PDA

View Full Version : version 1.6 updated from 1.5

Shelley
2008-08-12, 05:56
Hi I had to uninstall version 1.5 because when installing the new version I somehow had both installed on pc. Now I used add/delete to remove as well as deleted the program file manually. Is it necessary to do the small fix to registry as well as delete the hiiden file (win xp sp3) before reinstalling version 1.6 again? Thanks in advance,
Shelley

drragostea
2008-08-12, 05:59
So do you still have any Spybot-SD versions on your computer?

You can refer to md usa spybot fan's post about how to remove Spybot-SD completely. What the small fix does is to remove the traces Spybot's registry keys after removal. You should run the fix after a reboot.
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=199444&postcount=5
--

Shelley
2008-08-12, 06:51
I appreciate your quick response! I think both are removed, although in my start/all programs there still exists a spybot entry. Should I delete this as well? Also, thanks for the link. I will do the registry fix as you stated, thanks! What about deleting the hidden folder, is that necessary also? Don't forget, I want to reinstall vesion 1.6.
Thanks again,
Shelley

drragostea
2008-08-12, 07:38
Hm. What did you mean by the "hidden folder"? Were you referring to the 'Program Folder'?

If you wanted to remove all traces of Spybot-SD and then begin anew, then you can remove the Program Folder. The small fix was to be done after reboot. Just right-click "Merge" on the reigstry entry and click 'Ok' to the prompt.

Are you sure Spybot is not on your computer anymore? You can delete the existing entry in your Add/Remove Programs window.

Good luck, and report back.

Shelley
2008-08-13, 04:25
Hi again D!
By saying "hidden file folder", I meant the Application data folder. Sorry for not making that clear and thanks again! Waiting till I understand everything before reinstall. I didn't have a chance to do the "small fix" yet, is that going to cause me problems that I didnlt do it yet? Already removed program folder & did add/remove. Thanks again!
Shelley
( xp sp3)

drragostea
2008-08-13, 05:13
Then your "Application folder" would be:

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy Correct?

Yes, you can run the "small fix" (Merge>Ok) after a reboot.

Then install v.1.6 anew.

Safe Surfing.

Shelley
2008-08-13, 07:15
"Also, neither the automated uninstall nor the manual uninstall like described above will remove the following directories, which you will have to remove by hand:
Windows 95 or 98: C:\Windows\Aplication Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
Windows Vista: C:\ProgramData\Spybot - Search & Destroy\.
(Please note that the Application Data Folder is hidden. So if you can't find this folder please check your folder properties).
Explanation: this folder contains the backup (the quarantined files) that Spybot-S&D creates. If the Uninstall would remove this folder as well, this would mean that those backups would be gone. We saw it a few times that new users uninstalled Spybot-S&D in panic after they've experienced a small problem, thus removing the backup that would have undone any changes."

This is what I meant about hidden folder.
Must I do this for a reinstall?
Also, I believe as I think I remeber correctly, had never found a threat or altered anything or made any changes such as quarantined, etc.
Thanks!.
Thanks D!

md usa spybot fan
2008-08-13, 09:34
Shelley:

You can just leave the following folder in place and install the new version:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy

drragostea
2008-08-13, 21:19
Sorry about that Shelly. Thank you md.

Shelley
2008-08-15, 15:14
No problem D! Thanks for your help and thank you to you as well MD!
I will get back to you as soon as I have time to install.
With gratitude to both of you,
Shelley

Shelley
2008-08-18, 16:46
Ok, this what I did:
Firstly, you helped me very much in understanding this and I wanted to thank you again! After encountering problems and reading a few forum posts, I decided to reinstall version 1.5, just for now. Please don't be upset that I did this, you still helped me immensely! I decided to wait and make sure that all the kinks are worked out and then install version 1.6. At least I think that I am quite clear on what to do now but just in case, knowing how helpful you are, I will certainly get back to you with further problems.
Just one suggestion though, why does the "main update" show up in the list of downlodable updates when it should not be installed through this method or rather an uninstall is required before this main update? In any case, thanks again for helling me remove the double downloads of Spybot and take care.
Sincerely,
Shelley.

2008-08-18, 20:50
Just one suggestion though, why does the "main update" show up in the list of downlodable updates when it should not be installed through this method or rather an uninstall is required before this main update? In any case, thanks again for helling me remove the double downloads of Spybot and take care.
Sincerely,
Shelley.

I posted about this, you can find the answer as to why it is like that for now here:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=32318

Shelley
2008-08-28, 06:47
Hi "129"! I really appreciate your post and links. Thanks so much for making feel better in knowing that I was not the only one with this question and providing support. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you.
Have a wonderful eveningl
Sincerely,
Shelley