PDA

View Full Version : Userinit.exe being changed to userinits.exe

TroyO
2008-07-29, 03:58
I have one that's been a bit of a pickle, any help would be greatly appreciated. It seems similar to the wsaupdater.exe problems, but a little different.

In this case, it's changing the registry entry for HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit to (UsualPath)\Userinits.exe,

So... I boot with UBCD4Win, run... well, just about every spyware app I can find. They pull a couple of things and after a few rounds I get clean reports all around.

I fix the appropriate registry key, and boot back in to windows. It then will log on, but after a few minutes Spybot comes up and tells me something is trying to change userinit.exe to userinits.exe and I DENY the change. Then I reboot and I'm back at the windows log in/immediate logoff problem and I go through it all again. The Reg Key does get changed, even though I said no.

Any help tracking it down is appreciated! I find info about wsaupdater.exe and such everywhere, but userinits.exe comes up blank, and SpyBots not blocking the reg change for some reason.

Yodama
2008-07-29, 07:29
hello,

it seems that the malware has at least one more position from where it starts and reinfects your computer.
Please create a Spybot S&D report file, to do this follow these steps:

do a scan with Spybot S&D
right click the scan results screen
choose to save full report to file

Please send this report file and the exe files in question to detections@spybot.info with a reference to this thread. We will analyse the malware and will help you disable it. We may request more files depending on what the report file tells us.