PDA

View Full Version : Spybot not loading, but refuses to close (!?)

papagresh
2008-08-02, 16:44
I began experiencing this with v1.5 and it continues with v1.6. I'm running XP SP3, fully updated on a 2GHz Intel CoreDuo with 1GB RAM. I have done the uninstall/reboot/reinstall dance several times.

When I try to start SpybotSD, I get an hourglass cursor for a few seconds, as if SpybotSD is loading, but then he cursor disappears and nothing else happens. However, the Task Manager's [Processes] tab shows SpybotSD.exe running, but the [Applications] tab is blank.

I can use the computer normally after this if I choose -- in other words, it's if SpybotSD has simply failed to load but nothing has happened.

But when I try to restart or shut down the system -- regardless of whether I try to shut it down immediately after trying to run SpybotSD or if I spend some time running other applications -- I always get the message that SpybotSD refuses to close. If I wait, it simply hangs there. If I choose to end the program manually, my system hangs and refuses to shut down. At this point, Task Manager won't even load. My only option is to force a shutdown by holding down the power button.

I've used SpybotSD for years and never experienced this problem. I suspect a conflict somewhere but am clueless where to begin solving this issue. Any help would be most appreciated.

flagday1960
2016-02-16, 09:43
Don't you love it when you have crapware problems, like "Yahoo!" or Microsoft, and you google it to find numerous entries from half a decade or more, and the crapware manuf's are so customer contemptuous that they do NOT fix the glitches. It's "F YOU, LOSER" as far as they're concerned.

I have SpyBot's window open now. I cannot make it scan, nor can I close the F. thing. I guess I'll have to re-start my F. computer to get rid of this S.

Unreal, isn't it?

I began experiencing this with v1.5 and it continues with v1.6. I'm running XP SP3, fully updated on a 2GHz Intel CoreDuo with 1GB RAM. I have done the uninstall/reboot/reinstall dance several times.

When I try to start SpybotSD, I get an hourglass cursor for a few seconds, as if SpybotSD is loading, but then he cursor disappears and nothing else happens. However, the Task Manager's [Processes] tab shows SpybotSD.exe running, but the [Applications] tab is blank.

I can use the computer normally after this if I choose -- in other words, it's if SpybotSD has simply failed to load but nothing has happened.

But when I try to restart or shut down the system -- regardless of whether I try to shut it down immediately after trying to run SpybotSD or if I spend some time running other applications -- I always get the message that SpybotSD refuses to close. If I wait, it simply hangs there. If I choose to end the program manually, my system hangs and refuses to shut down. At this point, Task Manager won't even load. My only option is to force a shutdown by holding down the power button.

I've used SpybotSD for years and never experienced this problem. I suspect a conflict somewhere but am clueless where to begin solving this issue. Any help would be most appreciated.

tashi
2016-02-16, 17:16
Hello flagday1960,

The issue may appear to be the same but 7 years on with changing software and operating systems perhaps not.

Please list:

Your version and edition of Spybot: http://www.safer-networking.org/shop/
The operating system
Other security programs installed
Any other issues with the computer's performance

Best regards.