PDA

View Full Version : Fixed meaning and what did Spybot do to Fix?

CMan1
2008-08-07, 15:34
New user to Spybot. I ran and had a few creatures on different systems. Then I hit the fixed button. Everthing had a green check mark and said fixed.

I have been reading through and I'm wondering how everything got fixed.

Is there an explanation how Spybot Fixed ? Did it change the registry to not allow the Trojans not to run again. Or did it remove them?

Very curious how this works appreciate. Any good books on this as well for the registry.

I'm also wondering should I take the time Nuke the Hard Drives and reinstall the Operating Systems.
Or just run Spybot say every other day to check systems?

Thanks,
Have A Great Day!
CMan1

drragostea
2008-08-07, 21:59
Hello CMan. I wouldn't be so quick to "nuke" and reformat the hard drive, unless it is a very serious trojan (such as a backdoor). In my perspective, I would tell you that the general idea of how Spybot-SD removes them (like any other anti-spyware program) will be removing the file directly. Spybot-SD creates a backup of the entry (file or registry key) that has been deleted in case something goes wrong, so the user can undo the whole operation.

Also read: How Spybot-S&D protects against the installation of malware/spyware (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=32181)

Also, may I ask what were those entries? You can find them under the 'Recovery' tab if you do not remember.

CMan1
2008-08-09, 01:01
I see it is moved but where to so I can reply.
Thanks,
CMan

CMan1
2008-08-09, 01:14
drragostea,
I just ran to systems scanning with WD.
Everything seems to be okay.
Scanned again tonight with Spybot all okay.

I have question in reference to updates. Should one be updating the beta's as well as regular version 1.6.0.0
Systems settings protector 1.6.0.20
Thanks,
CMan

CMan1
2008-08-09, 02:13
Everything seems to be fine Stealth leak etc.

I really don't rely on but still is great to check. Best to check with Command Line and PowerShell and other fine tools as well.

Takes time but well worth it.
Patience I guess learn more everyday.
Have A Great Day,
CMan

drragostea
2008-08-09, 07:55
Spybot-SD does not serve as a firewall in case you thought that :laugh:.

Updating with the beta updates will be up to the user's decision. Usually the beta updates for the testing, so it is likely you'll encounter bugs.

Actually the beta version of TeaTimer may actually do some good as it resolves the the CPU usage problem.

I hope I cleared your doubts CMan.

CMan1
2008-08-11, 15:52
Thanks,
CMan

drragostea
2008-08-12, 01:40
Also, may I ask what were those entries? You can find them under the 'Recovery' tab if you do not remember.

:laugh: If you don't mind and have some spare time.

You're welcome.