PDA

View Full Version : MS Message: System Settings Protector has encounted a problem and needs to close

lambertr
2008-08-13, 00:05
After installing SybotS&D 1.6 I get the message on boot up of "System Settings Protector has encounted a problem and needs to close". If I report the problem to MS, and follow the related MS link it tells me SybotS&D is the problem. I've researched the solution on the web but none of the solutions offered work. Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

GA8572
2008-08-24, 01:53
Hi LambertR

I also have this problem. I have uninstalled SpyBotSD, rebooted, reinstalled SpyBotSD, and yet still have this problem. I did not have this problem with the earlier version of SpyBotSD (1.5.0).

An error message dialog box that appears refers to an 'OutOfResources' error, and that it cannot create the tray icon for Teatimer.exe.

I too would be interested in any suggestions Safer Networking staff may have as to how to overcome this problem.

GA8572

WinXP Pro, P4, SpyBotSD 1.6.0.31

jkcohen
2008-08-24, 05:49
I also am experiencing the same "Systems Settings Protector has experienced a problem and needs to close" message on bootup. It occurred after TeaTimer was upgraded to 1.6.1. Reinstallation did not help.

Windows XP Pro SP3, Spybot 1.6.0.30, Norton Internet Security 2008.

Hopefully, if a cluster of these reports develops, something can be done.

wehey
2008-08-24, 18:00
Hi,

I also have exactly the same problem on two of my PCs. One is running XP SP3 and one running Vista SP1. Since the update I receive this error usually on boot up.

Anyone have any clues? Any idea what effect it's having on security?

Thanks,
Mark

rsmallen
2008-08-25, 12:34
I get the same error message but I did not update to 1.6. I am getting it on 1.5.2 It seems to have started after the last huge bunch of Windows updates that automatically installed to my Vista machine.

danielsp
2008-08-25, 14:01
I am getting the same problem when I start-up the PC. Running Windows XP, with all latest patches. Spybot 1.6.0.30. I started to recieve the messages yesterday, despite not having run Spybot for a few weeks.

spybotsandra
2008-08-25, 15:17
Hello,

That message is probably refered to the TeaTimer.
Please rightclick on the TeaTimer icon in the system tray and have a look which version of the TeaTimer you run.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

jkcohen
2008-08-25, 17:28
Dear Sandra:

I can't click on the TeaTimer to determine its version because, as stated by every message in this thread, the TeaTimer crashes on boot. :sad:

spybotsandra
2008-08-25, 18:47
Hello,

Please download the new TeaTimer version 1.6.1.23.
It is available here (http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/beta/TeaTimer.exe-1.6.2.23.zip).

Just replace the old TeaTimer.exe file with the new one.
It should be stored in your Spybot folder.
C:\Programms\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

jkcohen
2008-08-26, 12:04
I have replaced TeaTimer.exe with the new version, and it still crashes on boot, exactly as before.

bitman
2008-08-26, 14:01
How much RAM do those of you with this problem have in your PC?

Bitman

jkcohen
2008-08-26, 16:35
I have 2 Gb of RAM in the machine experiencing the ongoing problems with TeaTimer.

Greyfox
2008-08-26, 17:00
Have you made a snapshot of the system startup?.

First disable Teatimer - put Spybot into Advanced mode, click on Tools, click on resident and remove the tick from Resident Teatimer. Exit Spybot via the File/Exit - not the red cross then reboot (others may dispute the need for the reboot, but it's a good belt and braces approach)

Once the PC is back up and running, start Spybot and with it in Advanced mode click on Tools, then System Startup. Right click anywhere in the screen that appears, and then click on create snapshot.

Exit Spybot, again via the File/Exit not the red cross, restart it again and retick teatimer.

Please post back and let's know if that made any difference.

GA8572
2008-08-27, 12:12
I have 2Gb RAM, P4 3.0Ghz, Win XP Pro SP3.

I have tired of the problem, and reinstalled SpyBotSD 1.5.2. Since doing so I have not had any further troubles.

For those of you who would like to try the same, you can download older versions of SpyBotSD from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_destroy/

Good luck all.

ObamaMama
2008-08-28, 11:59
After installing SybotS&D 1.6 I get the message on boot up of "System Settings Protector has encounted a problem and needs to close". If I report the problem to MS, and follow the related MS link it tells me SybotS&D is the problem. I've researched the solution on the web but none of the solutions offered work. Does anyone know how to resolve this problem?

Between one and the 'resident has encountered an error...' tea timer is making me crazy

XP SP3 Norton 360 SB 1.6.0.30

butor2003
2008-08-28, 12:17
I also get the message System Settings Protector has encountered a problem.

My PC is running XP Home SP3 1.5Gb RAM

Is there a fix yet for this?

Mike

rsmallen
2008-08-28, 12:30
I had been encountering the same message on a version prior to 1.6. I uninstalled the program entirely. Coincidentally, I had ordered some new RAM since I was running Vista on the 1gb that was installed by mfg and I upgraded to 2 the moment it arrived in my mailbox. I reinstalled Spybot plus teatimer and have been running for two days now without a single instance of the systems protection message.

andre.ledo
2008-09-04, 16:38
Hello,

Please download the new TeaTimer version 1.6.1.23.
It is available here (http://www.spybotupdates.biz/files/beta/TeaTimer.exe-1.6.2.23.zip).

Just replace the old TeaTimer.exe file with the new one.
It should be stored in your Spybot folder.
C:\Programms\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

In my system (WinXP Home SP3, SBS&D 1.6.0.30) TeaTimer is inside Updates subfolder (C:\ProgFiles\SBS&D\Updates\TeaTimer.exe).

The message I get every Win starting is the same other peoples does. In the error report I can read that error refers to "C:\DOCUMEN~1\USER\LOCALS~1\Temp\a20f_appcompat.txt".

Sorry by my english, I'm a brazilian...

I'm looking for a solution too...

Big hug to everyone!

chelsea
2008-09-08, 00:50
I also have gotten the same as Andre. Here is what the error report says:

System Settings Protector
Error Signature
AppName: teatimer.exe
AppVer: 1.6.2.23
ModName: kernel32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.5512
Offset: 00012aeb

andre.ledo
2008-09-08, 14:47
I have replaced TeaTimer.exe with the new version, and it still crashes on boot, exactly as before.

I did the same, and it crashes just like the same way...and I have two entries in SB S&D in the system startup programs list for TeaTimer, both with the same path (C:\prgfiles\SB S&D\TeaTimer.exe).

In my system, TeaTimer is in "Updates" subfolder (C:\prgfiles\SB S&D\Updates\TeaTimer.exe).

I'm looking for a solution too...

Big hug!

Win XP SP3

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-09, 00:43
andre.ledo:

Evidentially there was a problem with the installation or updating of Spybot. TeaTimer.exe should reside in the same directory as the rest of Spybot's programs. i.e.:
%ProgramFiles%\Spybot - Search & Destroy
On English language systems that would be:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
On Portuguese language systems that would be:
C:\Prg Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
It appears that your problem may be that the startup entry for TeaTimer.exe is pointing to:
C:\Prg Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
And the TeaTimer.exe program is in:
C:\Prg Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Update

I suggest that uninstall Spybot and reinstall. To uninstall see the following article:
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
How to uninstall?
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html
I also suggest that you download and execute this very small fix (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg) on that page to ensure that regitry entries are cleared before reinstalling.
The direct download link is:
this very small fix (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg)
--- or ---
remove-spybotsd-settings.reg (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg)
Download the file.
Double click on it
Answer Yes then OK.

Gnomeface
2008-09-09, 11:47
I have followed this thread with interest, as I have the same problem as described. I've followed the full uninstall process described in the post above, rebooting between each stage, and then reinstalled the latest version of Spybot. Observations:

1. When the latest version of SpyBot is installed, Teatimer works fine.

2. When the "Update" feature is invoked, there are 5 updates waiting - including one for Teatimer. Once this is installed Teatimer fails to start at the next boot, because of the errors described earlier in this thread.

Conclusion:
There is a fault in the latest update of Teatimer.

Questions:
1. Why have I (an inexperienced user) had to go to all this trouble to prove what seems to be blindingly obvious?
2. What is being done to fix it?

andre.ledo
2008-09-10, 21:28
MD USA:

I did everything as you told me, but it's still crashing, just like before.

The 1st thing that crashes is the Windows Explorer, followed by Teatimer.

After installation, I can see a dialog box that starts with "step 3 of 7" (create a registry backup) and finishes with "step 4 of 7" (download updates).

After that, SB S&D and TeaTimer closes and both don't restart.

What about steps 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7 of 7?

TeaTimer is installed again (by auto installer) in Updates subfolder.

And again I can see two entries for TeaTimer in SB S&D system startup progs list.

I'm still worried about this...as I'm still looking for a solution...

Tanx for your attention to my problem.

spybotsandra
2008-09-11, 10:42
Hello Peter,

Several users have reported this problem and we search for things in common.
All use Windows XP with Service Pack 3. All use Spybot. But lot of others do this also and do not get this error.
So there has to be something else.

Do you have any other security software installed?
Perhaps there is something with the hardware of your pc.
Which pc do you have?
A special brand?
What kind of processor do you have?
How much RAM do you have?
Do you have any other hardware like a tv card?

Thanks for working with us on this issue. :-)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

spybotsandra
2008-09-11, 12:31
Hello,

Could you please do the following for us?

1. Send us your teatimer.exe to: detections(at)spybot.info .
2. Open the update folder ( c:\programme\spybot - search & destroy\updates ) and start the teatimer161.exe from there and install it.
Is the error still present?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

doobie1
2008-09-11, 13:31
Done and sent as requested Sandra.

error still persists :sad:

andre.ledo
2008-09-11, 16:09
Hi, Sandra.

Thanks for your attention to my problem.

Answering your questions:

Q: Do you have any other security software installed?
A: Yes. ZoneAlarm 7.0.483.000, Avast! Home Edition 4.8 and Windows Defender 1.1.1593.0. All working fine together with SB S&D until last update.

Q: Perhaps there is something with the hardware of your pc.
Which pc do you have? A special brand?
A: Acer TravelMate 2200 Series notebook. Nothing special. Just a little old stuff...

Q: What kind of processor do you have? How much RAM do you have? Do you have any other hardware like a tv card?
A: Intel Celeron D 2.8 MHz, 768 DDR SDRAM PC2700 133MHz (64MB of this amount to video), no TV card, no other hardware.

I'm sending you my TeaTimer to detections@spybot.info.

When I click in TeaTimer.exe from its folder it start, but when I restart the system the error is still present.

Best Regards,

André Ledo

WinXP SP3 HE

2008-09-11, 21:54
Q: Do you have any other security software installed?
A: Yes. ZoneAlarm 7.0.483.000, Avast! Home Edition 4.8 and Windows Defender 1.1.1593.0. All working fine together with SB S&D until last update.

Spybot Sandra, I wanted to add that i have the exact same software as what that user has quoted above, and i do not experience this teatimer issue that some people are experiencing. Therefor, I can assume that that specific software is not what is causing it. It's a rough assume, haha, but I do not have this teatimer error with the same software. System specs are in sig.

Also i have the same video card memory, and almost the same ram as the user stated above as well. I just have a little bit of a slower processor...

maggeye
2008-09-12, 10:13
I had the 'System Settings Protection has encountered a problem and needs to close' error message for the first time two days ago, not yesterday, when everything ran as normal, and again today.

Neither Spybot S&D nor TeaTimer are now running in processes. I have no tray icon.

I am running Windows XP SP2. Spybot Version 1.6 0.31 in advanced mode as previously advised.
I have made NO changes, apart from updating detections, nor have I installed any hew programs.

I was going to uninstall/reinstall, but I see from several previous posts that this has no effect so would be a pointless exercise.

spybotsandra
2008-09-12, 12:19
Hello,

As you are not getting the error anymore now.... did you change anything in Spybot or your pc?

For all the others:

It would help us if you can do the following:
Rightclick on "my computer" -> "properties".
Choose advanced.
And then "performance".
Under "virtual memory" choose "changed".
Under custom size in the upper field enter a solid value.
Use the same value in the field below it.

Thanks. :-)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

maggeye
2008-09-12, 12:26
Hello,

As you are not getting the error anymore now.... did you change anything in Spybot or your pc?

For all the others:

Choose advanced.
And then "performance".

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Hello

If that is directed at me, if you read my post you will see that I am still getting the error.

doobie1
2008-09-12, 14:12
have also done as suggested to change virtual memory etc.....error still exists.

andre.ledo
2008-09-12, 14:42
have also done as suggested to change virtual memory etc.....error still exists.

In my system, virtual memory was customized before this issue...

maggeye
2008-09-12, 15:15
In my system, virtual memory was customized before this issue...

Mine too.

2008-09-12, 15:18
would be system managed size, that way you let the system manage the virtual memory. I usaully recommend that. :) But maybe that's just me...

amirali1928
2008-09-12, 19:02
In my cae also, virtual memory was already customized. However, figures in the upper and lower custom size were different. As advised, I changed the lower to the same as the upper one. I clicked 'Apply' and 'OK', and the sytem required to be restarted. It was done but I got the same messge that I was getting previously.
I have been using Spybot S&D for quite some time and did not have this problem till recent updating to 1.0.6.31. I am not a techie but I have a feeling that the error has got something to do with TeaTimer in the latest version. I don't think it is hardware related.
I have more or less the system as most others have, and I must clarify that my software is also Windows XP SP2 (Of course, it is Media Center Edition).
I do hope some one finds an answer to the problem and is kind eonough to advise me also how to get rid of this irriatant.

maggeye
2008-09-13, 10:16
I have just started my PC and today Spybot and TeaTimer are running normally. No error message. I wouls appear to be an intermittent problem for me.

I made no changes to the system yesterday, and didn't download or delete any programs.

GA8572
2008-09-13, 12:22
I have 2Gb RAM, P4 3.0Ghz, Win XP Pro SP3.

I have tired of the problem, and reinstalled SpyBotSD 1.5.2. Since doing so I have not had any further troubles.

For those of you who would like to try the same, you can download older versions of SpyBotSD from here:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_destroy/

Good luck all.

The latest Teatimer is buggy. Use the above (I know, not perfect, but it works) and wait for a newer version which hopefully will not have this problem.

maggeye
2008-09-13, 13:33
The latest Teatimer is buggy. Use the above (I know, not perfect, but it works) and wait for a newer version which hopefully will not have this problem.

Thanks.

It seems we've been abandoned by the 'experts'.:lip::)

JClynes
2008-09-13, 18:12
I have the same problem as everyone else – I am on XP SP2. Its intermittent with me, sometimes works, other times get the error message at startup.

If it fails I have found the only way to start it is to fireup Spybot, go to Tools, Resident – the programme then starts up of its own accord without any error messages.

Am running Skype & Norton.

GA8572
2008-09-13, 20:52
I have the same problem as everyone else – I am on XP SP2. Its intermittent with me, sometimes works, other times get the error message at startup.

If it fails I have found the only way to start it is to fireup Spybot, go to Tools, Resident – the programme then starts up of its own accord without any error messages.

Am running Skype & Norton.

Yes, TeaTimer will start just fine if done from within SpyBotSD itself. The problem (for me at least) seems to occur only at boot time, and therein lies a clue as to what is going wrong: there seems to be a conflict b/w TeaTimer 's own initialisation and the initialisation of the rest of the PC. I am wondering if this conflict is due to an argument b/w TeaTimer and the antivirus softwares initialisation. This would make sense, as there is no problem with TeaTimer when it is started at any time other than boot-up (and therefore the anti-virus s/w is not initialising).

I am running avast 4.8, BTW.

I would be interested in the SpyBot Tech teams views on this proposition. And thankyou for the software (yes I have donated, and did so gladly).

emredrum
2008-09-14, 03:52
Ran this link,
Rebooted,
All good, no more System Settings Protect error on boot.

http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg

miole
2008-09-16, 11:59
I have the same problem. :sad:

I tried to apply all solutions you suggested, but the problem persist.

When I boot the system there is the problem, if I make "debug" and then start spyboot, on "Utility" -> "resident" the teatimer.exe start and try icon appare...

My OS WINXP sp3
NOD32 antivirus.

Sorry for my bad english I'm italian...

miole
2008-09-16, 12:04
Ran this link,
Rebooted,
All good, no more System Settings Protect error on boot.

http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg

This solution only unload the "SDHelper" and "teatimer" on the resident execution. If you flag the modules the problem persist :red:

miole
2008-09-16, 12:32
Hello,

For all the others:

Choose advanced.
And then "performance".

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Last week I tried to change my virtual memory on customer automatic value. Then after reboot it seems resolved but today it reappare.

maggeye
2008-09-17, 09:51
Mine has been fine for the past few days, but the error appeared again today.

spybotsandra
2008-09-17, 15:54
Hello,

Everyone with the problem please send an e-mail to:
detections(at)spybot.info and you will get a new TeaTimer version that will fix this problem. :)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

gatorsaver
2008-09-17, 17:55
I'm in the same boat.. Email sent.

miole
2008-09-18, 11:05
I have just sent my e-mail. :)

as_floussou
2008-09-18, 23:42
Hello,

detections(at)spybot.info and you will get a new TeaTimer version that will fix this problem. :)

Best regards
Sandra

Hello Sandra
Team Spybot
Systems settings protector : Signature Erreur
AppName: teatimer.exe AppVer: 1.6.2.23 ModName: kernel32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00012eb33
Antivirus : Avast 4.8

N.B. Please reply in french
:snorkle:

doobie1
2008-09-19, 00:14
have also sent email 18 Sept (6.15pm)

tonypart
2008-09-19, 10:59
Sent e-mail 18th
Received new copy of teatimer also 18th
Installed and so far OK. but my error was intermittent so time will tell!

doobie1
2008-09-20, 01:00
sounding good tonypart.

I have re-sent email to "detections" as I haven't received any new TeaTimer yet from my previous email 2 days ago.

Funny though, no error message came up today - nothing changed/deleted/edited/installed.

andre.ledo
2008-09-20, 14:45
I did receive and install the TeaTimer sent to me by e-mail...it's a new testversion...but it's still with this strange malfunction...

amirali1928
2008-09-20, 21:22
Hello,

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Dear Sandra,
Excuse me for me for being too naive to understand how to send an e-mail to detections(at)spybot.info. My e-mail client, Outlook Express, would not accept this address. Kindly advise.
Regards,
amirali1928
P.S. In the meantime, my problem pesists as in case of many others.

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-20, 21:41
amirali1928:

Replace the "(at)" in "detections(at)spybot.info" with an "@" sign, i.e. detections@spybot.info.

The "detections(at)spybot.info" was written that way in an attempt to prevent Web page scanners from picking up the email address and sending spam to the address.

PepiMK
2008-09-20, 22:57
The download of the test version is now also available here (http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=285#note1096) on the bugtracker.

amirali1928
2008-09-21, 18:22
amirali1928:

Replace the "(at)" in "detections(at)spybot.info" with an "@" sign, i.e. detections@spybot.info.

The "detections(at)spybot.info" was written that way in an attempt to prevent Web page scanners from picking up the email address and sending spam to the address.

Thank you. I will try that. I hope I have luck. I read over the forum the other day that another person did not get the new version.

Regards,

amirali1928

bengalexfx
2008-09-22, 09:02

Using XP Pro, encountering this same thing since upgrade to Spybot S&D 1.6.

Buster
2008-09-22, 09:19
Did you already try to download the new test version PepiMK mentioned?

doobie1
2008-09-24, 05:06
Still haven't received any return email with new TeaTimer from "detections(at)spybot.info" from my 2 emails back on 18th and 20th!

However, have downloaded test TeaTimer from link above and no error showing after 2 reboots (so far anyway).

tonypart
2008-09-24, 12:37
I have been running the new test Teatimer for 6 days now.
My PC goes on & off 2 - 3 time a day and there has been no error yet!!:)

spybotsandra
2008-09-24, 15:24
Hello,

Some of the sent e-mails came back because some providers seems to block zip and exe files as attachments.
So please download the new TeaTimer here (http://www.spybotupdates.com/files/beta/teatimer162.exe).

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

andre.ledo
2008-09-24, 18:19
Updating subjects about my life with SB-SnD 1.6 & TeaTimer 1.6.2 (new testversion):

1 yesterday I'd unninstall the hole program (with Windows Add or Remove Programs utility). I'd clean all Windows registry entries (with Small Fix utility). I'd send to recycle bin all folders related to SB-SnD 1.6 & TeaTimer 1.6.2(manually);

2 after that, I'd reboot my system;

3 then I'd install SB-SnD 1.6 and its updates and I'd reboot my system again;

4 the errors occurred again (I'd received 2 error messages - the first one about Windows Explorer, and the second one about System Settings Protector);

5 I'd install TeaTimer 1.6.2 (it was saved in my desktop; 2 clicks to open zipped folder, 2 clicks in the auto installer, choose "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy" folder) and I'd rebbot my system again;

6 since that, no more error messages; TeaTimer is starting with Windows and taking about 45 MB of memory to run (as showed in Windows Task Manager);

7 not one signal of TeaTimer 1.6.2 in "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy"...it seems that it's not installed...in the "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Updates" folder I can find TeaTimer 1.6.1 zipped folder and Teatimer 1.6.1 Application (unzipped)...very strange...but no more error messages;

8 no icon in system tray...very strange...but no more error messages;

9 just one entry related to TeaTimer in SB-SnD startup programs list:
Key: HK_CU:Run (User S-1-5-21-1752096679-3430870399-372600911-1005)
Value: SpybotSD TeaTimer
Command Line: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
(before I unninstall and install the hole program, there was 2 entries related to TeaTimer in SB-SnD startup programs list);

10 today I'd ask for and received updates normally, applied immunization and rebooted my system: no errors at all!!!

So far, I still think something is very strange, because...a) where's TeaTimer 1.6.2? I swear I'd install it!!!! b) where's is TeaTimer system tray icon?

Big hug everyone!!

I'm not leaving SB-SnD!!! I want to believe!!!

André (and, of course, excuse me about my English... :clown:)

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-24, 21:39
andre.ledo:

10 today I'd ask for and received updates normally, applied immunization and rebooted my system: no errors at all!!!

So far, I still think something is very strange, because...a) where's TeaTimer 1.6.2? I swear I'd install it!!!! b) where's is TeaTimer system tray icon? ...
Unless you deliberately suppressed the TeaTimer icon with a registry tweak, it should be displayed in the taskbar notification area (system tray) if TeaTimer is running.

Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode (answer Yes to the warning message if necessary) » Tools » Resident. Under the heading "Resident protection status" you will see: Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.
If the following item is unchecked, check it. Or if it is checked, unchecked it and then re-check it:
Is the TeaTimer icon now displayed in the taskbar notification area?

GA8572
2008-09-25, 03:05
I have been using the new TeaTimer for about a week now (usually 1 boot per day), and so far no problems.

As with other posters, the icon still wont display in the system tray, even though it is clearly running according to Task Manager, but this is no big matter.

Thank you for your help.

LLKone1987
2008-09-25, 03:55
andre.ledo:

Unless you deliberately suppressed the TeaTimer icon with a registry tweak, it should be displayed in the taskbar notification area (system tray) if TeaTimer is running.

Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode (answer Yes to the warning message if necessary) » Tools » Resident. Under the heading "Resident protection status" you will see: Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
If the following item is unchecked, check it. Or if it is checked, unchecked it and then re-check it:

LLKone1987 here, I've tried the given directions Spybot Fan has given, and I can attest that this does work. Thank God a Teatimer fix was finally out. This thing was giving me a headache for the past two weeks.

andre.ledo
2008-09-25, 15:14
andre.ledo:

Hi, MD

I didn't supress TeaTimer icon...simply because I don't know how to edit Windows registry entries...I just used that Small Fix to clean it, as it was told me to do, by you and/or others SB-SnD Team Members...I'm following your instructions and walking by your book...truly!

The 2 options in Tools>Resident was already checked.

I'd uncheck and then re-check it, and TeaTimer icon appeared in system tray.

1 the dialog box asking for changes permission/confirmation only appeared for the uncheck/re-check of SDHelper. Nothing for TeaTimer.

2 I'd reboot my system (like I always do it after commanding any system change or any program installation ). Guess what? No TeaTimer icon in system tray...but Teatimer is on! And fine!

Big hug and thank's for your attention!

André

spybotsandra
2008-09-25, 15:23
Hello,

Would be helpful to see you TeaTimer log, called "Resident.log".
It should be stored here:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Logs\

Thanks. :)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

andre.ledo
2008-09-25, 15:27
Hi, Sandra.

The log you asked:

25/9/2008 09:31:22 Allowed (based on user decision) value "{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}" (new data: "") deleted in Browser Helper Object!
25/9/2008 09:32:04 Allowed (based on authenticode whitelist) value "SpybotSD TeaTimer" (new data: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe") added in System Startup user entry!
25/9/2008 09:32:13 Allowed (based on authenticode whitelist) value "{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}" (new data: "") added in Browser Helper Object!

Thank you!

Big hug!

André

free_fall
2008-09-25, 19:19
I've been wrestling with fixing this problem all morning and the new 1.6.2 seemed to fix it BUT ...

THE TEA-TIMER TRAY ICON ISN"T THERE NOW, so I wasn't sure it was fixed and kept futzing around with it for longer than was probably needed (before I made it to the end of the thread here and saw that mentioned).

If I uncheck the Resident boxes, close and reopen the program and recheck the boxes, THEN the systray icon reappears but disappears again after a reboot. Checking the log and Processes in SM shows it's working but the missing icon might cause other people to be confused as I was.

On a related note, I started getting the original error after I installed MS Zune software last week when I bought a Zune. I'm pretty sure I had the 1.6.2.23 update installed prior to that and I only started getting the error messages in the last couple of days.

Thanks for the fix, btw - you might look into the disappearing tray icon though.

GA8572
2008-09-26, 02:51
Hi

My (new) TeaTimer is now loading at boot time and no longer giving the error message described in previous posts. However, as with the other most recent posters, TT will not display in the system tray. Unchecking then rechecking TT from within SD forces display of the TT icon, but it is once again not displayed on next boot up.

Here are the contents of my Resident.log:

---------------------------------------------------------------
27/08/2008 1:33:39 PM Denied (based on user decision) value "QuickTime Task" (new data: ""C:\Program Files\Multimedia\Quicktime\qttask.exe" -atboottime") added in System Startup global entry!
8/09/2008 3:41:52 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "!CleanupNetMeetingDispDriver" (new data: ""C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe" msconf.dll,CleanupNetMeetingDispDriver 0") added in System Startup global entry!
8/09/2008 3:48:36 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "!CleanupNetMeetingDispDriver" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
8/09/2008 4:09:27 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "!CleanupNetMeetingDispDriver" (new data: ""C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe" msconf.dll,CleanupNetMeetingDispDriver 0") added in System Startup global entry!
8/09/2008 4:40:21 PM Allowed (based on user whitelist) value "!CleanupNetMeetingDispDriver" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
20/09/2008 10:44:47 AM Allowed (based on authenticode whitelist) value "SpybotSD TeaTimer" (new data: "C:\Program Files\Diagnostic\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe /errorverbose") changed in System Startup user entry!
25/09/2008 12:45:49 PM Tracking Shutdown: now waiting for shutdown event...
25/09/2008 12:45:49 PM Tracking Shutdown: now removing tray icon...
25/09/2008 12:45:49 PM Tracking Shutdown: now finalizing main class...
25/09/2008 12:45:51 PM Tracking Shutdown: now removing atom...
25/09/2008 12:45:51 PM Tracking Shutdown: should be finished now.
25/09/2008 12:46:37 PM Allowed (based on authenticode whitelist) value "SpybotSD TeaTimer" (new data: "C:\Program Files\Diagnostic\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe") added in System Startup user entry!
---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks again for your help. Despite the icon non-display issue, it is a big relief to have the original bug fixed.

Regards

GA

spybotsandra
2008-09-26, 12:51
Hello,

For those who do not get a TeaTimer icon displayed in the system tray:

Do you run any other security tools?
One reported that he is running also McAfee......"the SysTray icon for McAfee (Enterprise 8.5i) also does not display."

So any other icons that you are missing?
Any updates, service packs etc. that you have downloaded or that might change anything in your system?

Thanks. :)

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

GA8572
2008-09-27, 06:08
Hi

I am missing the TT icon, and I have WinXP Pro with SP3, and avast 4.8. I am also missing my sndvol32.exe icon from the system tray. I have not set Windows to hide inactive icons.

Regards

GA

Cardiac
2008-09-28, 15:48
Hello everyone,

First off, I wish to thank all the experts for the patience and support with this issue. Now, I have updated Teatimer to the last version (1.6.2.23), confirmed two ways through the system tray icon=>about and tools=>report. And so far, no more errors messages... yay!!!

I know TeaTimer is running, I checked under the task manager. However, where is the .exe file??? It's not under c:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy, so where is it? System startup says it's being called from that directory, so it the file isn't located there wouldn't that result in an error message?

Cardiac
2008-09-28, 16:13
Hello everyone,

First off, I wish to thank all the experts for the patience and support with this issue. Now, I have updated Teatimer to the last version (1.6.2.23), confirmed two ways through the system tray icon=>about and tools=>report. And so far, no more errors messages... yay!!!

I know TeaTimer is running, I checked under the task manager. However, where is the .exe file??? It's not under c:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy, so where is it? System startup says it's being called from that directory, so it the file isn't located there wouldn't that result in an error message?

Sorry, version is 1.6.3.25 and now I'm not getting the system tray icon upon startup.

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-28, 17:51
Cardiac:

... where is the .exe file??? It's not under c:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy, so where is it? System startup says it's being called from that directory, so it the file isn't located there wouldn't that result in an error message?
It's there. It's just hidden.

Starting with Spybot 1.5.2 some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
Uncheck the following option:
Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
The files should now be displayed
Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.

Cardiac
2008-09-28, 18:01
Cardiac:

It's there. It's just hidden.

Starting with Spybot 1.5.2 some of Spybot's executables are hidden as protected operating system files. To see them:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
Uncheck the following option:
Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
The files should now be displayed
Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.

Doh! I didn't think that it was hidden... how amateur of me... :oops:

Also, is there a SAFE way to test if the popup windows displays correctly when a registry change is made? Just to be sure everything works ok...

md usa spybot fan
2008-09-28, 18:17
Cardiac:

... Also, is there a SAFE way to test if the popup windows displays correctly when a registry change is made? Just to be sure everything works ok...
One way of testing TeaTimer is to disable and enable the "SDHelper" BHO:
Go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode » Tools » Resident. Under the heading "Resident protection status" you will see: Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
Uncheck:
Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
TeaTimer should issue a popup dialog for deletion of the BHO.
Allow the change.
Check:
Resident "SDHelper" (Internet Explorer bad download blocker) active.
TeaTimer will not issue a popup dialog because it automatically allows the addition of the BHO for "SDHelper". Exit Tools » Resident and go back into Tools » Resident and you can verify that in the resident log.

Cardiac
2008-09-28, 18:22
It worked... awesome! Thanks a million, Spybot truly has the best support staff!

as_floussou
2008-09-28, 22:45
Hello,

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Rappel :Message d'erreur
System settings protector

System settings protector a rencontré un problème et doit fermer. Nous vous prions de nous excuser

pour le désagrément encouru.

Signature de l"erreur
AppName: teatimer.exe AppVer: 1.6.2.23 ModName: kernel32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 0001eb33

N.B. : Antivirus : Avast 4.8

Best regards
as_floussou
:snorkle:

andre.ledo
2008-10-11, 14:45
Hi, everybody!

Teatimer starts and gets stable with Windows, but no icon on system tray...no solution yet?

Someone with this problem have a solution?

I'll be waiting...

Big hug!

md usa spybot fan
2008-10-11, 16:23
andre.ledo:

Make sure the "Spybot-SD Resident" icon is not set to "Always hide":
Right-click the taskbar, and then click Properties.
On the Taskbar tab, under Notification area, select the Hide inactive icons check box.
Click Customize.
In the Name column, click "Spybot-SD Resident".
In the Behavior column, may sure "Always hide" is not selected. Select "Hide when inactive" and then click OK.
On the Taskbar tab, click Apply.

sbarnold
2008-10-12, 01:59
I got the exact same errors after updating. The second one says "application error - unable to create tray icon" and a bunch of other hex crap. I'm removing your program and will wait until the next big release. Hopefully you'll have it fixed by then. LAME.

PepiMK
2008-10-12, 17:59
@sbarnold: are you sure you have updated? That error was already fixed in the TeaTimer update a few weeks ago.

@andre.ledo: could you check if other icons are missing as well? So far, I've heard from various cases that e.g. McAfee icons do not appear either.

andre.ledo
2008-10-13, 15:26
andre.ledo:

Make sure the "Spybot-SD Resident" icon is not set to "Always hide":
Right-click the taskbar, and then click Properties.
On the Taskbar tab, under Notification area, select the Hide inactive icons check box.
Click Customize.
In the Name column, click "Spybot-SD Resident".
In the Behavior column, may sure "Always hide" is not selected. Select "Hide when inactive" and then click OK.
On the Taskbar tab, click Apply.

Hi, MD!

Tanx for your answer!

No icon with the "Always Hide" set. All with "Hide When Incactive" set.

Answering our big friend PepiMK (Hi!), no missing icons at all. All fine.

I got new updates last saturday. After that I turned off.

Today, at Win startup, Teatimer tray icon appeared.

I'll let you all know if it goes off next boot.

Big Hug!

andre.ledo
2008-10-14, 14:32
Hi, MD!

Tanx for your answer!

No icon with the "Always Hide" set. All with "Hide When Incactive" set.

Answering our big friend PepiMK (Hi!), no missing icons at all. All fine.

I got new updates last saturday. After that I turned off.

Today, at Win startup, Teatimer tray icon appeared.

I'll let you all know if it goes off next boot.

Big Hug!

Morning, everybody!

Today, no Teatimer icon on system tray...as usual this days...

Teatimer working fine...

SDHelper working fine...

SB-S&D working fine...

Getting all updates, as it should...

...but no icon...