PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of scanner popups in v1.6?

robstitt
2008-08-08, 07:22
I just updated to Spybot 1.6 on our second computer still happily running 98SE and ran Immunization on the recommendation of the program. Am now unable to access any programs. Instead I get a small vertical pop-up that says a scanner is running for the selected program and then nothing or something about a registry change that I should accept or not. All scary stuff to me. I undid the immunization but no change. I'm all set to remove the program unless someone would kindly tell me how to get back to normality, that is being able to use the computer!
Thanks!
Robert

robstitt
2008-08-08, 07:27
I realize my first posting was more an expression of frustration rather than being useful to forum users. Here it is again in case no one looks at it...

I just updated to Spybot 1.6 on our second computer still happily running 98SE and ran Immunization on the recommendation of the program. Am now unable to access any programs. Instead I get a small vertical pop-up that says a scanner is running for the selected program and then nothing or something about a registry change that I should accept or not. All scary stuff to me. I undid the immunization but no change. I'm all set to remove the program unless someone would kindly tell me how to get back to normality, that is being able to use the computer!
Thanks!
Robert

Yodama
2008-08-08, 07:59
You can disable the Teatimer balloon tips by right clicking the resident tray icon (that is actually where the balloon tips are coming from) and uncheck "Show info balloons" by clicking it. This however will only disable the messages, Teatimer will still scan the loaded processes, this has nothing to do with Immunization.
Since you are running a Win98SE machine, I suppose that your system resources are very limited. In this case you should disable the Teatimer.
To do this follow these steps:

open Spybot S&D
switch to advanced mode
navigate to tools - resident
uncheck Resident "Teatimer"

Greyfox
2008-08-08, 08:48
robstitt,

There should be a Spybot Search and Destroy icon on your desktop. Click or double click on it to start the Spybot program. When the main screen opens, click on Mode near the top of the screen, click on Advanced Mode, then click Yes on the "warning" dialogue that opens.

You will now be in the Advanced mode. In the column on the left, click on Tools, then click on Resident. In the "Resident" screen that opens, there are two tick boxes. For the moment remove the ticks from both, the exit Spybot and for good measure reboot (the reboot is perhaps not necessary but I'd do it anyrate). This has disabled both the resident Teatimer, and the IE browser helper.

Now let's know whether this has overcome your initial problem.

Can you also then provide some details about your computer, particularly CPU type and Speed, memory size, hard drive size and present spare drive space. If you know where to look, can you indicate what the swap file settings are. It would also help to indicate what antivirus you are running, what firewall software and whether there is any other antispyware installed on the computer. Importantly are you using Internet Explorer or some other browser like Firefox.

With older slow computers, particularly when they have very limited memory, it may not be possible to run Teatimer without significant loss of performance or other problems. Answers to the above questions will help to get more tailored suggestions.

robstitt
2008-08-08, 18:10
Thank you both for the input.
Unchecking first Teatimer and then both Teatimer and the IE bowser helper did not stop the appearance of the Scanner window on trying to start a program (all after rebooting). The only change was that the icon disappeared from the system tray after unchecking Teatimer.
I'm guessing this has nothing to do with the computer which is a Pentium III running at 333MHz (not a misprint!) Using Norton AV, no firewall software but running off a router and have Adware SE installed but it's no longer supported. Could look up the rest of the items listed but I don't believe they are the issue at the moment.
I'm thinking that uninstalling v1.6 and reinstalling v1.4, which I still have in my download folder, might be the best way to go. What would I be giving up by running 1.4 on a regular basis on this old machine?
Thanks again for your help.
Robert

robstitt
2008-08-09, 00:33
After talking to my local computer vendor have decided to remove 1.6 and reinstall 1.4 on my old 98SE machine. One observation on the current 1.6 woes: the new version doesn't seem very friendly for the novice user who wants the protection but has no interest or ability in the more technical side. It's apparently not well-suited to older machines but how would one know ahead of all the grief?
Robert

robstitt
2008-08-09, 00:41
One more thought: I went to use Spybot 1.4 on my XP machine and the update process automatically started the upgrade to 1.6 sequence. This time, unlike on the 98SE machine, I spotted it and cancelled but I think it's too easy to inadvertently start the process. There needs to be more of a warning of the consequences of installing 1.6 instead of having it so tightly integrated into the update process.
Robert