PDA

View Full Version : Spybot's request to delete temp files

ky331
2008-08-01, 15:24
One of the features added in 1.6 is a query upon load to allow SB to remove temp files (when it finds a lot of them).
Since I regularly use CCleaner (and ocassionally Disk Cleanup) to remove an abundance of temp files, I'm wondering what files SB is "finding"??
Is it absolutely safe to allow SpyBot to remove all the "temp" files it finds? In particular, I note that some of the temp files it finds are currently in use, and then SB says it can't remove these.

blues
2008-08-01, 15:59
I'm wondering what files SB is "finding"??

i am also wondering about this, i couldnt see that it was temporary internet files it finds because they werent deleted when allowing spybot to remove the temp files it found.

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-01, 16:32
Gentlemen:

I believe that Spybot may be looking at either:
C:\WINDOWS\Temp
--- or ---
What would be displayed if you enter the command %temp% which includes the files in C:\WINDOWS\Temp and the user's temp files (C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp in Windows XP)
In either case the default "TempFolderCleanMinimum" is set at 100 so that the message will not appear if there are not at least 100 temporary files in the system. Personally, I have never received the message to clean the files.

ky331:

Apparently the cleanups that you are using are not cleaning enough of these temporary files (or at lease so that when you run Spybot that there at least 100 temporary files remaining).

melboy
2008-08-03, 11:43
If you were to use Spybot to delete temp files as stated, would it use standard windows deletion or secure deletion using its secure shredder?

busman
2008-08-14, 21:28
One of the features added in 1.6 is a query upon load to allow SB to remove temp files (when it finds a lot of them).

How is this query disabled? I don't want SB to delete files from my c:\temp directory upon startup. Thanks.

busman
2008-08-14, 21:35
In either case the default "TempFolderCleanMinimum" is set at 100 so that the message will not appear if there are not at least 100 temporary files in the system. Personally, I have never received the message to clean the files.

Where is this "TempFolderCleanMinimum" parameter located? In the Windows registry?

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-14, 22:51
busman:

Please see this post (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=222920#post222920).