PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Clicking

SaturdayatNine
2008-08-10, 01:33
Hi All

I installed the 1.6 version yesterday and now I am getting this sound coming from my speakers every 10-15 seconds or so

I tried turning off the "Show Info Balloons" - but that made no difference
I also unchecked the "Play alerts on these occassions" - but that made no difference

Is there a Sound setting somewhere that I can turn off ??

Version 1.6.0.31

Greyfox
2008-08-10, 02:23
SaturdayatNine,

Normally unticking "show info balloons" in the right click menu from the Teatimer or resident icon in the task bar will stop the process scan information balloons from appearing and thus also the accompanied sound.

Two questions, have you rebooted since removing the tick, and are the process scan balloons still appearing. If you still have the problem, you need to also specify what operating system you are using.

Note that the balloons referred to are process scan information balloons. Removing the tick doesn't stop other balloons like confirmation of Allow/deny decisions, or balloons from other programs.

As Teatimer scans processes it "remembers" the ones it has done so it doesn't keep doing the same ones again and again, so over a period of time the number of balloons get less and less, however this is reset each time an update is done.

SaturdayatNine
2008-08-10, 03:08
SaturdayatNine,

Normally unticking "show info balloons" in the right click menu from the Teatimer or resident icon in the task bar will stop the process scan information balloons from appearing and thus also the accompanied sound.

Two questions, have you rebooted since removing the tick, and are the process scan balloons still appearing. If you still have the problem, you need to also specify what operating system you are using.

Note that the balloons referred to are process scan information balloons. Removing the tick doesn't stop other balloons like confirmation of Allow/deny decisions, or balloons from other programs.

As Teatimer scans processes it "remembers" the ones it has done so it doesn't keep doing the same ones again and again, so over a period of time the number of balloons get less and less, however this is reset each time an update is done.

Thanks for your reply

The clicking sound stopped after about an hour - I am not sure why ?
I re-booted as you suggested and it the clicking seems to have disappeared, so hopefully it will remain that way

Why did the clicking start with the new version ?
I have never noticed it in the past

Thanks again

Greyfox
2008-08-10, 07:42
SaturdayatNine,

Why did the clicking start with the new version ?
I have never noticed it in the past

Because Teatimer has been restructured. If you want to lean about it, please read through the following thread

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30994

SaturdayatNine
2008-08-17, 03:05
Because Teatimer has been restructured. If you want to lean about it, please read through the following thread

OK - Thanks for that

A bit of feedback on my situation:

Last Sunday the clicking sound stopped after about an hour and did not return at all during the week :)
Last night I updated the definition files (Search for Updates) and then did a full scan (Check for Problems) - All OK
This morning I started the computer and the clicking sound is back again even though I have "Show info Balloons" turned off :sad:

I also have "EnableBalloonTips" disabled (0x00000000) in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Advanced
I noticed that someone mentioned this in another discussion thread

I think it would be useful if the clicking sound can be totally disabled somehow, it is very irritating

Greyfox
2008-08-17, 06:11
Last Sunday the clicking sound stopped after about an hour and did not return at all during the week :)
Last night I updated the definition files (Search for Updates) and then did a full scan (Check for Problems) - All OK
This morning I started the computer and the clicking sound is back again even though I have "Show info Balloons" turned off

Each time SpybotSD is updated, the "cache" (for want of a better word) of processes that have been scanned by Teatimer is cleared, so if you had the info balloons activated, they would again appear whilst the cache was being rebuilt and then gradually as before reduce.

The clicking sound (as you put it), is part and parcel of the Windows Balloon function. In XP every balloon generates this sound, not just those balloons used by Spybot.

You haven't said what operating system you are using. With XP the majority of us have found that the right click menu "Use info balloons" works correctly, in that it toggles the Teatimer scanning info balloons and the associated sound on and off. It by design does not stop Teatimer notification balloons. It seem to me that some other operating systems may not be handling the balloon function in the same way (perhaps another MS Windows abberation?). All my PC's are XP, and not having the problem myself I don't know whether the continued sound some get when balloons are turned off is an operating system problem, or whether particular sound card drivers may also play a part.

Edit: For the time being, if you find it too annoying, one option is to turn off Teatimer altogether at the expense of loosing some protection. Depends on what value you place on Teatimer. Your Choice.

SaturdayatNine
2008-08-17, 06:39
Each time SpybotSD is updated, the "cache" (for want of a better word) of processes that have been scanned by Teatimer is cleared, so if you had the info balloons activated, they would again appear whilst the cache was being rebuilt and then gradually as before reduce.

I did have info balloons turned off, ie "Show info balloons" is NOT ticked

You haven't said what operating system you are using. With XP the majority of us have found that the right click menu "Use info balloons" works correctly, in that it toggles the Teatimer scanning info balloons and the associated sound on and off. It by design does not stop Teatimer notification balloons. It seem to me that some other operating systems may not be handling the balloon function in the same way (perhaps another MS Windows abberation?). All my PC's are XP, and not having the problem myself I don't know whether the continued sound some get when balloons are turned off is an operating system problem, or whether particular sound card drivers may also play a part.

I am using Windows XP Media Center Edition SP2 with all Windows Updates installed
As I indicated in the last post I have "EnableBalloonTips" switched off in the registry and I have "Show info balloons" switched off (unticked) in SpybotSD

I have never had the balloons appear on the screen, but I do get the clicking sound (which you suggest is associated with the balloons)
This morning the clicking persisted for over 2 hours
It didnt stop clicking until I re-booted, even though I had "Show info balloons" switched off (unticked) in SpybotSD all the time

Any help appreciated on stopping the clicking
Will this be addressed in future versions of SpybotSD ?

Thanks again for your help

Greyfox
2008-08-17, 08:49
SaturdayatNine,

This may be a possible work around for you.

In XP systems, the sound used for the balloons is Windows XP Balloon.wav.

This is normally found at C:\Windows\media\Windows XP Balloon.wav.
If you rename that file to xWindows XP Balloon.wav, then with the balloons appearing, there is no longer any sound. Tried it on 3 of my XP computers and it worked OK.

I appreciate you have done the registry hack to disable ALL ballons (which I hope you realise will prevent balloon messages from other programs and the operating system from being displayed), but since the associated sound in your case didn't stop, perhaps the underlying process is still active, and so the above workaround would be worth a try.

SaturdayatNine
2008-08-17, 09:22
In XP systems, the sound used for the balloons is Windows XP Balloon.wav.
This is normally found at C:\Windows\media\Windows XP Balloon.wav.
If you rename that file to xWindows XP Balloon.wav, then with the balloons appearing, there is no longer any sound. Tried it on 3 of my XP computers and it worked OK.

OK - Thanks
I will give that a try

SaturdayatNine
2008-08-31, 00:52
Just to follow up:

Renaming the wave file solved my problem
A bit of a hack solution, but it works OK

Thanks for all your help