PDA

View Full Version : Now have 2 spybot icons after downloading updates

mandrakeman45
2008-08-10, 04:33
I have Win. XP Home Ed. S.P. 3 on my computer and Spybot installed as well. When I downloaded the newest updates, it downloaded the new 1.6 version, but now I have 2 Spybot icons on my desktop. Should this be right? It also keeps informing me, that it is scanning a lot! please let me know. Thanks.:oops:

2008-08-10, 04:53
Well, it is recommended that the user removes any version of spybot prior to upgrading to the latest version to avoid any issues.

The best thing to do, would be to remove spybot, following all directions here: http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

Then restart after following all the directions on that page, then install the latest spybot. That should solve any issues you have. And spybot telling you it is scanning alot is the latest teatimer version. Which is a beta version. meaning pre release, so I recommend when you update spybot in the future, make sure show beta updates is unchecked.

Also see this thread: http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=221400&postcount=3

rubybear
2008-08-12, 01:41
When I recently downloaded Spybot 1.6.0.31, I also ended up with 2 icons on my desktop. No, they are not two versions of Spybot (the new version writes over the previous version, at least that’s what it did on my computer). The old icon is a shortcut that starts the Spybot program. The new icon put there is actually an executable. If I double click on that, it starts going into the Spybot installation wizard, and all the windows to follow, as if it’s installing the program again. In order to avoid accidentally clicking on that icon every time I want to start Spybot, I moved the icon to a Downloads folder in my documents. This is definitely something that should not have been placed on my desktop, and I hope in future updates, Spybot fixes this glitch.

Oh, and for those who say we shouldn’t download the new version of Spybot until we’re ready, and should go to the website to download it, I had no idea that I was downloading a whole new version when I did my usual Wednesday update. It wasn’t until after the update completed that suddenly the Spybot Wizard appeared, and I figured I had to follow the instructions then and there.

If I had known about all the glitches in the new version by being given the opportunity to read these forums first, I wouldn’t have downloaded it. I will post on another thread about my Spybot 1.6 woes.

drragostea
2008-08-12, 01:52
I can agree with that. There were some times when users accidentally clicked on the identical Spybot-SD icon, but instead it was actually the installer (.exe). However, there is one thing that is clear though. The actual Spybot program icon says "Spybot - Search & Destroy". The .exe file will say something like "spybotsd16".

Ruby, if you have any other questions or Spybot "woes" I would be glad to answer it, if you will start a new thread in the forums.

rubybear
2008-08-12, 02:10
Yeah, drragostea, you're right about the "spybotsd160.exe". Hadn't noticed that before. However, the icon looks exactly the same, so it's easy to accidentally click on that one. Funny, I never got a second icon with any of the other program updates.

rubybear
2008-08-12, 02:14
Oops, didn’t see your last sentence.

I did make a post to this thread: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=222328&posted=1#post222328