PDA

View Full Version : Freezes up, won't repair

bigb1026
2008-08-10, 12:30
Good morning, new forum member here. Windows XP user.

Having problem with Spybot 1.6.0 which I upgraded to in hopes of solving the problem I was experiencing with the previous version, which it didn't.

The problem is: Spybot scans my system and appears to find 'problems' just fine. But when I try to enter 'fix' mode, it just freezes up--the hourglass appears forever until at long last the 'not responding' error message appears, at which point I x off without fixing the problems found.

Any suggestions, ideas, or fixes for this problem. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

BG
Boynton Beach, FL

Greyfox
2008-08-10, 12:50
bigb1026,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please do another scan. When it is finished and before trying to fix anything Right click in the white area of the screen where the items to be fixed are shown, then click on "Copy Results to clipboard", then past the results into a post back here. That way we can see what it is listing to be fixed.

It would also help if you could state what Antivirus software you have and whether there is any other antispyware installed on your computer.

In the meantime, can you also do the following.

(a) Go into Spybot, set to Advanced mode then click on Settings/Settings. Scroll down through the various options until you find the System Start group and put a tick in the item run program once at next system startup. After rebooting the computer Spybot will open before much of the other software that is normally present. Try a scan/fix and advise whether the problem took place.

(b) If it still occurred, try to run a scan/fix in Windows safe mode.

(c) Carry out a full virus scan with your antivirus program and advise whether it found anything that shouldn't have been there.

bigb1026
2008-08-11, 22:43
Thank you for your reply. I tried what you suggested in the setup menu.
Then I attempted a scan. Unfortunately this time it froze about halfway thorugh the scan before finding anything, so I didn't have the opportunity to cut and paste anything. I am using Avast virus protection as of last Saturay, prior to that AVG free--Spybot was freezing up with both. No other spyware is installed which is the problem--I have no protection. I'll try the safe mode suggestion tomorrow, don't have time today. In any event, I don't think that would be a convenient solution I'd want to utillize regularly---there HAS to be a problem somewhere. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

drragostea
2008-08-12, 00:34
I am using Avast virus protection as of last Saturay, prior to that AVG free--Spybot was freezing up with both.

I can't be sure if this might resolve the problem... however running two or more anti-virus programs will decrease protection efficiency and will cause conflicts. This does not apply to anti-spyware programs though, unless you are using all of their Resident Shields and not using it as a on-demand scanner.

bigb1026
2008-08-14, 14:43
Still experiencing the same problem, Spynot now useless, haven't scanned in more than two weeks, goodness only knows what malstuff resides on my drive now.

Anyway, sorry I wasn't clear about the anti-virus issue. There is no conflict about using more than one program. I USED to use AVG free, but that is completely uninstalled and I now have Avast, which appears to be working well.

Now, if I could only get the Spybot to work again. I notice lots of people seem to be having a similar issue to mine. Has anybody found a fix that works yet? Would love to get some help.

BG