PDA

View Full Version : internet cache window

TA_Wookie
2008-08-07, 07:41
when spybot 1.6 starts up it has that warning to delete your internet cache. how do i disable that so that it doesn't start? I delete my internets cache at my own time when i do it. i don't want that to start when i start program.

blues
2008-08-07, 08:30
maybe this helps you: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=31891&highlight=temp

DougCuk
2008-08-07, 09:37
It is not the Internet Cache files it is offering to clear - it is the Temp folder used by Windows when installing programs and for other processes such as unpacking archives.

The normal location of this Temp folder in XP is:
C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Temp

3rd party applications are notoriously bad at cleaning up this folder when they have finished and it can get loaded up with thousands of old files and folders. This in turn can cause problems with the shear volume of entries or when identical files already exist in the folder during a future install. As long as you are not in the middle of installing an application or some other process that requires to run a process at a later time (like at the next reboot) you are safe to clear the Temp folder.

Malware often leaves an encrypted copy of itself in this folder as a backup in case the installed copy gets deleted - if it is also memory resident it may then attempt to reinstall itself from this hidden copy. Hence it is good policy to clear this folder as a precaution.

XP provides the "Disk Cleanup" button via the Disk Properties panel but is not very aggressive at cleaning up the Temp folder and most times will leave many entries untouched. I have not tested yet but I assume Spybot would be more thorough in its cleanup.

TA_Wookie
2008-08-07, 21:01
Oh ok it's the temp file were Installs go not the temporary internet cache. ok got yea thanks for the info.