PDA

View Full Version : MSN messenger won't load after installing 1.6.0

ZeroZero
2008-08-12, 09:53
Greetings, first off thanks for creating Spybot-SD I've been using it for over a year and I'm quite satisfied with it.

But here's my issue: ever since I installed Spybot-SD version 1.6.0 my msn messenger has been acting strangely. It normally loads after I start up my computer but after I installed 1.6.0 it has been taking literally hours to load. Also when I close messenger and try to start it up again it takes hours for it to respond.

I'm sure this is not a memory problem. I have about 1.5 gigs of RAM still free. Before I installed 1.6.0 MSN was working fine. I'm running XP pro btw.

Can anyone tell me what's causing MSN to be so ridiculously slow (I really mean it takes hours for it respond, I'm not exaggerating) and how do I fix this?

Thanks.

Zenobia
2008-08-12, 17:42
I'm not sure what would cause that,but we'll give it a go. :)
Do you have Teatimer enabled?

ZeroZero
2008-08-12, 20:43
I think so. I did install it. Where can I see if I have Teatimer enabled?

drragostea
2008-08-12, 22:43
TeaTimer will be on the Taskbar (clock) and should look like the Spybot window with a "gray" user.

Was MSN set to start up automatically? If you know how to use "msconfig" (startup manager), or Spybot's startup list, you can manually disable the entry.

Can you clear the temp. files (both browser and computer), cookies (browser), and cache (browser) from the computer?

ZeroZero
2008-08-13, 11:58
I don't see Teatimer on the taskbar. I'm gonna download spybot again and de-install + re-install and see if it helps. Maybe something went wrong while updating.

MSN is set up to start automatically.

Yes I know how to clear cookies :rolleyes: I've got ccleaner which does all of that.

I'm gonna de-install and re-install today, maybe the solution is that simple. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks

ZeroZero
2008-08-13, 15:35
Ok, so uninstalled spybot. Here's the first issue: it seemed spybot had been installed twice. After uninstalling spybot didn't run anymore but it still showed up as an installed program so I deinstalled it again and after that it was gone. I think the reason why I had spybot installed twice was because something may have gone wrong while updating. So maybe first time I uninstalled the update and the second time the old version or something like that.

After clearing the register and cookies I installed spybot again. I rebooted my pc and again it still took msn ages to load. Also I still don't see Teatimer on my taskbar. Is there supposed to be both a Spybot and a Teatimer on my taskbar or just a Teatimer? Because if there's just supposed to be a Teatimer then I do have it, I just thought it was Spybot (sorry bout that)

How can I see Spybots startup list?

Also: after I had Spybot completely deinstalled it still took msn a long time to start up. So the problem might not be caused directly by Spybot. However the problem did start after I updated Spybot so I'd still appreciate help.

Does Spybot run some kind of scan of msn each time before it starts up? And could I turn off this scan or something? Maybe that will do the trick.

Thanks

Zenobia
2008-08-14, 04:38
No problem. :) Yes,that icon down there by the clock is Teatimer.
Since it still took messenger a long time to start with Spybot uninstalled,it may be just a coincidence that that started happening after updating Spybot.But,to check,could you temporarily disable Teatimer,and then reboot,and see if the slow messenger startup is still there?
To temporarily disable Teatimer,please open Spybot,click Mode,Advanced Mode,then click Tools,Resident,and uncheck the box next to Resident "Teatimer".Reboot your computer,and then please go back and reenable Teatimer once again.Please let me know how it went.

ZeroZero
2008-08-15, 11:41
Ok, I disabled Teatimer and that didn't do the trick. Then I tried reinstalling msn which didn't work either. After that I followed someone's advice and turned off my modem and router for a minute and turned them back on again. That did the trick. My router was "cluttered" and needed some "fresh air" is how my friend described it :) And because msn had difficulty connecting to the internet it took so long to load it.

So anyway the problem wasn't related at all to spybot. But thanks for your help, I was just looking around to see what might have caused it. Spybot is a great program and I'll definitely keep using it.

Zenobia
2008-08-16, 06:30
I like how your friend put that. :laugh:
Glad you got Messenger working. :)