PDA

View Full Version : tea timer

m3a7t9
2008-08-09, 14:23
hi, can anyone tell me how to get rid of Tea Timer. A few weeks ago I uninstalled an old Spy Bot and installed the latest. Don't ask me how, but Tea Timer was left from the old version, and I could not see how to get rid of it. I downloaded the new version, and went in to Advanced and asked for the resident shield not to run. But the "old" tea timer is still there, and each time I switch on my computer the cpu zooms down to 0% with TT using mostly 99%. I then can't do anything for ages until the cpu gets back to 100% idle. Does anyone have an idea which of the numerous sub folders in the main spybot folder contains this version of Tea Timer, and how I can stop it from running when the computer starts. (I feel if I uninstall and reinstall spybot again it won't get rid of tea timer if it belongs to the "old" version I got rid of). Thanks for any advice.

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-09, 16:44
m3a7t9:

Suggestion:

Make sure that TeaTimer is not running by checking for the TeaTimer System Tray Icon. If the icon is there:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click "Exit Spybot-S&D Resident". TeaTimer should close.

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > System Startup.
Locate the following entry:
HK_CU:Run - SpybotSD TeaTimer - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
Highlight the entry (left click).
On the top of the panel click the "Delete" button.
When you get the following Confirmation dialog answer "Yes":
Confirmation
You are about to remove these entries. Do you want to continue?
Yes No

Exit Spybot.

m3a7t9
2008-08-10, 11:51
md, thanks very much for your advice. I have followed this and, not having "poked around" in the spybot settings before had no idea the area existed. Anyway, I deleted the only entry I saw re teatimer. Hopefully this will solve the issue. Would you say it is ok to delete something else there - I keep getting pop-ups from Dell Support about downloading a new version of the support program, but I don't actually want to download this. I just want to get rid of the constant reminder every time I switch on, and while searching for the tea timer entry saw two for dell support. Once again many thanks for giving your time to the forum.

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-10, 15:39
m3a7t9:

I suggest that you just uncheck the entries rather than delete them. Unchecking them will inactivate them and give you the opportunity to make sure that there is no adverse affects before deleting them at a future time.

m3a7t9
2008-08-11, 12:14
md, thanks again for your advice - wise words. Have a good week.