PDA

View Full Version : Please, please help me..Stubborn virus

izzanami
2008-07-29, 12:46
I have never posted here before, and I do not know very much about computers. I have read several of the posts and I think I have virtumonde (I hope I spelled that correctly). My computer has shut of windows automatic updates, no matter what I do I cannot turn it back on. If I get to a point where I think I can strange pages pop up and block me (usually dating sites) or it says it cannot display the page. Pop up ads show up on my computer even when I'm in MS Word and not on Internet explorer. I have run several virus scans with AVG scanning the entire pc, not just smart scan. I found one virus called "Js Psyme" (I thought this was the malware causing the problem) it healed it then five hours later I scanned again; Js Psyme was gone and eleven new viruses were in my computer. I've run ad-aware 6.0, and I ran Spy Bot S&D, it said I had three different types of virtumonde. I have a pop up blocker so I know this has to be some sort of malware. I've hada few viruses/trojan before, but they've always healed.

I noticed on the forums asking for help with this that people are posting "hijack logs" and "running processes". I figured the processes were what you see in the windows task manager, but what is written in the posts doesn't look like what I'm seeing in there so I can't offer that information because I don't know where to find it. I'm completely lost with this. So I can't post that unless someone tells me how.

If someone could please help I would really appreciate it. My only other alternative or so I'm told is to do a fresh install of windows and have the computer be like new again. I really don't ant to do that I don't know how.

katana
2008-08-05, 09:16
Please note that all instructions given are customised for this computer only, the tools used may cause damage if used on a computer with different infections.

If you think you have similar problems, please post a log in the HJT forum and wait for help.

Hello and welcome to the forums

My name is Katana and I will be helping you to remove any infection(s) that you may have.

Please observe these rules while we work:
1. If you don't know, stop and ask! Don't keep going on.
2. Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.
3. Please continue to respond until I give you the "All Clear"
(Just because you can't see a problem doesn't mean it isn't there)

If you can do those three things, everything should go smoothly :D

I apologize for the delay in responding, but as you can probably see the forums are quite busy.
Unfortunately there are far more people needing help than there are helpers.

Please Note, your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use.
Be assured, any links I give are safe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click here (http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/_download/HJTInstall.exe) to download HJTinstall.exe
Save HJTinstall.exe to your desktop.
Double click on the HJTinstall.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Hijack This.
Click I accept
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Installed Programs

Please could you give me a list of the programs that are installed.
Start HijackThis
Click on the Misc Tools button
Click on the Open Uninstall Manager button.

You will see a list with the programs installed in your computer.
Click on save list button and specify where you would like to save this file.
When you press Save button a notepad will open with the contents of that file.
Simply copy and paste the contents of that notepad into your next post.