PDA

View Full Version : Teatimer now disallow user choice

SilkDoNadear
2008-08-11, 18:14
Hello everyone,

It's yet another topic on the Teatimer. I just installed the full release 1.6.0 of spybot, and noticed changes in the Teatimer.

I don't have issues with the balloons, I decided to disable them after noticing that the info provided was (most of the time) not relevant enough to warrant so many interruptions. Helpful features that can be disabled or enabled by the user are good; I'm not posting about that.

What I would like to have in Spybot's next version, is a possibility for the user to switch to the old Teatimer's pop up window that allows a better control on what occurs on our system as stated here:

Easier On-Access Use

Until now, our on-access part was able to block bad entries, but at the same time, confused many novice users by asking for confirmation on changes of other monitored system entries as well. While this is a great feature for all experienced users who want full control over their systems, we decided that we need to make this easier for the average user, and integrated automated decisions based on the system entry database built through our RunAlyzer, containing more than quarter of a million decisions.

source: http://www.spybot.com/en/versionhistory/42.html

I fully understand the reasons for the new system.
But I'm thinking it would be very appreciated by the more advanced users that the Teatimer gives the option to switch back to the old system.
Another argument is that it seems to me that because of the big database required for the new system, the Teatimer now takes about 45Mo in memory instead of 17Mo before.

The possibility to switch on the pop up mode would be great. Eventually keep the database and use it to give a note like "Teatimer suggests that you [allow/deny] this registry change because [___]", but give the final choice to the user if he turned on that feature.

No?

2008-08-11, 20:38
in this beta teatimer forum: there is a beta teatimer set to fix the memory issue.
try it out! :)
found here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30994

SilkDoNadear
2008-08-13, 19:25
But I already saw that thread, it talks about CPU load right after start up, the load I'm talking about is a memory one and it stays constant during the whole windows session. It could be due to the addition of a database to the new Teatimer but I don't know, and the higher memory useage is not the main issue ^^

So what about that old pop up system as described in the first post? Can it be restored through a manual registry tweak? And if not, could it be considered for the next version of the Teatimer?

Edit: Oh right, in the end of the thread you linked, the discussion slips to memory use. But it's not the main issue anyway :)

SilkDoNadear
2008-08-13, 19:52
I'd need to link a thread in that forum (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?projectid=1) to this thread so that the developers aknowledge it, but I can't post there.

Do they read Safer Networking Forums > Software > Spybot-S&D ? (aka the forum we are in right now)

Prompting user choice was an important feature in my eyes, even though the newer feature is equally important for non advanced users. Do we know why was the old feature removed instead of made toggleable?

z3razerviper
2008-08-16, 06:47
Same here I prefer to make the choice myself its a feature I really want back.

Greyfox
2008-08-16, 07:04
SilkDoNadear,

Perhaps I misunderstand what you are saying, however the original dialogue panel still comes up to warn you of a registry change, with buttons to either Allow or Deny hasn't changed, it's still there and it still works much as it has for quite some time, though perhaps some more common changes are pre-approved

What has changed is that the square box that used to "remind" you when Teatimer repeated an already approved or remember this instruction has been replaced with the standardised Windows balloon format, and this type of balloon is not subject to the "show info balloons" in the right click menu.

In addition there is the info balloons that relate to the Teatimer process scanning, which are optional and can be turned off in the right click menu.
But to repeat, the original Allow/Deny dialogue panel is still functional.

The default memory usage in 1.6.1.21 or 1.6.1.22 versions of Teatimer is about 40-45MB, which is running in the Conserve Memory Mode to enable it to be used with older slower platforms with small memory. If you change it to the Faster speed but with higher memory mode which many of us with modern platforms prefer, it takes about 173MB.