PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.6 more unstable?

Someone
2008-08-10, 11:18
Hello all.

I've been using Spybot 1.5.2 for a month or so now, and it worked excellently.

But when I installed 1.6.0 on my computer, I've noticed it's become more unstable and resource-intensive. About half the time when I try to shut down, it can't because "TeaTimer.exe" is still running. Usually, it also presents error boxes that have a blank title, and displays information about about access violations. The same process seems to use approximately 50% CPU right from startup unless I terminate the process. Taken into account with other programs, this often leads to full CPU usage.
When a system registry values changes and I opt to deny the change, it asks the same thing again a second later, and again, and again... I understand a program may simply just attempt to rewrite a key if denied, but if I disable it using Windows Defender, it stays that way.
Lastly, the Search for Updates program also occasionally stops responding.

I am using Windows Vista. The only other AS/AV program on my computer is Sophos AV. Spybot is a great program, so any help fixing these issues would be much appreciated!

2008-08-10, 20:06
Did you first uninstall spybot and then install the latest version? It clears alot of issues that people may experience when upgrading to a new version without removing the old spybot first. If not, do the following directions found here (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=221400&postcount=3).

Those directions are for 1.4 to 1.6 but it does not matter. it is the same directions no matter what version. :)

Remove spybot completely, restart and download and install the latest version again. Also, there is a beta teatimer that is set to fix the high cpu usage problem. See here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30994

drragostea
2008-08-10, 20:13
I believe downloading the beta version of TeaTimer will resolve the issue.

And to be honest, I thought a lot about this post:http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=221444&postcount=74
--

Someone
2008-08-12, 06:29
Thanks for your help!

129260, I did uninstall Spybot with Control Panel before installing the newer version. But I didn't do any of the other things. I tried uninstalling & reinstalling anyway following the instructions, and it seems to be running much better now (no lockups). But very high CPU usage for a while after startup is still a problem.
Where do I put the new TeaTimer beta file though? An old file didn't seem to be in the Spybot install directory, and I even got Windows to search the entire computer and it couldn't find it.

drragostea, I'm not sure about the link. The post certainly makes some good points. Did I miss something? My issue was with CPU usage, not memory. The computer in question has a 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo processor and 2GB RAM. Probably should have mentioned that before. Sorry.

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-12, 06:37
Someone:

... Where do I put the new TeaTimer beta file though? ...
It goes in the following directory:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

... An old file didn't seem to be in the Spybot install directory, and I even got Windows to search the entire computer and it couldn't find it. ...
Starting with Spybot 1.5.2 some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
Uncheck the following option:
Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
The files should now be displayed
Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.

Someone
2008-08-12, 08:57
Thank you all once again!