PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.6 won't immunize Firefox

talkinggoat
2008-08-07, 06:31
I'm having a problem with spybot 1.6 immunizing firefox 3, for some reason. I don't have any spyware scanners running, just spybot and NOD32. It will not immunize firefox default(cookies) default(images) default(installations) default(popups) I'm stumped.

Greyfox
2008-08-07, 08:23
talkinggoat,

Did you previously have Firefox 2 installed on the PC, and if so did you completely uninstall it before you installed Firefox 3, and by that I mean manually remove any left over folders and files after the un-installation process.

If you look at the immunisation screen, in the Firefox group, are there two of each catagory. If there are, could you see whether a file named hostperm.1 is in your browser profile folder - if so try deleting it - it belonged to Firefox 2 - Firefox 3 uses a file called permissions.sqlite.

If this fixes the problem, post back and let us know, if not could you please provide some details about your operating system, CPU type, etc, and perhaps also some time frame details as to when Spybot 1.6 was installed relative to the installation of Firefox 3, and whether there was an earlier version of Spybot on the computer.

GaryS
2008-08-20, 21:30
I have Vista/Firefox 3 and also could not immunize. Finally tried UNDO, and then could immunize. But after downloading updates from today (8/20/08) the problem reoccurred and I can't correct. Now what? Thanks, Gary

GaryS
2008-08-20, 21:35
P.S. I have a new computer with Intel Quadcore 6700, Vista premium and have never had any Firefox on it other than FFox 3.

dsosb
2008-08-20, 22:01
I am having the same problem. Firefox will not immunize. I am running FireFox 3.02 and Windows XP Pro. I did not have Firefox 2.0 installed before 3.0 so That is not the problem. I also did not have the bad prefs file. Any other ideas?

bytegeek
2008-09-09, 17:30
I've re-installed a fresh XP copy with Firefox 2 - same problem.
Problem did not exist with Spybot version 1.5.2.

GaryS
2008-09-10, 00:12
This seems to work for the now occasional "Will not immunize" Open Spybot, go to immunize and click undo. When this finishes, then click immunize. It seems to work.

Paphs
2008-09-13, 16:10
I also can't immunize Firefox 3 stuff...
I have uninstalled and reinstalled spybot but to no avail. i've also removed immunization and redone it.
there's a good chance i didn't uninstall firefox 2 before updating to 3, though....

esman01
2008-09-15, 07:12
I also can not immunize half of the Firefox entries (Cookies, Images, Installations, Popups). Almost like a 2nd "hidden" Firefox profile exists.

Tried Undo then Immunize - did not fix the problem.

I had this happen on another computer that I worked on the other day as well.

Win XP SP2, AVG 8.0 (updated 9-14-08), SpywareBlaster (09-12-08 update), SS&D 1.6.0.30 (with 2008-09-10 update), & FF 3.0.1 with McAfee SiteAdvisor 2.8 & Google Toolbar add-ins enabled, AVG Safe Search and AVG Security Toolbar add-ons disabled.

esman01
2008-09-15, 07:32
Greyfox - I deleted the hostperm.1 file but it did not fix the problem - still unable to immunize.

esman01
2008-09-20, 03:00
I now have worked on several computers that are not immunizing all Firefox items. Does anybody have any other possible solutions?

spybotsandra
2008-09-22, 13:46
ello,

Please try the following:
Go to the folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

There please delete the permissions.sqlite and generate a new file for the hostperm.1 that is empty.
Now please immunize again.
That should solve the problem.

This information is also available in our forum:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30681

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

esman01
2008-09-23, 01:02
Sandra:

Thank you for replying. I deleted the permissions.sqlite files and generated a new blank file for the hostperm.1 for each profile, but it did not fix the problem. Five of six default profiles immunize properly, the sixth one does not. (I also did a search for those files, and made sure that I found all of them.)

I need to return this computer back to my customer, but I have several customers who have this issue. I will explain to them to ignore it for now, and hopefully we will get a fix for it down the road. Thanks again for your help.

talkinggoat
2008-10-14, 23:03
I have tried all of the suggestions on this thread. The problem is still happening, across several clients running both new and existing installations of xp and vista. No luck yet.

Paphs
2008-11-01, 13:02
i have tried the solutions too but now, instead of having 26,000-some not immunized, i have 150,000+ not immunized...

drragostea
2008-11-01, 21:54
Paphs:
What Operating System are you running?
Open Spybot-Search&Destroy>Immunize tab> and click Immunize (Green Cross) again. That should do the trick.

Paphs
2008-11-08, 14:19
xp service pack 3
firefox 3.0.3
spybot 1.6.0.30

several users on my machine.
it's weird but it seems that the permissions.sqlite regenerate after i go through and remove them for the users that have them.

drragostea
2008-11-08, 20:02
Did you read my previous post? And did it work?
Did you Immunize from a Administer account?

Paphs
2008-11-09, 14:17
yup. i've tried what's been listed above as well as searching for other posts that might help. i am going to undo immunization, remove spybot (and try to figure out how to fun the very small fix) then try to reinstall it.

i just don't understand how and why firefox puts those permissions.sqlite back after i delete them.
i do have administrator privileges.

Paphs
2008-11-09, 15:14
now 209,000+ not immunized after i try to immunize and try again...

betjohns
2008-12-29, 15:41
I might have found a solution for this. For some reason a hidden account in XP called Local Service had a Firefox profile. I deleted this profile and then I was able to immunize properly. I hope this helps someone.

I am running XP-SP3, Firefox 3.0.5, and Spybot, Search & Destroy 1.6.0.30

rsgibson
2009-02-17, 03:56
It is the Popups item in the Firefox category that is causing the hang.

Try unchecking that item. You might have to use "Undo" a few times.

Paphs
2009-02-19, 21:42
the new version fixed it.
thanks...

Hellish
2010-01-14, 21:32
Ok I need HELP with Immunizing FIREFOX I just wrote out a long Bleeping Reply I'm not doing it again srry but I have tried everythig the Login in to admin and right clicking the icon and admin those both did not work ok so I have tried the premissions file thng didn't not work I have tried undo and reimmunized did not work wow surprise.. So I have a Problem with Immunizeing FireFox & I like it too much not to use so can someone Help with this thanks for any help. Oh here is a pic of what won't immunize

Oh I have never done that beforeso someone is going to have to help me with attaching that image thanks again vary much.

Hellish
2010-01-15, 21:16
http://8ovuyq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pT10RZQ1ItzXyRD6yqS4dU86aUEnCghhce4QgrX48owtqflwQDmJBMUZ8IgE7lMkbAyx_D6oP9A9p4irUAPx87FRik0uij4yJ/S%26D%20problem.jpeg

Ok I have the image here above this is it and what can I do about this and tell me why its doing it so I can atleast stop sing whatever is making it does this. If it is spyware that maybe still lingering then fine I"ll have to do something about thatbut I need to immunize these for firefox before I even try to start to use it so.... a'lil please... would be nice.................

badlands
2010-01-16, 16:52
ello,

Please try the following:
Go to the folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox

There please delete the permissions.sqlite and generate a new file for the hostperm.1 that is empty.
Now please immunize again.
That should solve the problem.

This information is also available in our forum:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30681

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Firstly I cannot find the Documents and Settings, even though I have searched using the computer search.

Secondly, I also cannot find the permissions.sqlite file either. I wish there were an easier way of doing all this! I am not THAT technical that I have to go in and change system files. I tried uninstalling Firefox and Spybot, but still it doesn't work, I am having to keep the programs on whilst I go on Firefox because everything is always unprotected.

Useless!

Hellish
2010-01-17, 19:51
Firstly I cannot find the Documents and Settings, even though I have searched using the computer search.

Secondly, I also cannot find the permissions.sqlite file either. I wish there were an easier way of doing all this! I am not THAT technical that I have to go in and change system files. I tried uninstalling Firefox and Spybot, but still it doesn't work, I am having to keep the programs on whilst I go on Firefox because everything is always unprotected.

Useless!

Hey, Just read your reply and though whoa your needs are more than mine here. I acn help you find these things I have found that file they talk about but can't seem to do what they say with it I'm lost to as too what they want us to do with it so I can't do much about that for us both so al I can do is try this myself and report back here with detailed walkthrough I"ll try my best here lol. But first you want to go to your C:\ Drive your Local Hard Drive that Windows is on....If you need help finding that all you do is go to "START" (Button) look at the right side of this panle and you should see "My Computer" than click this. This will bring you into a window that has the A;\ Drive or/and other media drives like your cd rom and DVD roms :D Next after finding this Drive C:\ it can also look like this "Local Disk (C:\)". So now that you have found this little blitter of a drive click on it and go into it, then you will be in a window with three folders one that reads "Documents and Settings" next below it should be "Program Files" & next "WINDOWS" Now Go into the "Documents and Settings" folder. Next you'll see other folders here with names to accounts like the defult account and admin so you want to go into your account folder so find it. It will be named the same as your username to log into Windows at the logon screen. Next find "Application Data" folder go into this folder and find "Mozilla" folder Next find and go into "Firefox" folder. Ok Now you see the folder called "Profiles" go into this folder then the next folder there should be only one called "tbiyoawl.default" and vol la your in there near the middle should be the "permissions.sqlite" ok so here is a recap and in fast motind first you find "Local Disk (C:\)" --> "Documents and Settings" --> "Your Username Account Folder" --> "Application Data" --> "Mozilla" --> "Firefox" --> "Profiles" --> "tbiyoawl.default" --> the "permissions.sqlite"

Now that's how to find it I don't understand what or how to change it to ths host prem.1 file so goodluck and thanks for reading. :eek:

badlands
2010-01-17, 21:59
Hey, Just read your reply and though whoa your needs are more than mine here. I acn help you find these things I have found that file they talk about but can't seem to do what they say with it I'm lost to as too what they want us to do with it so I can't do much about that for us both so al I can do is try this myself and report back here with detailed walkthrough I"ll try my best here lol. But first you want to go to your C:\ Drive your Local Hard Drive that Windows is on....If you need help finding that all you do is go to "START" (Button) look at the right side of this panle and you should see "My Computer" than click this. This will bring you into a window that has the A;\ Drive or/and other media drives like your cd rom and DVD roms :D Next after finding this Drive C:\ it can also look like this "Local Disk (C:\)". So now that you have found this little blitter of a drive click on it and go into it, then you will be in a window with three folders one that reads "Documents and Settings" next below it should be "Program Files" & next "WINDOWS" Now Go into the "Documents and Settings" folder. Next you'll see other folders here with names to accounts like the defult account and admin so you want to go into your account folder so find it. It will be named the same as your username to log into Windows at the logon screen. Next find "Application Data" folder go into this folder and find "Mozilla" folder Next find and go into "Firefox" folder. Ok Now you see the folder called "Profiles" go into this folder then the next folder there should be only one called "tbiyoawl.default" and vol la your in there near the middle should be the "permissions.sqlite" ok so here is a recap and in fast motind first you find "Local Disk (C:\)" --> "Documents and Settings" --> "Your Username Account Folder" --> "Application Data" --> "Mozilla" --> "Firefox" --> "Profiles" --> "tbiyoawl.default" --> the "permissions.sqlite"

Now that's how to find it I don't understand what or how to change it to ths host prem.1 file so goodluck and thanks for reading. :eek:

Thanks for that, shame though that I followed your instructions and there is actually NO Documents and Settings folder on my Windows Vista computer. Hence my dilemma!

Hellish
2010-01-19, 02:20
Thanks for that, shame though that I followed your instructions and there is actually NO Documents and Settings folder on my Windows Vista computer. Hence my dilemma!

Really on vista um it miht be hidden because of vistas stric rules it might have hidden that folder try looking that up on google for vista maybe that might work I only use windows Xp pro until I get the next huck o junk I have working its all I can get going on a 3.0 Ghz one core Hyper Threading core lol sucks but it works :) srry I couldn't help

Srry also try instead of Docs & settings folder it might be called my Documents might I'm not sure try that again later

AH HAAAA I found it I search on google and now its called "USERS" so now you should be able to see some what where it might lead to just look in some of those folders under the USERS folder and peak in each one most likely it'll be the same folder names maybe so check app data first if nothing then maybe the next likely file folder and thus thanks again for being patience here is a link to the site I found it on good luck and all with this.

http://ask-leo.com/why_cant_i_access_the_documents_and_settings_or_local_settings_folders_in_windows_vista.html

leo.com is a well known and safe site thanks again later

Hellish
2010-01-20, 17:22
Really? No One can help here I have tried ever little piece of advice I have seen on this thread and it still seems I can't immunize Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.7) Gecko/20091221 Firefox/3.5.7 I"m using Spybot 1.6.2.46

So can someone please when they find the answer like say if they find out that for some reason has to do with a firewall or some other app or something to do with windows on Ccleaner I have and use that by the way and it has them both listed to clean in there all it does do though is clean well wait it does show the sqlite for like a sec so I know it cleans it maybe that's the problem that it is Ccleaner so if it is let it be known I figured that out I'm going to try something later

Hellish
2010-01-20, 18:21
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Fello people of Spybot & Firefox alike I have the answer If you can't seem to immunize I can Help or this Post anyway. I just had a feeling every time I say the Sqlite being deleted by my Ccleaner program I forgot that it ends up defaulting Spybot into its cleaning process & so I unchecked the box thus ah I'm now enjoying Firefox again thank you Spybot forum anyone still having problems look no farther look here instead

Ok here's what you do like most will know what this is....you go into the folder Mozilla and then into Profiles and into the next folder and right click the file in question which is for those who don't know Permission.sqlite so right click hit properties and read only and problem solved yeah.

Cloudcatcher
2014-06-26, 00:08
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Fello people of Spybot & Firefox alike I have the answer If you can't seem to immunize I can Help or this Post anyway. I just had a feeling every time I say the Sqlite being deleted by my Ccleaner program I forgot that it ends up defaulting Spybot into its cleaning process & so I unchecked the box thus ah I'm now enjoying Firefox again thank you Spybot forum anyone still having problems look no farther look here instead

Ok here's what you do like most will know what this is....you go into the folder Mozilla and then into Profiles and into the next folder and right click the file in question which is for those who don't know Permission.sqlite so right click hit properties and read only and problem solved yeah.

Hi, I posted the same info about Spybot and its conflict with CCleaner In November 2013 in the immunization thread and said to exclude the permissions.sqlite files from the exclude section of CCleaner. The problem with my solution was that the default user changes with updates for some reason. Yours is a much more elegant fix. I did have to move the permissions.sqlite file that had data from the administrator account into the user account and then make them both "read only." The administrator permissions.sqlite file had 1.7 mbs of data once I changed it to read only and after copying the full file into the user file, marking it "read only" both profiles immunize perfectly. When I followed the "hostperm.1" thing and deleted the permissions.sqlite file, Firefox just kept replacing it, so it did nothing and I don't know why that is still on the boards as it doesn't work.