PDA

View Full Version : How do I downgrade to Spybot 1.5?

6ixed
2008-08-08, 19:18
Hello, How do I downgrade back to Spybot 1.5? Specifically to Spybot 1.5.2, the last known version which was working perfectly awesome for me. Last night when I did an update, by checking for Updates using the Spybot tray icon..it upgraded me to Spybot 1.6. And simply speaking, my browsing using IE has become horribly slow. Every page I try to open takes a while to open, and my laptop goes into a frenzy..with the processor going overboard and the fans kicking in. Even opening the simple Google Home page causes the laptop to go all haywire. Never happened like that with the previous version of SPybot. I was much happy with the older version. Please, any help would be appreciated.
I just want to downgrade back to Spybot 1.5.2. Thanks.

6ixed
2008-08-08, 19:29
P.S. I just read some threads and comments and advices about disabling the SDHelper in IE which makes the slow browsing problems go away. But that soluton essentially leaves my pc vulnerable to attacks, because the Resident Helper in IE gets disabled. I'd rather downgrade to Spybot 1.5.2, and have protection, than keeping Spybot 1.6 and disabling the main component which helps protect me while I surf and browse the net.
I just need to find out a way to downgrade back to Spybot 1.5.2. Thanks in advance for any help provided. : )

sam999
2008-08-08, 19:38
hello everyone,
I am just a newbie here and could not find how to make a post in any other way. I am curious about how to decide if I need spybot and/or regedit? I think I tried a registry check type thing that was free and it says I do have alot of registry issues to clean up. Is this the solution for cleaning things up without a full re-install or not?

BTW---I have Windows XP Pro, my motherboard is about 2 yrs old, and new Seta 250gb drive at that time.

blues
2008-08-08, 20:00
sam999

Registry Cleaners, not recommended: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30038

i would not have been without an antispyware these days if i were you, so you can just install spybot if you want.

Curtdrew
2008-08-08, 20:12
Windows XP Pro on desktop with all kinds of available resources. Last night Spybot update wanted to install 1.6 so I let it. During install it crashed. Thereafter I uninstalled using the application on the Start>program.Spybot menu. I tried to reinstall but it found a folder already existed. I then used control panel to uninstall. Afterwards I had two icons left on the desktop - -one for Spybot 152.exe and one for 160.exe. I then reinstalled 1.6 and restarted computer. Windows desktop would open and then freeze. Had to go to Safe Mode and uninstall Spybot with Control Panel. Cannot get Spybot to load and run. Am using Norton Systemworks for Virus protection.

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-08, 20:29
6ixed:

I would rather try to help you iron out the problems that you are having with Spybot 1.6, but answer your query:

… I just need to find out a way to downgrade back to Spybot 1.5.2. Thanks in advance for any help provided. : )
There is a download for the installation file for Spybot 1.5.2 (spybotsd152.exe) still available on Spybot's sites. One of those URLs is:
http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/spybotsd152.exe

6ixed
2008-08-08, 21:08
6ixed:

I would rather try to help you iron out the problems that you are having with Spybot 1.6, but answer your query:

There is a download for the installation file for Spybot 1.5.2 (spybotsd152.exe) still available on Spybot's sites. One of those URLs is:
http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/spybotsd152.exe

md usa spybot fan
Spybot Advisor Team

Thanks for the link. And Thanks for the offer to help me out with easing out the problems with Spybot 1.6. I'd actually prefer try attempting that instead of downright downgrading to the previous stable version. And I will too, soon, but currently my time restraints won't really permit me. So I'd hold off doing that next week or so, when I've the time to go around doing it. In the meantime, I'd prefer to downgrade to Spybot 1.5.2, so I have atleast Spyware protection when I surf.

What additional information and help I'd kindly request from you is: How do I do the actual downgrade? Actually I still have the old Spybot 1.5.2.exe file sitting in one of my folders. Can I just double click on it and let the installation run its course, and it'd remove Spybot 1.6, and revert back to Spybot 1.5.2? Are there any additional steps required, like uninstalling Spybot 1.6, before I run the installation of Spybot 1.5.2? I prefer not to Uninstall, because there are System Startup settings I have modified using Spybot 1.5.2, and I am sure which has been integrated to Spybot 1.6 .... and I'm wondering, if I uninstall Spybot 1.6 to do an install of Spybot 1.5.2 .. I'd lose those informations and settings. Is there a safe way to save all those settings so far I've modified and initiated using Spybot 1.5.2, before totally uninstalling Spybot 1.6 to re-install Spybot 1.5.2? Or if I just install Spybot 1.5.2 on top of the current installation of Spybot 1.6, that will just do it?

I'd really appreciate any help, recommendations, suggestions and advices you can provide me on this. Thanks for everything in advance, and Oh Yeah! Spybot Rocks!

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-08, 21:09
To other posters in this thread besides 6ixed (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=17955):

sam999:

You seemed to have hijacked 6ixed (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=17955)'s thread with your post:

How to decide if Spybot is necessary?

Blues:

You responded to sam999 (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=45899)'s query apparently without even giving thought to the fact that 6ixed (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=17955) started the thread with a specific query that remained unanswered.

Curtdrew:

Please start you own thread by accessing the Spybot-S&D (http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=4) forum and click on New Thread (http://forums.spybot.info/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=4).

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-08, 22:17
6ixed:

I suggest that you uninstall Spybot (1.6) before reinstalling another version of Spybot (1.5.2). Your concern about "... I'd lose those informations and settings ..." are not normally affected by a Add/Remove Programs uninstall if the settings are in the .ini configuration files or other files that affect configuration or options within Spybot..

6ixed
2008-08-08, 23:11
@md usa spybot fan:
Spybot Advisor Team

Thanks a ton for all your help. I'll try your suggestion out, and see what happens. Yeah I was worried about the settings and configurations. Hopefully everything works out. Thanks again, 6ixed.

MikeMcD
2008-08-09, 06:46
6ixed:

I suggest that you uninstall Spybot (1.6) before reinstalling another version of Spybot (1.5.2). Your concern about "... I'd lose those informations and settings ..." are not normally affected by a Add/Remove Programs uninstall if the settings are in the .ini configuration files or other files that affect configuration or options within Spybot..

md, I have a follow up to your answer to 6ixed; I'm in the same boat with him, having upgraded to 1.6 automatically from 1.5.2. My add/remove shows two instances of spybot, Spybot - Search and Destroy 1.5.2.20 (19mb) and Spybot - Search and Destroy [no version numbers] (63mb).

1. Do i uninstall the bigger one? Is this v 1.6?
2. After I uninstall v1.6, will I have 1.5.2.20 back as it existed before the automatic upgrage to 1.6?
3. How do I keep getting normal file updates for v 1.5.2.20? Won't it try to do the automatic upgrade to 1.6 again?

Thanks very much.

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-09, 14:14
MikeMcD:

Two Add/Remove Program entries:

Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced mode » Tools » Uninstall Info. Select the two entries one at a time and delete the entry where:
The name of the entry does not contain a GLID "({B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1)".
--- or ---
The "uninstall cmd" does not point to the unins000.exe of where you installed the software.
If both entries have the GLID and point to the proper location, delete the one with the oldest "install date".

If you are not sure which entry to delete, right click on the listing and "Copy to clipboard". Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results to a new post in this thread editing out all entries except the two Spybot entries.

Use the remaining entry to uninstall Spybot 1.6.

When installing Spybot 1.5:

I suggest that you skip the updates during the installation and do them after the installation completes so that you will not download the Spybot 1.6 installation.
Execute the spybotsd152.exe installation program.
When you get to the "Select Components" screen during the installation, uncheck "Download updates immediately".
After the installation completes go into Spybot » Update to download updates.
When you get the list of updates uncheck the following item so that it is not downloaded:
Main update 1.6.0 - !Main application update (284 KB) - Date=2008-08-06
Then right click on that item and select "Add to exclude list".
Download all other updates.

MikeMcD
2008-08-09, 20:33
md, still confused;

Following is the clipboard from SB uninstall list (which were not sequential in the listing, apparently not alphabetized, I had to hunt around):

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2.20 (Spybot - Search & Destroy_is1)
install date: 20080206
uninstall cmd: "C:\WINDOWS\unins000.exe"
publisher: Safer Networking Ltd.
help link: http://www.safer-networking.org/

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.0 ({B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-
FE5A88D31DE6}_is1)
install date: 20080807
install location: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
uninstall cmd: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search &
Destroy\unins001.exe"
publisher: Safer Networking Limited
help link: http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?
page=support

The second entry with the GLID you refer to, has the newest install date, instead of the oldest install date, and the first entry uninstall cmd does not point to where I installed the software, all of which seems to contradict what you said. My head is spinning. Which one do I delete?

After I delete the correct one, you say to use the remaining entry to uninstall SB 1.6; do you mean I can uninstall from within the spybot uninstall window? Or uninstall from windows add/remove?

Just to understand, am I removing one of these entries (1.52?) so that, after I uninstall 1.6, I can then install 1.5 like a new/fresh install, so I can preserve the ability to select installation options?

No pain, no gain.

Thanks again, MD!!!

Anthony A
2008-08-10, 03:07
I let Spybot 1.5.2 update to 1.6.0 through the updater and it went perfect. I did not get two entries in the add/remove programs or start menu and looking through my files I see only the one Spybot folder.

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-10, 05:16
MikeMcD:

Delete the first one because:

The name of the entry does not contain a GLID "({B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1)".
and

The "uninstall cmd" does not point to the unins000.exe of where you installed the software.

After you have deleted the entry in Spybot » Mode » Advanced mode » Tools » Uninstall Info then go to Add/Remove Programs and use the remaining entry to uninstall Spybot.