PDA

View Full Version : Scan in 1.6

tiger2
2008-08-08, 23:54
Uninstalled previous version of S&D and installed S&D 1.6. I ran a scan and it reported "no problems."
The scan took 10 minutes, which surprised me. My other scans usually take much longer.
Is 10 minutes considered "normal" for a scan in S&D 1.6?

Thank you.

Zenobia
2008-08-09, 00:02
Yes,I'd say mine takes about ten minutes.
Just to check,though,you could open Spybot,click mode->advanced mode->settings,file sets and look at the window to the right.Is everything checked under the integrated search for spybots section?

alicez
2008-08-09, 00:20
Yes,I'd say mine takes about ten minutes.
Just to check,though,you could open Spybot,click mode->advanced mode->settings,file sets and look at the window to the right.Is everything checked under the integrated search for spybots section?

Thanks. I went to Settings and then I clicked on "File Sets" in left column and then in right side of screen I see "Set/Filename" "Description" and "Checks."
First category is "Spybot - Search & Destroy" and it is checked.
Under that there are 24 files, the first one being "Adware.sbi" and last one is "TrojansC.sbi." All are checked.
The second category is "Usage Tracking" which is NOT checked, and under that there is one file "Tracks.uti" which is NOT checked.

#1- But, I do not see a "Integrated Search...." mentioned in your last sentence.
#2- Am I set-up okay?
#3- Should I check those last two boxes?
#4- We also have an old Vaio notebook (Win98) and it still has S&D 1.5 on it and the S&D scan on that notebook takes much longer. Is that because of the age of the notebook and the S&D 1.5?

wyrmrider
2008-08-09, 00:25
notebook hard drives are not as fast as desktop
however 1.6 is faster than 1.5
how much memory on the laptop? which CPU?
spybot works fine with W98
1.6 may take more ram than 1.5- but it does more

Zenobia
2008-08-09, 04:37
Yup,you're set up okay.The integrated search for spybots is just the description for the Spybot-Search & Destroy.So long as the Spybot Search & Destroy category,with the 24 files underneath are checkmarked,you're good.

The usage tracks are optional,and are at your discretion,so do not need to be checkmarked:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/dictionary/usagetracks.html

however 1.6 is faster than 1.5
Yes,Spybot 1.6 is faster,so that's probably why the scan only takes 10 minutes. :)

And how is tiger2 doing,or are you alicez under a different account?

alicez
2008-08-09, 17:19
Yup,you're set up okay.The integrated search for spybots is just the description for the Spybot-Search & Destroy.So long as the Spybot Search & Destroy category,with the 24 files underneath are checkmarked,you're good.

The usage tracks are optional,and are at your discretion,so do not need to be checkmarked:

Yes,Spybot 1.6 is faster,so that's probably why the scan only takes 10 minutes. :)

And how is tiger2 doing,or are you alicez under a different account?

Thank you very much. Tiger2/Alicez = husband and wife. Sorry about using different sign-in name.

Does Spybot detect malware?

Zenobia
2008-08-09, 19:16
You're welcome.
No problem,I figured it was still you,but I wanted to be sure,so that I knew your question had been answered. :)

Yes,Spybot detects malware.It's more geared to detect spyware and trojans than viruses.Though,the lines have crossed over the years,so malware is almost an umbrella term for anything malicious.
http://www.google.ca/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&q=define%3Amalware&meta=

tiger2
2008-08-13, 00:21
Hope I can add this add-on to this thread.
I uninstalled S&D 150 from our neighbor's (old) Sony Vaio notebook with Win98. She said she wanted to use S&D 160. I installed the 16030.

However, when I look in the Settings/File Sets/ I only see two items mentioned (not like the 24 mentioned above found when I installed on my Vista). They are:
Spybot - Search & Destroy (Integrated Search for spybots) IS CHECKED
Revision.sbi (Stuff removed for revision) IS CHECKED

Usage Tracking (Integrated search for usage tracks) IS NOT CHECKED.

Does this appear to be OKAY?

Thank you...
Alice

drragostea
2008-08-13, 00:31
Hello Alice.

Yes, you are fine. I have the same exact settings on my Spybot (1.6.0.30).

Trackage (has been mentioned in the past) is:
--
More like cookies and MRU's you can say.

You're fine.

alicez
2008-08-13, 00:44
Hello Alice.

Yes, you are fine. I have the same exact settings on my Spybot (1.6.0.30).

Trackage (has been mentioned in the past) is:
--
More like cookies and MRU's you can say.

You're fine.

Thanks. You have 160 on Win98 also?

There were some questions asked when I was installing (all in one window) and I unchecked them all. I hope I did right. I remember one of them said something about a plug-in for Explorer (I believe that was it).

drragostea
2008-08-13, 01:15
No, I do not use a Windows 98, however, I have worked with a Windows ME OS.

You shouldn't worry about the questions, because it gives you some optional "add-ons" you can make before the installation completes.

Usually this would be adding a desktop icon, Quick Launch icon, Search for Updates immediately, or enabled the SDHelper or TeaTimer Resident Shield.

alicez
2008-08-13, 01:20
Thanks.
I am running a scan on her computer (Win98) now with the newly installed S&D 160 and I notice it already is showing an item (which didn't show, I don't believe in the previous version 152), which is:
Alexa Related (SBI $9263101f)Lini
C:\Windows\Web\RELATED.HTM

Do you know what that might be and how to correct?

(I know she allows her grandchildren to play around with the Win98 and love to use Google in !E6. I hope they didn't damage it.)

drragostea
2008-08-13, 01:32
It actually depends on how you see it... Some programs classify (like Spybot-SD) Alexa as "adware". Your best bet is to remove it, if:
You do not know what it is and how it got into the computer.
You have it installed and do not need it anymore.

My guess would be Choice A for you...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexa_Internet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexa_Toolbar
--
It's up to you. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

alicez
2008-08-13, 01:42
In the right column it states: 1 entries - Spyware

The scan is still running (very slow on Win98. My Vista took 10 minutes).

How would it be deleted?

(Still a bit surprised it wasn't picked up with the S&D 152. I looked at the "Related.htm" in Windows/Web and it is dated 4/2/07)).

drragostea
2008-08-13, 04:09
The scan is still running (very slow on Win98. My Vista took 10 minutes).

How would it be deleted?

Yes, the scan will be slow, because your Windows 98 OS does not have the rock solid resources (in terms of processing speed and RAM) compared to your Windows Vista. As an anecdote, I've ran a Spybot-SD scan on a Windows ME and it did take some time.

And for you 'how would it be deleted' question...
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=32173
--

Zenobia
2008-08-13, 05:43
Once you're done running the scan,could you shut down Spybot and reopen it,then go to Mode->Advanced Mode->Settings->File Sets.Are the 24 entries below Spybot - Search & Destroy (Integrated Search for spybots) listed there now?

alicez
2008-08-13, 16:04
And for you 'how would it be deleted' question...
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=32173
--

Thanks.
Couldn't find anything about "Delete" on that thread. Maybe it's just me.
I looked at the top of the screen (on the Win98) in the S&D and saw something like (I'm not at Win98 now) "Fix Problem" and clicked on that and it seemed to have removed that Alexa related item.

alicez
2008-08-13, 16:11
Once you're done running the scan,could you shut down Spybot and reopen it,then go to Mode->Advanced Mode->Settings->File Sets.Are the 24 entries below Spybot - Search & Destroy (Integrated Search for spybots) listed there now?

Thanks.
I counted the items and there are 23 (Win98). Went back to the Vista and counted again and there are also 23. I must have miscounted previously.

As I said previously above, I unchecked all those boxes in the set-up which asked things like "All languages; Explorer plug-in; icons for starting blind user mode (I think that was it); etc." The only one that was checked was "Main Files" (I believe that was the name.)
I didn't think my neighbor needed any of them on her Win98 relic.

Alice

P.S. Now she will have to get a new Virus protector. Was using AVG-AV 7.5 and they should discountue updates on Aug. 31, 2008. Maybe Avast, I guess? She asks me for help and I don't know much more than she does!

drragostea
2008-08-13, 20:50
I apologize alicez for not making it clear.

In my perspective, I would tell you that the general idea of how Spybot-SD removes them (like any other anti-spyware program) will be removing the file directly. Spybot-SD creates a backup of the entry (file or registry key) that has been deleted in case something goes wrong, so the user can undo the whole operation.
--
:sad: INMO, choosing a decent anti-virus program (while not having such a burden on computer resources) can be a difficult decision, as there are variables that determine if the system is going to run smoothly after the installation as it was before the installation.

Personally, you can choose avast! anti-virus as it does support Windows 98. AVG 7.5 will be discontinued and v.8.0 does not support legacy systems. In addition Avira Antivir does not support Windows 98.

Zenobia
2008-08-14, 04:29
Thanks.
I counted the items and there are 23 (Win98). Went back to the Vista and counted again and there are also 23. I must have miscounted previously.
Okay,thanks for letting me know.23 should be okay.Just wanted to check. :)