PDA

View Full Version : Slowed down my system

Charlotte Goebel
2008-08-07, 22:54
I recently installed Spybot S&D 1.6.0, performed the initial scans, etc. Now my computer is so slow I can't stand it. While all software seems to operate slower, the internet is the worst. What info would you need to help determine what the problem is? Thanks.

DougCuk
2008-08-08, 00:53
I think you may be suffering the same problem as many other v1.6 users - see this thread - http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30943

I suggest you try a test to see if disabling the SDHelper/Resident IE module fixes your problem - if it does please report the result in the above thread.

You can disable the SDHelper (aka Resident IE Browser Helper Object) from several places.
1. Inside the Spybot program from the Advanced menu via Tools->Resident - SDHelper tickbox.
2. From the TeaTimer/SD Resident system tray icon - via the right click menu - open the Resident IE section and untick the "Use Resident in IE Sessions" option.
3. Inside IE use the Tools->Manage Addons menu and disable the Spybot-SD IE Protection item.

Reboot and check if the problem disappears - If it makes no difference turn it back on again.

aspergerian
2008-08-08, 01:11
SB 1.6.0.31 makes my computer much much slower and generates cartoon-like images with words every time the OS handles a "new" file. I needed to ;dismount a large HD and a flash drive, both times SB's cartoon overrode the "safe to dismount" cartoon. Is there a way to go back to the SP version prior to 1.6.0 My SB was working fine, but this newer version impairs my use of the computer. I prefer to continue with SB. Where can I download the prior version?

DougCuk
2008-08-08, 08:34
You describe seeing "cartoons" do you mean "balloons"?
You can disable the balloon notifications via the right click menu of the Spybot system tray icon (aka Spybot-SD Resident/TeaTimer icon) - just untick the "Show Info Balloons" option.

aspergerian
2008-08-08, 19:08
Doug offered: "You can disable the balloon notifications via the right click menu of the Spybot system tray icon (aka Spybot-SD Resident/TeaTimer icon) - just untick the "Show Info Balloons" option."

Thnx for the tip. Not having constant balloon interference will be welcomed. I'll watch the tray icon as I attempt better to sense whether my XP with 1.6.0.31 is dillydallying significantly. Has anyone with SB enacted time trials with previous version and without 1.6.0.31? Eg, in regard to computer use prompting a fairly high rate of maneuvers that the balloon kept reporting?