error,they were also getting out of memory errors,too,when they had Spybot 1.5.2 and were fixing a large amount of entries.

Yes, I had that message. But after I restart the computer, spybot pops up again and scans and fixes the problems.

Zenobia
2008-08-05, 05:39
If you're using Spybot 1.5.2,you might want to upgrade to Spybot 1.6.0:
http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html

That's the latest version.

If you're using Spybot 1.6 already,or if you have any further problems,please post back and let me know. :)

ME_2&
2008-08-05, 21:41
@sweetlildevil45
Hmm (all good advice, especially Zenobia's if your OS can 'handle' the latest version - there are some few instances that may present conflicts with older 'vintage' winOSs like 98, 98SE and ME and the amount of RAM, running processes, etc also may result in boggish behavior).

My suggestion (if there is still an "out of memory" state when SSD is loaded and/or fixing found problems):
a) Run SSD while offline if possible; unload any nonessential apps or processes (open browsers, instant messaging or e-mail, printers on standby, automatic updates calling home and so forth)
b) Allow your comp to boot normally (no 'automation' for SSD - see Settings/Settings pg) and do things manually at first (very much the case if you clean usage tracks - try them one at a time to be sure you haven't lost any personal 'convenience' settings you'd like to keep like window size and placement, MRUs etc)
c) If you are comfortable doing so, unload TeaTimer if it is enabled (for some people TT may pose memory load/usage problems)
d) Load and run SSD scan .. when it completes, check a few problems at a time and allow SSD to fix them

Note that some AntiVirus and/or Security apps may possibly give 'warnings' or conflict with SSD's normal operation - if this happens, there may be other threads to read :)