PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.6 Repair - XP Won't Boot

CoolHandLuke01
2008-08-12, 04:17
Hi,

I ran Spybot 1.6 on a friend's XP Pro SP2 computer that had over 200 various problems, and now the system won't reboot.

All of the latest updates were applied to Spybot and it ran completely to the end and reported over 200 errors.

I selected the "Fix and Repair" option and it cleaned out a few problems, and I got a message saying to the effect - "Spybot Had To Reboot to Clean out the rest of the Errors", so I rebooted and got just the XP blinking prompt or BSOD.

I tried using F8 to get into Safe Mode, but it won't work.

I'm aware of the option to use the original XP CDs to repair XP, but my friend can't find the original CDs and they may be lost, and he doesn't have backups.

Is there a bootable repair XP CD available to repair the HD, and what commands are best to use?

This is a urgent request.

Regards,

CHL

Yodama
2008-08-12, 10:21
hello,

the Ultimate Boot CD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) has most tools for recovery a non bootable Windows.
But without further details it is impossible to say what needs to be done to get the operating system back into a working condition.

For instance what does the blue screen say?
It may also be helpful to have the lates fixes logs and checks txt by Spybot S&D, on a Windows XP these are located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs\

If you require a graphical user interface for retrieving these fixes logs using a Linux BootCD may be a good choice, for instance Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/), Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.org/)

There is also the option for a bootable Windows CD with BartPE, but this would require a Windows Installation CD.

CoolHandLuke01
2008-08-12, 10:51
Yodama,

Excellent idea of using Ultimate Boot CD, or using the Linux options of
Ubuntu, Knoppix.

I don't have all of the details of the boot up messages from the blue screen since I was helping my friend remotely, he said the prompt just kept blinking.

I personally have been using Spybot for over 6+ years and never encountered this problem.

I'm also curious as to what the logs say and also the Event Log, it could be a combination of adverse conditions, since this PC has had zero maintenance, and too many users going to too many adverse web sites.

Spybot detected several trojans, MS security virus, and many malware and spyware programs - it was a mess.

Best Regards,

CHL

Bob Carruth
2008-08-12, 14:24
hello,

There is also the option for a bootable Windows CD with BartPE, but this would require a Windows Installation CD.

This may not be true for everyone but when a neighbor got hit with the "HellzLittleSpy" problem and could not boot I built an emergency boot CD on my own PC and it functioned perfectly on theirs.

Belatedly let me add my thanks to the members here. Without your guidance back then I never would have even known about Bart. Saved me a lot of hours and my friends the cost of a repair and/or the loss of their unbacked up data.

Bob