PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.6 & FireFox Portable

bob54
2008-08-01, 19:31
Hi,

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get Spybot S&D to recognize and immunize FireFox Portable 3.0.1. I have no problems with SS&D and the standard FF3.0.1 on other systems, but this is a computer that has the portable version of FF installed on it, and I cannot get it to "find" the portable FF installation. Is there a tool or registry hack that I can use to get SS&D to see this installation?

TIA

bob

Lion7718
2008-08-01, 19:36
I'm just guessing here..but it would seem to me that you would have to install SBS&D on your portable drive also.

EDIT: Are you saying that Firefox Portable is installed on a desktop/laptop..??
Why not just install the full version of Firefox..than the problem would be solved.

bob54
2008-08-01, 22:18
IAre you saying that Firefox Portable is installed on a desktop/laptop..??
Why not just install the full version of Firefox..than the problem would be solved.

Yup. Using the firefox portable on a desktop computer used by multiple people. By using the portable version you get away from the user profile issue that causes a new user profile to be created each time a new person logs onto the system using a different user account. The portable version stores the default profile in such a way that anyone who uses the system uses the same locked profile.

bob

Greyfox
2008-08-02, 12:52
Bob,

Normally Firefox portable would be run from portable apps on a USB flash drive (and I use it in this manner). It is my understanding that portable apps applications are products in their own right that usually have significant differences to their PC based counterparts, and do not use the registry on the host PC, or at least not in the normal way.

Much of Spybots protection is based on entries inserted in the registry, so I suspect Spybot would need some fairly serious modifications to work with portable apps.

Perhaps PepiMK could comment.

bob54
2008-08-02, 17:12
Bob,

Normally Firefox portable would be run from portable apps on a USB flash drive (and I use it in this manner). It is my understanding that portable apps applications are products in their own right that usually have significant differences to their PC based counterparts, and do not use the registry on the host PC, or at least not in the normal way.

Much of Spybots protection is based on entries inserted in the registry, so I suspect Spybot would need some fairly serious modifications to work with portable apps.

Perhaps PepiMK could comment.

Yeah, thats pretty much what I figured. What I may try is to install the full version in the same directory, and remove it. Then re-install the portable version to that same directory to see if enough remnants remain in the registry so it "sees" the application.

I wash there was just a tool in SS&D which you could use to "point" to the application you want to protect (i.e. portable firefox).

bob

bob54
2008-08-03, 15:06
I have created a .reg file from an installation of the full version, made the pointers to the correct applications and such. We'll see how that works.

bob