PDA

View Full Version : Problem with SpyBot

garychicken
2006-03-24, 11:38
When scanning with spybot my computer restarts with no notice what so ever, i think it is when it is scanning for some sort of CWS. i have tried searghing google but no luck. Does anyone know about this problem and is there a fix.

Thanks in advance

spybotsandra
2006-03-24, 11:43
Hello,

Which version of Spybot-S&D are you running?
Do you have the latest updates installed?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

garychicken
2006-03-24, 11:48
Version 1.4, with all of the updates

spybotsandra
2006-03-24, 12:04
Hello,

Please run a scan in safe mode:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406
That should fix it.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

garychicken
2006-03-24, 12:19
Thanks for your quick responding it is much appreciated

I have done the scanning in safe mode and it has came back as all clear, but i still have the same problem.

Cheers

spybotsandra
2006-03-24, 12:46
Hello,

This can be caused by an too high temperature of your pc.

If your PC is properly designed, it's cooling system should handle the devices originally installed without shutting down, even when it operates at 100% load. This of course assumes room temperature and that vents on the PC aren't blocked or the case filled with dust.

If you've changed major components without purchasing them from the orginal PC manufacturer, your taking your chances. There's no way they're going to test all possible devices or know what might happen, so that's why you're getting the run around.

If you've built the PC yourself, you're resposible for the cooling design, since the case and powr supply manufacturer can only give you general specs. True PC manufacturers test the heat caracteristics of the critical devices like CPU and HDD under various ambient temperature conditions with the system running at heavy load for at least several hours. The temperature sensors must stay below certain thresholds to be approved for manufacture or the desgin is changed.

However, be sure to keep the vents clear of dust and pay attention to the sounds of the fan(s), since they indicate that heat is increasing by speeding up in some cases and should normally idle quietly.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

garychicken
2006-03-24, 13:42
Thanks for the reply, i dont think it is due to overheating as it is not restarting in safe mode, also it has been able to take the strain of AVG + firewall, spysweeper, AdAware and Pestpatrol all scanning at the same time with out restarting

spybotsandra
2006-03-24, 13:54
Hello,

Please try the following to get the scan to work, but you'll have to do it each time you use the program.

- Open Spybot-S&D, then leave it alone
- Open Task Manager, and go to the Processes tab
- Right-click on SpybotSD.exe, and choose "Set Affinity..."
- On the box that comes up, check/uncheck boxes so that ONLY "CPU 0" is checked.
- Go back to the already-open Spybot-S&D, and run a scan. It should complete without hanging or losing responsiveness.

This can also be done like this:
Please run Spybot-S&D and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode".
Now select "Settings" -->"Settings" from the navigation bar on the left.
Under "Main Settings" you will find the point "Scan priority".
There you should choose "Lower" by ticking the checkbox.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

garychicken
2006-03-24, 14:11
Unfortunatly that never worked