PDA

View Full Version : This install makes no sense

HoustonInn
2008-08-07, 06:20
I've read several post and so far no one seems to have encountered this; I simply cannot run Spybot. I know TeaTimer is there because I can see it in Task Manager. I can update, I can use FileShredder - by SDMain only opens as DOS window for a nanosecond and then.... nothing.

I've tried 1.5.2 which I have installed and recommended for quite sometime. And I have 1.6 on another PC and a laptop - but I cannot get 1.6 to run on the PC. I've copied my old 1.5.2.exe from another PC, installed it here - nothing. Downloaded 1.6 directly - nothing.

This is making no sense.

Any clues?

Thanking you in advance. :)

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-07, 06:33
HoustonInn:

The main program to run Spybot is SpybotSD.exe (see note #1) not SDMain.exe. If you created a shortcut during the installation just double on that to start Spybot. If not see below.

Note #1: Starting with Spybot 1.5.2 some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
Uncheck the following option:
Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
The files should now be displayed
Once you can see SpybotSD.exe, right click on the program and select "Create Shortcut".

Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.

HoustonInn
2008-08-07, 07:12
Okay - I'll get back on this thread tomorrow with the results of your instructions.

Thank you.