PDA

View Full Version : Spybot SD Makes IE very slow

Bunni
2008-08-11, 19:30
After upgrading to 1.6, I find that IE7 is very slow to open web pages, any web pages. I thought at first it was my internet connection, but it wasn't. Then I thought maybe it was some errant activex thing slowing it down. I disabled all loaded programs in IE, and success, fast loads again. I put them back one at a time. The first was spybot SD, and low and behold, slow down.

Version 5.2 didn't have this problem.

When I load Firefox, again nice fast browsing.

IE7 is almost unusable with Spybot SD resident, and I've never had that experience before with previous versions. I don't use tea timer.

The program itself seems fine, and I had no trouble with immunizing or scanning. It's just the resident portion. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling with the registry service, and that didn't change anything.

Anything I can do to solve this issue?

Bunni
2008-08-11, 20:37
Clarifying: SD Helper is making IE7 slow, and just found a previous thread on the subject. Sorry for the redundant post.

2008-08-11, 20:45
Hope you found a solution. :)

Bunni
2008-08-12, 03:56
no solution yet :) Still waiting :)

DougCuk
2008-08-12, 08:59
Bunni I know you have seen several of the other threads on this subject. My main focus is on the slowdown/delay when opening folders in Windows Explorer caused by SDHelper - as discussed in this thread http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=30943 - However it might be usefull to compare notes so I ask the following:

Do you also see a slowdown in response in My Computer/Windows Explorer when opening folders?
Or is it just the IE7 slowdown that you have?

The Windows Explorer slowdown/delay responds to the same SDHelper test you have used with IE7 - so it should be obvious if this problem is present on your system. It would be good to know if these two problems always occur together.
Also can you clarify what version of Windows you are running.

Bunni
2008-08-12, 14:16
No, I'm only seeing it in IE7. Windows Explorer is unaffected.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

snowboarder
2008-08-12, 14:59
Additionally, since upgrading to the latest version of Spybot, my computer fan runs continuously now -- that can't be good for the machine. I looked in the help menu can can't find information on this issue.

cmerch19602003
2008-08-12, 22:34
Don't mean to be a smart---, but IE (any version) is an outright piece of crap software. IE7 especially is totally over bloated.

Do yourself a HUGE favor, and go get Mozilla Firefox. If you are moving up in the Internet world enough to be here using S&D, you should be ready to start using FF. It's a far better browser, slimmer, trimmer, and more secure. AND it's far more functional. There are literally thousands of add-ons and plug-ins available to increase the functionality WAY beyond what IE could ever dream of being.

I NEVER use IE anymore, unless I absolutely HAVE to for certain MS updates. Some will not work through FF.

Get it anyway. You'll be glad you did.

Bunni
2008-08-13, 08:47
While I agree to a certain extent, my IE7 was working properly and without issue until I installed spybot 1.6. When I disable SD Helper, it again runs without a problem.

It would make more sense to me, that since SD Helper is causing the issue, that some kind developer here, take notice and do something, as it is affecting others as well. I'd like the problem noticed and fixed.

I also use firefox. But I am one of those silly people that enjoys IE7 as well :)

In this case, it is not IE7 causing the issue, as again, when I disable SD Helper, it works beautifully and as it is meant to.

Thanks for taking the time to critique my choices though, I wish it had been more helpful directly.