View Full Version : (Resident?) Pop-ups driving me insane!

k.martin
2008-08-08, 21:09
Yesterday I updated to SB - S&D 1.6.0. Since then there are constant Spybot pop-ups from the taskbar that include a popping sound. It is driving me to distraction. I am ready to uninstall Spybot. I had to turn off the sound. I tried right clicking on on the taskbar & unchecking "Show info balloons" to no avail.

Please help before I do something stupid! (Also please note my limited tech abilities!)

Thank you!

2008-08-08, 21:36
You unchecked the option and it still does it? have you tried exiting out of teatimer and forcing it to reload again? Also this version of teatimer is a beta, so you must have installed it knowing it is a beta. In the updater if you select beta updates, then you could download this test version of teatimer. I suggest going back to the other version of teatimer that came with spybot 1.6

Thereon
2008-08-09, 09:53
Hi!

I also got the popping sound after installing the latest beta update (Version 1.6.0.30, System Settings Protector 1.6.1.22) albeit without pop-ups (Yes, show info balloons is selected). The only they to get rid of the sound is to shut down the Spybot S&D resident protection.

DougCuk
2008-08-09, 10:09
When I untick the "Show Info Balloons" it also turns off the sound-effects - so it shouldn't be necessary to disable SD Resident just to stop the popping sound. The first post in the thread implied this did not work - but as suggested it may have required a restart of SD Resident to apply the new setting and cancel the sound-effects.

Dave Milbourn
2008-08-09, 12:25
I'm with K Martin on this, except I can't even find the "Show Info balloons " button! All I did was allow the thing to download its latest incarnation - I neither know nor care about it in any greater depth.
I don't use sound very often so I have my speakers turned off most of the time, but PLEASE will some clever chap or chapess tell me what and where to click to stop these infernal balloons popping up all the time?

BigZMan
2008-08-09, 14:12
Version 1.6.0.31
I too have this problem
I have the System Notification wav file playing about every 15-30 seconds, with no ballons. I am unable to find the on\off check for the ballons.

edee_em
2008-08-09, 16:12
That info balloon pop-up is a nuisance! What does it do? I click on it and it doesn't display a thing nor provide options. Puzzling. Is it's purpose to show me that Spybot is running?

Thanks

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-09, 16:37
edee_em:

People were complaining about the amount of CPU time TeaTimer was taking when it started. One of the proposed solutions was to add the display so that people would know that it just was not just in a loop and was scanning the processes running in the system. See:
TeaTimer CPU load after startup thoughts
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30994

BigZMan
2008-08-09, 17:19
I have gone back through the thread and have some additonal for all

I was prompted to install 1.60 during an update to 1.5.2, with out selecting betas. I got version 1.6.0.31 of spybot (Main Spyboot page=> Help\About)

For Teatimer
Right Click on the system tray icon=> About Teatimer
Spybot S&D 1.6.0.30
System settings Protector 1.6.1.22

To get to the check for the "Show info Ballons" one must right click on the Resident icon in the system tray. This is not a Windows Task Bar function. I do not get ballons with it on or off.

Disabling Teattimer from within Spybot removes the pops.
Tools\Resident=> uncheck Teatimer
I closed spybot, rebooted, and renabled Teatimer.

I recieved a single pop on system startup, but think this was there before (though would like to know why??)

I recieved another single pop when I renabled Teatimer, but no subsequent popping.

However when I reboot again (teatimer is running) the "pop" problem returns. I have gone through this with pop-up on and off, and it seems to make no difference. I still get NO popups, and wondering if something else is supressing the popups.

I am unclear on the relationship between the feature "Resident Protection" in the system tray's icon right click menu, and that of the S&B Tools\Resident Menu check boxes. I expected the system tray icon to disable resident functionality in the Tools menu, but does not appear to do so (or anything??)

I have also read the previous posts link, but this is above me.:hair::hair:

Windows XP SP2 with most additional Critical updates

I think I am going to "POP"

Jasonite
2008-08-09, 18:23
I just applied the update as well. No mention of Beta during the process.

I am getting CONSTANT popups/bubbles talking about which process it is scanning, and selecting the Show Info Balloons (or de-selecting it) has no effect.

Help!

Windows Vista completely up to date.

Jasonite
2008-08-09, 18:55
Update... after 10 minutes of constant messages that it was scanning active files, it just stopped.

Not a bother now, but a big bother while it was going on.
J

edee_em
2008-08-11, 04:42
Thanks for the reply spybot fan, and thanks for listening to the users, but there are many of us who prefer not to have the balloons. Don't know what the split would be but judging by some of the messages on the forum I would suggest most don't want it. Also, there are many processes running that don't have those info balloons to remind us that they are running.

To the others in the know, are teatimer and sd resident the same thing? I see sd resident in the taskbar with no mention of teatimer but I remember having the option of installing one, both or neither.

Thanks

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-11, 06:23
edee_em:

... there are many of us who prefer not to have the balloons. ...
I sure that is exactly why the facility to turn them off was added at the same time process scan balloons were added.

... To the others in the know, are teatimer and sd resident the same thing?...
Using the term "sd resident" is somewhat ambiguous because there are actually two "resident" facilities associated with Spybot:
Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker).
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings).

Greyfox
2008-08-11, 06:42
...but there are many of us who prefer not to have the balloons. Don't know what the split would be but judging by some of the messages on the forum I would suggest most don't want it.

I disagree. As one who was doubtful about the balloons when first proposed back before the beta was released, I have to admit that I came to like the option. I don't have it on all the time, but it is quite handy to be able to see what new processes are actually commencing, and also it enables one to guage the effect of the registry patches to opt for speed at expense of memory, and vice versa on their particular platform.

It is almost always misleading to judge who likes a feature by posts in a forum. It is a fact of life (ask any polling company) that those who dislike something will always be the most vocal, and those who are happy with it generally don't bother to say so.

My own view is that the Teatimer we now have does well in meeting the goals identified in the beta discussion, and since the on/off control via the right click menu has worked as it was intended to for the majority of users, is a good compromise for all.

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-11, 07:28
Greyfox:

... I have to admit that I came to like the option. I don't have it on all the time, but it is quite handy to be able to see what new processes are actually commencing, ...
I agree with you. I only find the balloons somewhat annoying on the first startup of TeaTimer after a Spybot update when the scan process is elongated because TeaTimer is rebuilding the ProcCache.sbc reference file that speeds up subsequent scans.

To overcome that problem, after an update I have started un-ticking "Show info balloons". I then do a "Exit Spybot-S&D Resident" and restart TeaTimer. After the initial scan is done, I tick "Show info balloons" again. Using that strategy I am not faced with a long period of constant balloons when I boot my system for the first time after an update.

pwillener
2008-08-11, 08:53
Several friends who got upgraded to 1.6 over the weekend called me to complain about the new pop-up balloons.

I do not usually run Teatimer, so I didn't notice it myself. So I activated Teatimer on my system, and the pop-up balloons started. Then I found this thread, unchecked "Show info balloons", and the pop-ups immediately stopped.

I have passed the solution on to my friends.:bigthumb:

Yffffonz
2008-08-11, 10:31
quick question about the pop-up notifications...are they displayed for a set period of time? i ask because the notifications pop up and clicking on them does not cancel the balloon. after clicking a bunch of times they will eventually disappear. should mention v1.6 win2KSP4. thanks

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-11, 10:51
Yffffonz:

On my system the balloons from TeaTimer disappear as soon as I click on them just like balloons from any process.

vyenpakakapaka
2008-12-06, 23:14
I'm having a problem that I think is only half Spybot's fault.

Whatever's gotten onto my system keeps trying to add the following two entries to my registry - I know this isn't the "fix my spyware" thread, but maybe someone will know what's what if I post it.

12/6/2008 5:09:27 PM Denied (based on user blacklist) value "jorimadihu" (new data: "Rundll32.exe "C:\WINDOWS\system32\makezimu.dll",s") added in System Startup global entry!
12/6/2008 5:09:27 PM Denied (based on user blacklist) value "CPMaf5c1bf1" (new data: "Rundll32.exe "c:\windows\system32\kevinoji.dll",a") added in System Startup global entry!

The problem is...it tries to add one of those two every. two. seconds. Despite unchecking the 'show pop-up balloons' option on Spybot's System Tray icon, they pop up every. two. seconds.

Whatever's causing it, I don't mind Spybot blocking the add every few seconds -- I'll get it cleaned off at some point (Spybot hasn't found it yet), or I'll figure out it's some program I actually -do- want running. But the pop-ups every two seconds are really nervewracking =\
Ver. 1.6.0.30, System Settings Protector 1.6.1.22. Reading the thread hasn't shown what to do if turning the option off doesn't actually turn the feature off. Did I miss somethin'? =P

drragostea
2008-12-07, 02:12
It seems you have ticked "Remember my Decision" so that is why it is saying "based on userblacklist". In normal situations where the user accidentally ticked "Remember my Decision" by accident, you can always undo it. And in your situation you can undo it too, but I would suggest you that keep it that way. I'm saying this because I'm suspecting that there might be a malware infection because you don't usually get prompts of "rundll32.exe" changing. And .dll (makezimu.dll) sounds to me like it was randomly generated (that's what malware do, generate random files).

Can you run a full Spybot scan in Safe Mode (boot by F8) and see what it detects.