PDA

View Full Version : Unable to install Spybot version 1.6.0

rnbitter
2008-08-06, 22:15
When I tried to update my Spybot version 1.5.2 today it included a program update to 1.6.0. As the Update began to install this I received a Windows error message saying "Spybotsd160.tmp has encountered a problem and needs to close", then sending an error report to Microsoft. I reopened Spybot and noticed that the version was still 1.5.2. I then tried to download a complete new install program for Spybot 1.6.0. When I then tried to install this over version 1.5.2 I received a similar error message. What's up--how can I update to version 1.6.0?

SS&D User
2008-08-07, 02:10
When I tried to update my Spybot version 1.5.2 today it included a program update to 1.6.0. As the Update began to install this I received a Windows error message saying "Spybotsd160.tmp has encountered a problem and needs to close", then sending an error report to Microsoft. I reopened Spybot and noticed that the version was still 1.5.2. I then tried to download a complete new install program for Spybot 1.6.0. When I then tried to install this over version 1.5.2 I received a similar error message. What's up--how can I update to version 1.6.0?

First download and SAVE the zipfile of 1.6 (...on your desktop is a good place). Then disconnect from the net. Uninstall SS&D 1.5 following these directionshttp://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html. Disable all running programs (to use msconfig in XP for this: Start>Run>Startup Tab>Disable all>click all the oks to get out & allow the computer to restart). Then double-click the zipfile to install the program. While installing, it'll ask if you want it to connect for updates now >don't allow it. After installation, go back into msconfig and start only the progs you want to start running in the back ground when you re-boot your computer. These should include all your anti-malware progs like Anti-Virus and Tea Timer. Shut the computer off. Rehook to the internet. IMMEDIATELY update SS&D and then Immunize.

***NOTE:The lower the number of progs you allow to start in this manner the faster your puter will run. MS has been known to suggest six in the past, but if you have more you'll just sacrifice a bit of speed and/or performance. Just try to keep it as low as you possibly can. Simply because a program is not checked in msconfig doesn't mean you can't use it. It only means it won't be running in the back ground all the time eating up precious resources.

I hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!!!:):wav::)

SS&D User
2008-08-07, 02:27
http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

:oops:

drragostea
2008-08-07, 19:55
Spybot-Search&Destroy 1.6.0.30 comes in a .zip file? Where did you get this from?

SS&D User, in my honest opinion, I really don't think that disconnecting the computer from the Internet is a required task. I would call that optional. In addition, I don't see how disabling all the entries in the Start Manager (msconfig) will do good because you're instructing the member to also disable 'neccesary' program tasks, if that's what you mean.

@rnbitter: I would suggest you do this.
--I'm not sure what may be causing this error, but a simple uninstall, reboot, and upgrade will do.

Download Spybot-SD from SaferNetworking's servers (Spybot-SD's official page): http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
-
Open Spybot-SD 1.5.2.20 and go to Mode>>Advanced Mode. Click 'Ok' on the prompt. Go to the Tools tab>>Resident and you'll see:
Resident SDHelper
Resident TeaTimer
Disable them both (unticking).

Undo the Immunization. Uninstall Spybot-SD from your computer and reboot.

Then double click on the Spybot 1.6 file (.exe) on your desktop and execute.

If you still have trouble refer to the uninstall thread.

SS&D User
2008-08-11, 03:33
The reason for disconnecting from the net is that the process of turning off all startup items in msconfig disables all anti-malware programs and other "armor-ware". Can't have the computer on hooked to the net without firewall, anti-virus, etc can one?

As for disabling stuff in msconfig, it's never been problem for me, ever. The reason to do this is that when a program is installing it can very easily become corrupted or even, sometimes, corrupt existing files of programs that are running in the back ground...or especially the foreground. This is why a *lot* of programs show a splash screen at the beginning of the installation process warning one to turn off all running programs before proceeding and offers the option to interrupt the install to get any running progs shut off.

If you want to get right down to it, the *best* thing to do is install progs in Safe Mode whenever possible. In Safe Mode *NOTHING* but the barest of essentials are running. ;) :)